Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake 50 euro.

Options
  • 21-04-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3 kevd87

Hi, I'm just looking for some advice. Last week I accidently took in a fake 50 Euro while working in Centra. My manger now wants me to pay that 50 Euro back out of my own pay-check. Is that legal?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

don't know, but be sure to get the fake one off him if he does take it out of your pay

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭thefa

Were you given any training/equipment to check for counterfeits?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Check your work contract.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Make sure it's reported to the police and tell your employer to claim it off his fire and theft insurance. This is not legal advice. Simply a practical solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kevd87

I never signed a contract. And no training either. I was only showed the pen you use to check them after I had already taken the fake note in. I'm not paying anyway. I would just like to give the manager some sort of document to back up my not paying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Tom Young wrote: »
    Make sure it's reported to the police and tell your employer to claim it off his fire and theft insurance. This is not legal advice. Simply a practical solution.

Any policy I have seen will not pay out on a sum like that. The excess alone would swallow it up.

If its in the contract, and the staff member had been trained what to look for, then they are liable for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

kevd87 wrote: »
    I never signed a contract. And no training either. I was only showed the pen you use to check them after I had already taken the fake note in. I'm not paying anyway. I would just like to give the manager some sort of document to back up my not paying.

Other half works in Centra, if a fake was taken in the Manager may grumble but thats it. Certainly wouldn't attempt to take money from her wages.

And she received basic training on how to spot a fake.

Contact your Union,they should be able to tell you very clearly what you can and can't do.

http://www.mandate.ie/Contact/Default.aspx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Nope. Not legal at all. If you never agreed to that in a written or a verbal contract, then you get paid for the hours you work, or it's away to the Labour Relations Commission you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kevd87

Sound! Thanks for the advice. I'm just going to say no anyway and see what happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Its also a legal requirement to be given a work contract or a written statement of the T&Cs of employment, fines can be imposed on him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

If he wants to make someone responsible then tell him to check the CCTV for whoever handed over the note and report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was always told that when working on tills you could n't be made pay for issues form your wages because it went against 'The payment of wages act 1991'

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/act/pub/0025/

Though I'm sure if it was to be written in to a contract then the employer could do as they please if the employee has agreed to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I was always told that when working on tills you could n't be made pay for issues form your wages because it went against 'The payment of wages act 1991'

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/act/pub/0025/

Though I'm sure if it was to be written in to a contract then the employer could do as they please if the employee has agreed to it.
    No contract can contravene your rights and/or the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Far be it for me to doubt you, but my last contract said I gave up my rights under the Working Time Directive to an 11hr rest period between shifts and a 48 hour week. I was one of thousands in Ireland that signed that contract and I'm not in the public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Far be it for me to doubt you, but my last contract said I gave up my rights under the Working Time Directive to an 11hr rest period between shifts and a 48 hour week. I was one of thousands in Ireland that signed that contract and I'm not in the public service.

He's still right though, no matter what is put down on paper,its must follow the Irish law. An old employer tried something like this before,I got a good laugh out of it and made him redo it.

For example they could get you to write down that you agree and accept to get paid €0.50 an hour with 5 minute break's every 10 hours and you are still entitled to the minimum wage relevant to your age/experience and the normal breaks.

They can parade it around,use it as evidence or make paper planes out of it,still can't use it to bypass the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There are exemptions set out in law: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html. If you didn't qualify under one of the exemptions, then you would be entitled to your rest breaks regardless of what the contract states

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 joehig

no he cant do that. the only thing he is allowed take out of your wages is tax, pension etc.. unless otherwise agreed. He can try pursuing you for it if he likes.

Advertisement