Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Chelsea 4:00pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ya your right. Listen tbh I don't think liverpool fans really care what other fans think of Suarez. The fact is he gives everything he has when he puts in the liverpool shirt. It's a lot easier to forgive a moment of madness than it is to forgive a lack of effort.

But thats the thing. It isn't A moment of madness. It's several. Its stamps and elbows and dives and facking racism. It shouldnt be tolerated by fans. He's dragged the clubs name into the gutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Timmyctc wrote: »
    But thats the thing. It isn't A moment of madness. It's several. Its stamps and elbows and dives and facking racism. It shouldnt be tolerated by fans. He's dragged the clubs name into the gutter.

Who did he stamp on. Who did he elbow. Every club has a players that dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Timmyctc wrote: »

United and Chelsea are both packed full of those kinds of players, I haven't seen it bothering either sets of those fans. Nearly every team has a detestable character in it and fans generally don't give a toss, especially if that player is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The most outraged fans are in here tonight are Utd fans!

Cantona was the best eva.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Stamped on a zenit defender and a wigan defender. Elbowed Ivanovic this reverse fixture i think. Stuck his finger in Scott parkers eye and kicked him in chest in one match I believe. Dives more often than most. Every club doesn't have players that dive and do all of the above + more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

K-9 wrote: »

Lol cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Distin Achilles incident is the sort of thing that pisses people off.

I love to hate Suarez in the pantomime villain sense, he's a smashing player who plays for another club and gives plenty of reasons to dislike.

However there's a line where the antics become indefensible, many will say it was the Evra incident but today's should be the clincher. A scumbag act in any walk of life and no amount of goals or match winning performances should be used as to condone it.

He should get six months, and it could be the end of his Liverpool career. In some ways it's a pity because, as I said, I love to hate him. Fantastic player but a more than questionable character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Wtf has this got to do with Cantona?

RasTa wrote: »
    Wtf has this got to do with Cantona?

You don't see why? Do I have to spell it out?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Stamped on a zenit player. Dont recall any clear elbows but he was accused of punching a player vs Chile recently.

If he picks up a large ban (likely) this' ll be 3 seasons in a row he's picked up a lengty ban (7 for biting in Netherlands, 8 for Evra incident)

Regardless of his skill, any top club would be reluctant to risk big money on a guy who misses the equivalent of 1/5 of the league each year tgrough suspension

• Advertisement

You brought it up so yeah.

You brought it up so yeah.

A revered player, some see him as the best player ever to play at the club. Can you think of any character flaws he had? Any little controversial incidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

We're talking about what happens on the pitch here. If Giggs did that on the pitch I'm sure it would be talked about a bit more.

A revered player, some see him as the best player ever to play at the club. Can you think of any character flaws he had? Any little controversial incidents?

I remember him kicking a national front Crystal Palace fan obviously but he got an 8 month ban for that? Still don't see why your bringing it up.

Anything else Cantona did on the field that was dirty?

Honestly though. What does Eric Cantona kicking a fan after being sent off against Palace have to do with Luis Suarez biting another player in 2013?

The only thing they have in common is that they are footballers gone mad.

It's good to see that Liverpool have learned from that PR disaster the last time. Suarez will be banned and will probably miss 4-6 games and we'll soon forget about it. The guys a pantomime villain. He's just going from one thing to the other. He had a ban from it before in Holland and didnt learn. He probably apologised then and didnt mean it either. That's not even red mist. It's sheer stupidity. He's obviously not very bright and he's proved that in the past. But he'll be a cult hero at Liverpool for it all and he's making a joke out of the club and a lot of fans too.

Pity too becuase he's a good player.

John Moncur to be fair

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The Distin Achilles incident is the sort of thing that pisses people off.

I love to hate Suarez in the pantomime villain sense, he's a smashing player who plays for another club and gives plenty of reasons to dislike.

However there's a line where the antics become indefensible, many will say it was the Evra incident but today's should be the clincher. A scumbag act in any walk of life and no amount of goals or match winning performances should be used as to condone it.

He should get six months, and it could be the end of his Liverpool career. In some ways it's a pity because, as I said, I love to hate him. Fantastic player but a more than questionable character.

6 months. You honestly think he should get 6 months or are you taking the piss.

6 months. You honestly think he should get 6 months or are you taking the piss.

Six months is about 16 league games so yeah seems fine to me.

You must agree with the rest of the post if the length of the ban is the only thing you're nitpicking.

Honestly though. What does Eric Cantona kicking a fan after being sent off against Palace have to do with Luis Suarez biting another player in 2013?

It's good to see that Liverpool have learned from that PR disaster the last time. Suarez will be banned and will probably miss 4-6 games and we'll soon forget about it. The guys a pantomime villain. He's just going from one thing to the other. He had a ban from it before in Holland and didnt learn. He probably apologised then and didnt mean it either. That's not even red mist. It's sheer stupidity. He's obviously not very bright and he's proved that in the past. But he'll be a cult hero at Liverpool for it all and he's making a joke out of the club and a lot of fans too.

He is making the point that utd fans are coming on here saying liverpool should get rid of Suarez yet they made a cult hero out of their own nutter they had in Cantona.

• Advertisement

Six months is about 16 league games so yeah seems fine to me.

You must agree with the rest of the post if the length of the ban is the only thing you're nitpicking.

16 league games and nobody was even hurt. The effort he puts in and the heart he puts in make me forgive him for a moment of madness.

I remember him kicking a national front Crystal Palace fan obviously but he got an 8 month ban for that? Still don't see why your bringing it up.

I never expected you to see the relevance, though I suspect you know rightly what I was getting at, right from the start, hence the National Front defence.

He had his moments. Punched a team mate while training, 3 month suspension for a dangerous tackle, kicked the ball at a crowd, fights with team mates, threw a ball at a referee, sent off in loads of games in England, spat at a fan.

All round nice guy overall, deserving of club legendary status.

He is making the point that utd fans are coming on here saying liverpool should get rid of Suarez yet they made a cult hero out of their own nutter they had in Cantona.

Oh I don't think Liverpool should get rid of Suarez. He's shown up a lot of fans in his time there. He's made a joke of a lot of people including a manager.

Also Cantona was a nutter but he wasn't Suarez and not even the most Liverpool tinted fan could say that. I hate comparing two players anyway in those terms.

For all those fans hoping that Suarez stays this is great news for you. I don't think most top European sides will touch him now this year.

16 league games and nobody was even hurt. The effort he puts in and the heart he puts in make me forgive him for a moment of madness.

We'll have to disagree. Biting and spitting are two things I hate to see on a football pitch and the bans for either should be lengthy.

It's understandable that your judgement is a bit clouded by how good/important a player Suarez is though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I hope someone reports him to the police ,

If it were any normal person they would be seeing the inside of cell this evening , a vile and scumbag thing to do .

Sure didnt JT have a case to answer in the courts for what he said on the pitch and I really hope this filty act is met with a knock on his door in the morning from the old bill !

I never expected you to see the relevance, though I suspect you know rightly what I was getting at, right from the start, hence the National Front defence.

He had his moments. Punched a team mate while training, 3 month suspension for a dangerous tackle, kicked the ball at a crowd, fights with team mates, threw a ball at a referee, sent off in loads of games in England, spat at a fan.

All round nice guy overall, deserving of club legendary status.

Punched a team mate, lol. Dig up dude.

I couldn't care what Suarez did btw but laughing at the pool fans like yourself who always have to compare your players to ours. So so sad.

darced wrote: »

Highlighted part Would imply we're judging based on those 90 mins a week wouldn't it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Not sure if my sarcasmeter is on the blink, but jaysus where do you begin with Cantonas misbehaviours. Most were pre-united but think he stamped on John Moncour (?) while at the club. His pre-united shenanigans include punching a teammate, throwing a boot at a teammate, calling his coach a bad of sh! t, 2 month ban for a dangerous tackle, spitting at fans.
    His kicking Richard Shaw (triggering the kungfu kick) seems to often get forgot about due to what happened next

The thing was, he worth the hassle to United. He made us champions. Liverpool now need to decide if Suarez is worth the hassle for them.

Also the fan he kicked was a twat, which probably colours peoples view of Cantona. If hed kicked some innocent chap who was minding his own business, it would probably have finished his time at United

• Advertisement

Oh I don't think Liverpool should get rid of Suarez. He's shown up a lot of fans in his time there. He's made a joke of a lot of people including a manager.

Also Cantona was a nutter but he wasn't Suarez and not even the most Liverpool tinted fan could say that. I hate comparing two players anyway in those terms.

For all those fans hoping that Suarez stays this is great news for you. I don't think most top European sides will touch him now this year.

Oh I agree with you cantona was very limited and no where near as good as Suarez so it's unfair to compare them. I don't really know what your on about when showing up fans.

He'll probably get a long ban, as he should, like, what the hell was going through his head to even entertain the notion of biting a player.

His talent will live on though, he nearly scored an unbelievable goal not long after, went past 5/6 players with no other option, lame shot in the end, but he just has that element of genius about him, like Cantona had.

United fans don't think of the Kung Fu kick when they think of Cantona as one of the best players to ever play for the club, they remember the goals, and rightly so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

We'll have to disagree. Biting and spitting are two things I hate to see on a football pitch and the bans for either should be lengthy.

It's understandable that your judgement is a bit clouded by how good/important a player Suarez is though.

Never mind the passing of diseases and infections some folks in here think there is nothing wrong , the mind boggles !

I'm with you here , I even hate to see people spitting on the street never mind the pitch

Apparently Borussia Monchoncentreback are keen to offer Suarez a new home :pac:

Never mind the passing of diseases and infections some folks in here think there is nothing wrong , the mind boggles !

I'm with you here , I even hate to see people spitting on the street never mind the pitch

I don't think there is anyone saying there is nothing wrong with it, just there are more important things going on in the world to be front pages of the newspapers, and wanting him locked up is just a small bit pathetic.

Punched a team mate, lol. Dig up dude.

I couldn't care what Suarez did btw but laughing at the pool fans like yourself who always have to compare your players to ours. So so sad.

Jaysus lad, I answered your question. Sorry if the answers don't meet your liking, and you go on the attack.

Cantona was a nutter, great player though.

• Advertisement

Who do you care what other fans think?

I haven't read Lloyd's opinion on the matter but I could guess it would be something like

"who cares, 30 goals, worth it etc".

There there is people like K-9 and other lads who decide to bring Cantona or some other incident, it's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Where was all this outrage when Liverpool signed Suarez? He had already bitten a man on the collarbone, in full view of a referee once before. I think the reason there wasn't any, was because people recognised this for what it was. Even Otman Bakkal, the player who he bit, laughed it off at the end of the game.

It's hideously unprofessional. It's rather disgusting. It's hilariously childish. And he should be punished. But for me, that's all it is. Biting a grown man's collarbone/elbow in the middle of a match (in full view of the referee for Bakkal) speaks of nothing but an utterly idiotic, simian decision brought on by a lousy temperament.

There's been far, far worse. An example we're all familiar with: Roy Keane's tackle on Alf-Inge Haland. One of the most horrific tackles ever made, it was deliberate, admittedly pre-meditated and done with absolutely no remorse. He got a five match ban and a fine- when what he really should've had was a ban for life and his medals stripped from him. And I'm a United fan.

What Suarez did today makes him a laughing stock. Makes him a good candidate for the next Bond film if they decide to bring Jaws back. In my opinion though, it doesn't make him a thug or a monster - or at least not of the calibre required to justify the level of ignominy people want to steep him in today.

You'll be able to quote those folks? You might get a couple, but you're here long enough to know trolls and WUM's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Are you high Xavi? 6 months for what happened today, pass that pipe :p

Opr

• Advertisement

Oh I agree with you cantona was very limited and no where near as good as Suarez so it's unfair to compare them. I don't really know what your on about when showing up fans.

You were doing okay until this Niallo.

I don't think there is anyone saying there is nothing wrong with it, just there are more important things going on in the world to be front pages of the newspapers, and wanting him locked up is just a small bit pathetic.

Tell me then if your down the pub next week and decide to bite someone your having a coming together with , what will happen to you ???

Hardly pathetic , he should be afforded the same treatment as a normal punter would be !

opr wrote: »

Opr

Again, six months is about 16 games. If he gets three months he misses a whopping four games so I'm factoring in preseason, thought that'd be obvious...

If I said 16 games would that be reasonable? How many games do you think he should get.

Tell me then if your down the pub next week and decide to bite someone your having a coming together with , what will happen to you ???

Hardly pathetic , he should be afforded the same treatment as a normal punter would be !

If I attempted to bite someone and i was pushed off, no I doubt very much if be locked up for it.

Opr

What do you think is reasonable for a biting incident in football?

Who do you care what other fans think?

I haven't read Lloyd's opinion on the matter but I could guess it would be something like

"who cares, 30 goals, worth it etc".

There there is people like K-9 and other lads who decide to bring Cantona or some other incident, it's embarrassing.

Do you not think it's a fair comparsion to make when utd fans come on and say liverpool should get rid of him and he dragging the clubs name through the mud.

If I attempted to bite someone and i was pushed off, no I doubt very much if be locked up for it.

Sure give a try and we will chat again in six months !

That's me done anyway , goodnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Again, six months is about 16 games. If he gets three months he misses a whopping four games so I'm factoring in preseason, thought that'd be obvious...

If I said 16 games would that be reasonable? How many games do you think he should get.

Whatever violent conduct is commensurable with in the situation. How many games did Van Persie get for that elbow on Cabaye earlier in the season which was retrospectively reviewed? I'd say similar punishment is warranted.

Opr

When I made my point I suspected posters like Rasta would reply, so I'll leave it there, your opinion is so easily predictable, nobody will learn anything from you, I already knew the non thinking script in your posts, loved the National Front reference.

People will always bring comparisons into it, soccer would be very quiet if people didn't bring up comparisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Whatever violent conduct is commensurable with in the situation. How many games did Van Persie get for that elbow on Cabaye earlier in the season which was retrospectively reviewed? I'd say similar punishment is warranted.

Opr

Thats a pretty stupid post

• Advertisement
Advertisement