Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tibetan translation

• 21-04-2013 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Danin

Hi
    I was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for getting some English text translated to Tibetan which I plan to integrate into part of an ongoing half sleeve. I'm not to confident in computer generated translation so any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
    Danin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Most translation companies don't really translate text for tattoos, if you do find somewhere that does expect to pay at least 60 for the translation though.

I guess you could try some Buddhist organisations too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

oh, you'd want to spend at least 7 years in a tibetan monestary before you even THINK about getting a tattoo like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

oh, you'd want to spend at least 7 years in a tibetan monestary before you even THINK about getting a tattoo like that...

And why would you say that? You haven't even been told what they want to get done?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

go to buddist temple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

As you've pretty much just confirmed with me that you're just taking the piss, but please don't post to threads where people are genuinely looking for advice just to take the piss. A bit of banter is grand, but don't just take the piss in serious threads.

• Advertisement

• P_1 wrote: »
    Most translation companies don't really translate text for tattoos, if you do find somewhere that does expect to pay at least 60 for the translation though.

I guess you could try some Buddhist organisations too?

Where do you get that idea? I'm a translator and I translate all kinds of things. You just need to use a native translator and to explain what the translation is going to be used for. I wouldn't charge anything like 60 euro for the translation of a word or short piece of text. That said, I'm not sure there are many people working from English into Tibetan, but there are bound to be some.

Where do you get that idea? I'm a translator and I translate all kinds of things. You just need to use a native translator and to explain what the translation is going to be used for. I wouldn't charge anything like 60 euro for the translation of a word or short piece of text. That said, I'm not sure there are many people working from English into Tibetan, but there are bound to be some.

Sorry I meant actual translation companies as opposed to freelance translators. I used to work for one. Yeah I'd say Tibetan is a pretty hard one to find though

• P_1 wrote: »
    Sorry I meant actual translation companies as opposed to freelance translators. I used to work for one. Yeah I'd say Tibetan is a pretty hard one to find though

Surely most translation agencies employ freelance translators. That's where I get all my work :confused: I don't do Tibetan though, unfortunately, but someone must!

Surely most translation agencies employ freelance translators. That's where I get all my work :confused: I don't do Tibetan though, unfortunately, but someone must!

They do (well the one I worked in did anyway). What tends to happen is that the customer is charged a minimum fee though, that's where I was getting the 60 figure from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

I'm guessing that you will find it difficult to get an Irish company that Translates English to Tibetan (I'm open to correction though!)

A simple google will get you a number of companies. The best thing is that you arent restricted to an Irish company....anybody around the world that can do it is available to you!

My opinion is that you should get it translated by at least 2 companies...last thing you want is that somebody gives you a bad translation and you end up with something that is meaningless (or is taking the p*ss outta you)

Can I ask you why Tibetan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

If I needed a translation into a relatively uncommon language like Tibetan I'd probably go and ask a nice Tibetan studies nerd for a recommendation for a native Tibetan speaker who might help you out (the wonderful thing about language nerds is they'll often do something just for the love of the language & they'll be able to point you away from phrases that just don't translate) There appears to be just such a lady working in UCC

http://research.ucc.ie/profiles/B007/ywchen

who has just published a book on Tibetan studies & might be able to point you in the direction of someone who can help

Advertisement