Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA 9 months rule

Options
  • 21-04-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi

I am on JB since 6th Dec 2012.
    I am wondering that if I will not find a job before September I will be entitled to BTEA if the academic year starts on 9th Sept 2013?
    I've read that I must be at least 9 months on the payment to qualify, but my JB is only for 9 months and then is gone and I will not be entitled to JA.
    What if I go on holidays or Illness Benefit during that 9 months? Will they count into the 9 month period?
    My other question is: if I find a part time job eg one day per week will I still be eligible for BTEA in September?

thanks for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

Dores wrote: »
    Hi

I am on JB since 6th Dec 2012.
    I am wondering that if I will not find a job before September I will be entitled to BTEA if the academic year starts on 9th Sept 2013?
    I've read that I must be at least 9 months on the payment to qualify, but my JB is only for 9 months and then is gone and I will not be entitled to JA.
    What if I go on holidays or Illness Benefit during that 9 months? Will they count into the 9 month period?
    My other question is: if I find a part time job eg one day per week will I still be eligible for BTEA in September?

thanks for your help!

Hi Dores. The 9 months on benefits does not have to be consecutive but does need to come to a total of 9 months. Benefits include JB and JA but illness benefit does not count unless it is for a period of 2 years or more. If you get a part time job you will recieve JB and fill in casual dockets that you fill in each week highlighting what days you have worked as you will not be able to claim for days worked but you can claim for the other days. This link contains information regarding BTEA http://http://www.losingyourjob.ie/options-for-education-and-training/back_to_education_allowance.html.en

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

thank you Shine7!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

To get BTEA for 3rd level you need to have 234 days receipt of benefit not counting Saturdays and Sundays. Dores you need to look back over your claim and see how many days Monday to Friday you will have by Sept 1st or the course start date.

thank you paperclip2, but are you sure that Saturdays are not included?
    And what about BH or Cristmas and Ester days?

I know its not counted for some DSP payments but I'll double check with the dept and get back to you.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot!

Ah the joy of public services. The local office said Saturday isn't counted so I checked with BTEA HQ and they said it is counted as a day of unemployment. I'd go with the BTEA HQ answer as they tend to be more on the ball. So for the purposes of BTEA eligibility Saturday IS counted as a day of unemployment. Apologies.

:)

Thank you for your effort!

Advertisement