Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whole/semi-skimmed/skimmed milk and lid colours

Options
  • 21-04-2013 12:31pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This discussion came up this morning and it got me thinking. I live in the UK and it's generally the rule that semi-skimmed milk comes with a green lid, skimmed has a red lid and whole milk has a blue lid. But we couldn't think if there's the same trend in Ireland, or does every brand have its own colours? I *think* Dawn milk tends to have red caps for whole milk, and either green or yellow for semi-skimmed. What about the other brands?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It can be different here, depending on the brand you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Avonmore do it with the packaging colours - blue for full milk, pink for low-fat & red for super-milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

CMP do it - blue caps/labels for whole milk, green for semi skimmed and pink for skimmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Yes I agree it would be nice to have a standard in place. I have yet to figure one out across the major producers. When I order a cappuccino or latte at a coffee shop and ask for "skinny" it is sometimes hard to tell if the barista is using the correct kind of milk.

Now what is even more confusing is that "skinny" in the UK seems to be non-fat/fat free while skinny in Ireland seems to always be low-fat which could be 1% or 2% depending upon the milk brand. A topic for another thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Avonmore do it with the packaging colours - blue for full milk, pink for low-fat & red for super-milk.

Pink is the skimmed, light blue is low fat. Yellow is buttermilk
    dairy1.jpg

In the past Supermilk was also low fat as standard. It never really advertised it as such and I think many people thought it was full fat with added vitamins, I always did till I read the pack. I think many in the fitness forum did too (who wanted full fat for weightlifting/bodybuilding).

More recently they have brought out a full fat & low fat version of the supermilks. The whole one has some blue on the mainly red packet, and the other now specificially says "low fat".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That'll tell you how much of the grocery shopping I do.
    Close, but no cigar. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

sainsburys do an orange lid for skimmed milk as well as red in UK

Advertisement