Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a gym that provides gym clothes.

Options
  • 21-04-2013 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey,

I was wondering if there was a gym in the city center that provides gym clothes for you to train in. Like you go in, take the gyms t-shirt and shorts, train and dump them in the gyms laundry basket after for them to wash.

I've seen it done in some nice gyms abroad, but never in Ireland. It would just be super handy laundry wise.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

You're being ridiculous. You really are.

Buy your own gym clothes, and do your own laundry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Does your mum still make you lunch too.....lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Let's keep the replies constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hotel gyms will provide you with towels, just throw them in the basket when you are done.

Never heard of a gym that provides gear

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I don't think its ridiculous at all. You don't bring your own towels to and from the gym, or to and from swimming pools. You use the ones provided. What's the difference in using singlets or shorts that are provided by the gym? I personally would not care to work out in clothes that others have worn, but I don't think that the basic concept of it is that off the wall. Whatever about saving on laundry, it would be handy to be able to head out for dinner or whatever afterwards, and not have to to lug a gym bag around with you all night long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Would be a unique selling point for any gym if you ask me, that you dont have to bring gear to work, pre plan the whole thing, carry gear around all day. I think it's a superb idea, and if you dont like it, you dont have to avail of it, you can still bring your own gear.

Definitely a good idea OP. Dont know if it exists here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You don't bring your own towels to and from the gym, or to and from swimming pools. You use the ones provided.

Never heard of this, although if you forget your own towel in my gym/pool I think you can rent one (I think its an extortionate rate though).

Its certainly a good idea, personally Id prefer to work out in my own gear but I can see how it would be useful. It would add a huge expense to the gym though in terms of laundry and replacing due to wear and tear so can only imagine it being done in places that charge a huge membership fee.

Never heard of this, although if you forget your own towel in my gym/pool I think you can rent one (I think its an extortionate rate though).

My old gym (Sanovitae in the IFSC) gave you a hand towel if you were just using the gym. If you were using the pool, you got a proper towel and a smaller hand/hair towel. You paid a 2 euro deposit, and you got it back when you deposited the towels in the hamper on your way out. Don't think that gym gear would add all that much to the laundry bill really. Thick, bulky towels would take longer to wash and dry than thin singlets and T shirts would.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Graki_Khan

Well... I lived in South Korea for two years and this concept is pretty popular over there.

I mean, if you go to the gym 5 or more times a week, carrying extra clothes almost every day and keeping up with the laundry can be a pain.

I don't really get why this idea is to funny... Do you guys also laugh at dry cleaners?

Think it is a very Irish thing knee jerk reaction be honest. Rip the ever loving piss out of any and every thing that seems even remotely different to how we do things. And if it something that the average Irish Mammy would have a heart attack over the frivolity and expense of, then so much the better ! And what would make more Irish Mammies turn over in their graves, than some one wanting a short cut when it comes to doing laundry? How bloody dare we ! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Let's keep it on topic please. Other posters have already been asked to provide constructive replies.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You don't bring your own towels to and from the gym, or to and from swimming pools.
    havent got a clue where you've been training or swimming....I'd consider myself working class,am I missing out on something?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Most gyms charge for the use of towels, afaik, at least the one I worked in did. This was because of the volume of towels stolen on a regular basis.

I know of no gym that loans out clothes. I'd imagine that they don't for three main reasons; 1) Hygiene. If someone with scabies or something infected the clothes then the gym could be liable for passing the infection on. 3) Theft. The clothes would be stolen, no 'if's, 'and's, or 'but's. 3) They would have to be able to provide enough clothing, in various different sizes, to clothe the gym at maximum capacity because they would be subject to all kinds of complaints if they didn't. If they were to advertise that they provided gym clothes then they'd have to have enough for potential demand.

Some gyms may loan, or let you have, stuff from lost property if you've forgotten something, but they will always stress that if you catch anything they can't be held responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

What an odd idea.

Reminds me of being in primary school and a kid wee'ing themselves getting the 'loaner' uniform.

returnNull wrote: »
    havent got a clue where you've been training or swimming....I'd consider myself working class,am I missing out on something?

I mentioned both the name and location of the gym 4 posts above your own. If you are going to make sarcastic comments about my posts, may I respectfully request that you actually read them first? :)

Anyway, I think we are getting away with ourselves on the hygiene thing. In hotels, we sleep on sheets that others have slept on. In hotel bathrooms, we use the towels that others have used. In hotels with a fitness center and pool, we use the towels provided at the desk that you check in at when you enter. In saunas and spas, we use the towels provided there.

We trust them all to launder their towels & we use them without a qualm, don't we? Using a gym singlet that has been freshly laundered, and that you can tell has been freshly laundered, is not a million miles removed from that imo. Paying a refundable deposit up front should take care of people not making off with the gear.

Advertisement