Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Chelsea 4:00pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Why bite people though? What's the thought process there :confused:

There isn't any.

Some people just go ape****.

I had a friend once and he'd get so worked up even playing a game of football on the green that he might boot the ball at someones head or just generally throw a tantrum. Maybe take a swing at someone.

A lovely intelligent lad he is. Seriously sound. But some people just completely lose control.

Plenty of times that players get too worked up and assault a player and try to pretend it was a tackle.
    Carragher against Nani a few years ago was an example. There had been a bad tackle beforehand the ref hadn't seen and Carra went mental.
    Gerrard's done it loads of times.

Suarez is worse than anyone else at losing control.
    I'd still rather he was doing sly petulant **** than doing something that could seriously injure someone.

I'm not sure how people are so utterly blind to some of the ****-acting that goes on in football and sort of shrug their shoulders at it "ah sure, he didn't mean it."

Some of the **** footballers pull on the pitch would land you in jail under different circumstances.
    See Ben Thatcher/Pedro Mendes. That'd be 5 years in prison at least if you did it off the pitch.

And then people get worked up over a trivial non-event like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Are we really suggesting the pushing someones head away as they are eating your arm is violent conduct? :confused:

I can't believe what I am reading. There is always someone who will defend the undefendable.

Sky are an absolute disgrace, stirring sh1t from the final whistle onwards. You would swear people died on the pitch listening to the reporter talking to Rodgers. He should have told him to pis5 off.

Why didnt they spend every second talking about Nasri leaving the foot in in tr first game, that could actually injure someone. It's a nip on the arm not a shooting spree. People need to stop lapping up sky's crap talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Fox Soccer have it right

BIZNnsDCIAEbIbR.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fox Soccer have it right

BIZNnsDCIAEbIbR.jpg

In American sport that would be far more heinous a crime I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Plenty of players like this that just lose the run of themselves when frustrated in competitive sport. Gattuso is the mildest guy ever when not playing ball but can turn into a right lunatic when thing aren't going his way.

Fair play to Ivanovic for not retaliating, I'd say it must have been difficult to restrain himself from decking Luis.

Did u not see him swinging a punch at him.

Controversial as it may seem, and allowing that its Suarez and the sky media team will have a field day with this. Does this not show yet again, how defenders who cannot defend, hold onto players illegially to stop them running. Its actually Suarez who has been caught retaliating against a player that constantly is left drag and pull at him by the referee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Are we really suggesting the pushing someones head away as they are eating your arm is violent conduct? :confused:

I can't believe what I am reading. There is always someone who will defend the undefendable.

I am not defending the indefensible, It is against the rules to raise your hands to an opponent no matter what the circumstances. I already said that Suarez should have walked but it's very easy for people to forget the rules when it suits them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

what else would the fa do

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »

Nothing here yet

http://www.thefa.com/News

They have to wait for the referees report cant go ahead with video evidence when it suits them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Why bite people though? What's the thought process there :confused:

That's probably for the professionals, it isn't as if this is a single incident.

Btw there's a few wind up posts here and they are getting the reaction they want.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

It's the only way Suarez could get a taste of Champions League football

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

adaminho wrote: »
    I am not defending the indefensible, It is against the rules to raise your hands to an opponent no matter what the circumstances. I already said that Suarez should have walked but it's very easy for people to forget the rules when it suits them!

Look at post number 745. Ivanovich pushes Suarez head away with his hand as Suarez chows down on his arm. What would a reasonable person do in this circumstance? The reasonable person test is often used in cases where there is dispute at the level of defence used. So it could be used in this case only that the accusation is so laughable given the circumstances that I doubt anyone else other than you will raise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Ivanovic should have knocked the little **** out, professionalism isn't a factor when someone's chewing on your arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

This is laughable, punish the guy trying to force the guy off his arm that's been bitten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Did u not see him swinging a punch at him.

Controversial as it may seem, and allowing that its Suarez and the sky media team will have a field day with this. Does this not show yet again, how defenders who cannot defend, hold onto players illegially to stop them running. Its actually Suarez who has been caught retaliating against a player that constantly is left drag and pull at him by the referee.

Why are so many people so confused about what a punch is? If you think that's a punch you may get a rude awakening one day if you ever get into a fight

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Would love to see Liverpool fans defend Suarez this time. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour. I hope he is banned for the rest of the season and then get sold on.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Would love to see Liverpool fans defend Suarez this time. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour. I hope he is banned for the rest of the season and then get sold on.

Rest of the season isnt long enough imo. Only 4 games left

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Read the ****ing thread, pretty much every Liverpool fan is slating him for it yet we get garbage jibes @ Liverpool fans regardless.

250389.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Look at post number 745. Ivanovich pushes Suarez head away with his hand as Suarez chows down on his arm. What would a reasonable person do in this circumstance? The reasonable person test is often used in cases where there is dispute at the level of defence used. So it could be used in this case only that the accusation is so laughable given the circumstances that I doubt anyone else other than you will raise it.

Self defense is a legal defense, it is not applicable to football rules. The rules state that raising your hands to an opponent is a red card card offense!

Dcully wrote: »
    Read the ****ing thread, pretty every much Liverpool fan is slating him for it yet we get garbage jibes @ Liverpool fans regardless.

Just the usual then

Read the ****ing thread, pretty every much Liverpool fan is slating him for it yet we get this garbage regardless.

In fairness while I think only 1 or 2 (and I assume they were looking for reactions and not being serious) made 'defences' a good few tried to deflect and still are. Pinning anything on Ivanovic is just ridiculous.

Out of interest, and not necessarily asking you but you may want to answer, what do you think is the right punishment here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

article-2312530-196B389F000005DC-779_634x372.jpg
    Samuel_L._Jackson_Pulp_fiction_2.png

Yes it is, Its against the rules to raise your hand to an opponent no matter what the provocation! If you want to throw the rule book at Suarez for breaching the rules (justified) you also have to apply the same rules to Ivanovic! Violent conduct is violent conduct even if one is more distasteful ( pardon the pun) than the other!

That's some funny stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I hope he stays tbh. He is clearly bat**** mental and the league needs more people like this. And yes, I do know he tried to bite somebody today. He can stay if he promises to score fewer goals.

He's in the next Simpsons episode:

cvPk3e2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Self defense is a legal defense, it is not applicable to football rules. The rules state that raising your hands to an opponent is a red card card offense!

Stop. Just......stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Felexicon wrote: »
    250389.jpg

Is that even supposed to be funny?

In fairness while I think only 1 or 2 (and I assume they were looking for reactions and not being serious) made 'defences' a good few tried to deflect and still are. Pinning anything on Ivanovic is just ridiculous.

Out of interest, and not necessarily asking you but you may want to answer, what do you think is the right punishment here?

A ban without question for a start,similar to the one he got at Ajax imo, Ofcourse id like us to get as many points as possible therefore want him to play every game buy my head says otherwise.
    No offence to anyone left defending him still but as a pool fan of 30+ years you simply cannot defend this im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Next up on the Luis Suarez menu:

Juicy Jaaskelainen.
    Andy Cassaroll.
    FerNando's Torres.
    Shaun Wright Fillets.
    Philip Lamb.
    Jaap Ham.
    Kieran Ribs.
    Bacary Lasagne.
    Robbie Cabbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I'd guess that he had loads of pints.
    Hold up. If someone is trying to latch on to your arm with their teeth, what are you to do. Ask them to "please stop eating me". I wouldn't mind but Ivanovic didn't punch him or anything, he pushed his face away from his arm

I'd need to see it again tbh, as i only had the game on in the background on a shítty stream

but if Ivanovic pushed him away first (self defence) then threw him to the ground in another movement, then would it not be seen as a reaction/raising hand/whatever you want to call it

like if someone was biting you, you get away with punching them once as self defence but if you started beating the head off them, you'd get charged too

now obviously Ivanovic didn't beat the head off him, but did he react after the self defence? If so, that poster has a point

though like i said, i'd didn't have the best video of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

If it ends up in the referee's report and the FA can't/don't do anything about it, I hope this incident is the catalyst required for them to change this ridiculous policy. Defoe's bite years ago, Rooney elbowing Mccarthy off the ball, McManaman on Haidara last month, and countless others all let go by the FA because they were seen by the ref. It's a ridiculous situation.

Must have got lessons from this man

javier231006_228x228.jpg

The start of the match left a lump in my throat. Listening to the passionate fans singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone', looking at all the banners remembering a great history of a great club. Liverpool fans are some of the best and passionate in the world and as a Man U fan I would much prefer to see them challenging for the Premier League than Man City or Chelsea. I do think that Suarez has let the club down though. Great players like Rush, Dalglish, even Torres always had class along with great ability and were people you could admire. Suarez is not cut from the same cloth. I would put him in the same bracket as the Bartons, Ben Thatchers, John Terrys, Dioufs of this world. It is a shame though as the man has great talent. If only he could control the other side of his personality.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Next up on the Luis Suarez menu:

Juicy Jaaskelainen.
    Andy Cassaroll.
    FerNando's Torres.
    Shaun Wright Fillets.
    Philip Lamb.
    Jaap Ham.
    Kieran Ribs.
    Bacary Lasagne.
    Robbie Cabbage.

lol but the game ended 2 hours ago or so did it take you that long to think of them? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Why are so many people so confused about what a punch is? If you think that's a punch you may get a rude awakening one day if you ever get into a fight

I was replying to the person that said he did not retaliate, he did. Why did he retaliate, becuase Suarez bit him, why did suarez bite him, because Ivanovic was fouling him. I don't condone what Luis did, but we all expect the sky sports news team to go into overdrive seeing as its Luiz again. The point I am making is that holding players off the ball is not playing football, it is an illegal tactic to hold players that can play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Kirby wrote: »
    Stop. Just......stop.

Why should he? He is actually correct. IF (he didn't I know) Ivanovic had punched Suarez, he would have gotten a 3 game ban. Many, many players have gotten bans for retaliation.

Also, putting aside the moral outrage, what is the grounds for Suarez getting more than a 3 game ban? Genuine question. There is no defending what Suarez did, but doesn't it come under the heading of violent conduct, albeit a pretty ugly version of it?

The start of the match left a lump in my throat. Listening to the passionate fans singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone', looking at all the banners remembering a great history of a great club. Liverpool fans are some of the best and passionate in the world and as a Man U fan I would much prefer to see them challenging for the Premier League than Man City or Chelsea. I do think that Suarez has let the club down though. Great players like Rush, Dalglish, even Torres always had class along with great ability and were people you could admire. Suarez is not cut from the same cloth. I would put him in the same bracket as the Bartons, Ben Thatchers, John Terrys, Dioufs of this world. It is a shame though as the man has great talent. If only he could control the other side of his personality.

Torres class, a dive and an elbow would indicate otherwise

• Advertisement

Why is a nip on the arm so bad? I can't see the big deal with it myself. You see head butts and punches in games, bad tackles with no intention of winnig the ball and yet people are happy with yellow cards or at worst 3 match bans. Yet a pretty harmless nip through the jersey of another player that's never going to get close to injuring the opponent is treated like this. I just can't see why.

I really hope it's in the refs report I will laugh so much if the media fail to achieve their target of getting him banned.

Read the ****ing thread, pretty much every Liverpool fan is slating him for it yet we get garbage jibes @ Liverpool fans regardless.

I did read the thread before posting. Thanks. I'm not talking exclusively about Boards. Maybe you should consider that before posting. I've had one lad on Facebook defending him saying Ivanovic shoved him and that he was niggling him all day.

Lollerific imho.

I hope he is sold on. That's twice in his career. He had just about put all the controversy behind his, was having a superb season and he does this.

thought Ivanovic came out of it well to be honest

Why is a nip on the arm so bad? I can't see the big deal with it myself. You see head butts and punches in games, bad tackles with no intention of winnig the ball and yet people are happy with yellow cards or at worst 3 match bans. Yet a pretty harmless nip through the jersey of another player that's never going to get close to injuring the opponent is treated like this. I just can't see why.

wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

These need posting again apparently.

1366561968043.gif
    SUAREZ-BITE.gif

Ivanovic's hand is open. He pushes Suarez away and not with enough force to put him on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Benimar wrote: »
    Why should he? He is actually correct. IF (he didn't I know) Ivanovic had punched Suarez, he would have gotten a 3 game ban. Many, many players have gotten bans for retaliation.

Didn't punch him.

Also, putting aside the moral outrage, what is the grounds for Suarez getting more than a 3 game ban? Genuine question. There is no defending what Suarez did, but doesn't it come under the heading of violent conduct, albeit a pretty ugly version of it?

Yeah, it's amazing, like there is some sort of scale of how serious each incident is. Like when Cantona was banned for 8 months for kicking a fan. Or when Ben Thatcher was banned for 9 games for sparking Mendes out with an elbow. Sure twas only violent conduct. 3 games each, I reckon.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'm not talking exclusively about Boards. Maybe you should consider that before posting. I've had one lad on Facebook defending him saying Ivanovic shoved him and that he was niggling him all day.

Okay the next time ill stop to think about your facebook page before posting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Benimar wrote: »

A good point. Look at the Ben Thatcher/Pedro Mendes incident for precedent of what they can do above and beyond the established rules of the game. It's a far, far more extreme example of violence on a football pitch but it is a precedent of what they can do all the same. Given the attention this will get, don't be surprised if an exception is made.

I did read the thread before posting. Thanks. I'm not talking exclusively about Boards. Maybe you should consider that before posting. I've had one lad on Facebook defending him saying Ivanovic shoved him and that he was niggling him all day.

Lollerific imho.

I hope he is sold on. That's twice in his career. He had just about put all the controversy behind his, was having a superb season and he does this.

Some guy on Facebook defended what he did? So bloody what :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I really hope it's in the refs report I will laugh so much if the media fail to achieve their target of getting him banned.

It's a scummy thing to do. Sure why get worked up if someone spits in your face??
    Sure a drop of saliva wouldn't hurt ya.
    Some people.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Why is a nip on the arm so bad? I can't see the big deal with it myself. You see head butts and punches in games, bad tackles with no intention of winnig the ball and yet people are happy with yellow cards or at worst 3 match bans. Yet a pretty harmless nip through the jersey of another player thans never going to get close to injuring the opponent is treated like this. I just can't see why.

You don't see why? So your logic is, because nobody is "hurt" by a bite.....its not a big deal? Nobody is injured?

Sure it's just a bit of saliva. Where's the harm? It's just a spit. A bad tackle is much worse.

Sure it's only words. "F*g" or "homo" can't hurt me. I can just ignore it. "N*gger" is just a word. I'm just glad that he didn't tackle me.

You can apply your sort of logic to anything. No, Ivanovic isn't hurt. But is that the point? It was a nasty thing to do and it has no place in the game. "Nobody was hurt" is an awful argument to have.

Edit: I see Campo beat me to the punch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement