Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Chelsea 4:00pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Anyone wrote: »
    Well he wont win the League's top scorer now. And I recon it could have harmed him getting Player of the Year as well.

Wasnt that voted on about 6 weeks ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Well he wont win the League's top scorer now. And I recon it could have harmed him getting Player of the Year as well.

He was never going to win that to be fair. Only 1 shoe-in for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Wasnt that voted on about 6 weeks ago?

I was talking about FIFA World Player of the Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it doesn't affect the Players' Player of the Year. that's Bale's.

it'll affect the Football Writers' one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

I don't think it can harm his chances as the voting is closed. Unless the PFA decide to overrule you can't not give it to him if he got the votes.

In Aussie Rules, the Player of The Year (Bronlow Medal) is forfeited if you have recieved a suspension or disciplinary. Votes are based on the best player in each round. Player who recieves the most wins. Pretty straight forward and fair system.

Thinking outside the box, but I think banning him to punish him dosen't really solve anything. You have to question his mental health if this is what he has done on a couple of occassions. Heard Liverpool have got him talking to a Counciler which is the only pro active and correct action to be taken here IMO.

:confused:
    Really? I mean REALLY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Blatter wrote: »
    I read back over the match thread there and a couple of Liverpool fans said they missed Suarez' equaliser because they turned the game off when Johnson kicked the ball out of play at the end. I probably would have done the same in their shoes, the feeling I got at the time was that there normally wouldn't be anything added on. Rafa went on about it in his post match interview as well, he couldn't understand it.

There was a bit of time wasting, think Lampard might have come on just after the time was announced too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

GavRedKing wrote: »
    :confused:
    Really? I mean REALLY?

No, I was making a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

SlickRic wrote: »
    yup, i got up to go to the jacks all píssed off when it went out for a Chelsea throw.

the wife pipes up about 30 seconds later shouting "Suarez scored!"

we were quite fortunate, though Chelsea's final sub took place on 90 minutes, so Friend could have been taking that into account, adding an extra circa 30 seconds.
    Well if only 5 subs were accounted for for the original added time, that makes the 6 mins even more puzzling!

No, I was making a joke.

Brilliant.

/Slowly claps hands

You have to question his mental health if this is what he has done on a couple of occassions. Heard Liverpool have got him talking to a Counciler which is the only pro active and correct action to be taken here IMO.

it's all to do with control.

he plays on the edge.

when you play on the edge, you sometimes fall over. it's as simple as that.

i truly believe that when he's on the pitch, he completely forgets that he's a Premier League footballer. he forgets that he's playing for Liverpool. he forgets that cameras, as well as a worldwide audience are watching him.

the part of his brain that discerns what's allowed and what isn't, all of a sudden it doesn't exist once he's on the field. it's the way he plays; it's the way he's always played.

i honestly don't think you can counsel if out of him without severely limiting him too. also, it's futile anyway, because I reckon if you counsel him, he'll admit that what he's done is wrong. he knows full well, he's just in a totally different mindset when he's on a football field.

as i say, if you play that much on the edge, then you're going to fall over every so often.

i do think he's the kind of player where you have to be willing to handle these sorts of incidents, because they will happen. i mean FFS, his wife has been moaning at him for how long to calm down, and she can't do it. what good is a counsellor going to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

K-9 wrote: »
    There was a bit of time wasting, think Lampard might have come on just after the time was announced too.

Also the messing around at the pen also added on some time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Also the messing around at the pen also added on some time

It did, also Carra moaned to the ref the whole game!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

he plays on the edge.

What does this mean? It comes down to basic human behaviour. How can you make a correlation between an intensely driven athlete and biting people? I'd get it if it was a lash out or reaction tackle or kick etc.

Saying there is no point in having counseling for him cause his wife has made no headway is a little silly tbf. Is his wife a psychatrist, or qualified to deal with those sort of problem? To say nagging dosen't work then why is their a medical profession established to deal with people with issues?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Shelveys tackle on whoever it was, Oscar maybe, ate up sometime as well.

Shelveys tackle on whoever it was, Oscar maybe, ate up sometime as well.

It bit into it alright

What does this mean? It comes down to basic human behaviour. How can you make a correlation between an intensely driven athlete and biting people? I'd get it if it was a lash out or reaction tackle or kick etc.

the bite was his lash out.

i don't condone it in any way, and as I've said many times, it's the reaction of a toddler, but that was the way he lashed out.
    Saying there is no point in having counseling for him cause his wife has made no headway is a little silly tbf. Is his wife a psychatrist, or qualified to deal with those sort of problem? To say nagging dosen't work then why is their a medical profession established to deal with people with issues?

fair enough if you think he needs professional help.

as i say, i'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing on the pitch is wrong. on the pitch though, he's very reactionary. and in the heat of the moment, he reacts to stuff like a child would.

the bite was his lash out.

i don't condone it in any way, and as I've said many times, it's the reaction of a toddler, but that was the way he lashed out.

fair enough if you think he needs professional help.

as i say, i'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing on the pitch is wrong. on the pitch though, he's very reactionary. and in the heat of the moment, he reacts to stuff like a child would.

That's not for me to decide. I'm just saying there is obviously something wrong with his behaviour. As is the same with Balotelli. You can use 'the edge' explanation for both, but that's not helping either. What I was saying was I think Liverpool have taken the correct action by addressing the problem like adults and a club that looks after their players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I don't think it can harm his chances as the voting is closed. Unless the PFA decide to overrule you can't not give it to him if he got the votes.

In Aussie Rules, the Player of The Year (Bronlow Medal) is forfeited if you have recieved a suspension or disciplinary. Votes are based on the best player in each round. Player who recieves the most wins. Pretty straight forward and fair system.

Thinking outside the box, but I think banning him to punish him dosen't really solve anything. You have to question his mental health if this is what he has done on a couple of occassions. Heard Liverpool have got him talking to a Counciler which is the only pro active and correct action to be taken here IMO.
    Didn't Ched Evans make the PFA League One team of the year last season after being convicted of rape?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78239590

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Blatter wrote: »
    Well if only 5 subs were accounted for for the original added time, that makes the 6 mins even more puzzling!

There was a few other stoppages, far more than the subs only, plus you add 30 seconds for each goal as well officially. There was one free kick that took Chelsea over a minute to take as well. I was thinking that there should be at least 5 mins to add on.

5starpool wrote: »
    There was a few other stoppages, far more than the subs only, plus you add 30 seconds for each goal as well officially. There was one free kick that took Chelsea over a minute to take as well. I was thinking that there should be at least 5 mins to add on.

Chelsea also took longer than usual to return to their half after Hazard's penalty I thought at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

amiable wrote: »
    Chelsea also took longer than usual to return to their half after Hazard's penalty I thought at the time

The pen must have taken at least 4 mins to take. I thought 6 mins was fair.

Didn't Ched Evans make the PFA League One team of the year last season after being convicted of rape?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78239590

That's what I was saying. The voting and essential the winner is already picked. You would have to overrule the decision if Suarez had won it, which nobody is going to do for this incident tbf.

That's what I was saying. The voting and essential the winner is already picked. You would have to overrule the decision if Suarez had won it, which nobody is going to do for this incident tbf.

I was just backing up what you were saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It bit into it alright

Lol, didn't even realise I did that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

5starpool wrote: »

I agree that they arsed around a bit, but I didn't think they did it much more than other teams generally do in their position, in other football matches. I think it's extremely rare to see 6 mins added on without a 'major' stoppage in a match. Whether the ref was technically right or not, my feeling watching the match was that the time added on was outside the 'norm' of what would usually have been added on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

he plays on the edge.

i truly believe that when he's on the pitch, he completely forgets that he's a Premier League footballer. he forgets that he's playing for Liverpool. he forgets that cameras, as well as a worldwide audience are watching him.

the part of his brain that discerns what's allowed and what isn't, all of a sudden it doesn't exist once he's on the field. it's the way he plays; it's the way he's always played.

i honestly don't think you can counsel if out of him without severely limiting him too. also, it's futile anyway, because I reckon if you counsel him, he'll admit that what he's done is wrong. he knows full well, he's just in a totally different mindset when he's on a football field.

as i say, if you play that much on the edge, then you're going to fall over every so often.

i do think he's the kind of player where you have to be willing to handle these sorts of incidents, because they will happen. i mean FFS, his wife has been moaning at him for how long to calm down, and she can't do it. what good is a counsellor going to do?
    Oh good God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

CSF wrote: »
    Oh good God.

lol spot on... and this is from relatively "good" posters

The man is worse than anyone thats graced the PL. Keane, Cantona, Shearer, Michael Brown, Joey Barton, heck even Julian Dicks imo.

Trilla wrote: »
    lol spot on... and this is from relatively "good" posters

The man is worse than anyone thats graced the PL. Keane, Cantona, Shearer, Michael Brown, Joey Barton, heck even Julian Dicks imo.
    I just don't get how people can't accept that the chap just clearly isn't a very nice person. Fantastic footballer, and it is perfectly grand to appreciate him on that alone. But the excuse after excuse for him from some Liverpool fans is just beyond ridiculous.

• Advertisement

I just don't get how people can't accept that the chap just clearly isn't a very nice person.

The man has never done a single thing off the pitch to warrant a below the belt comment like that.

People need to get their knickers out of the big twist they are in over a minor heat of the moment incident that harmed absolutely nobody and never had the potential to.

I'd much rather he took a bite out of a player than rode his sister in law or rode a team mates woman or many of the other things players do regularly.

I just don't get how people can't accept that the chap just clearly isn't a very nice person. Fantastic footballer, and it is perfectly grand to appreciate him on that alone. But the excuse after excuse for him from some Liverpool fans is just beyond ridiculous.

I think when he goes on the pitch he's just nuts.
    Lots of people who know him say he's not like that off the pitch.
    There's no excuse for what he did yesterday. I only wish there was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

And the blown out of proportion coverage by the English media is a joke.

And the blown out of proportion coverage by the English media is a joke.

It's a bit of both IMHO. Yes I do believe it's being blown out of proportion to an extent but on the same weekend where he gives an interview to The Times about not doing silly things on the pitch anymore he goes and does that.
    We already know that Sky and a few other media outlets love to hate him at this stage over his past misdemeanors so they were always going to have a field day with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

It's a bit of both IMHO. Yes I do believe it's being blown out of proportion to an extent but on the same weekend where he gives an interview to The Times about not doing silly things on the pitch anymore he goes and does that.
    We already know that Sky and a few other media outlets love to hate him at this stage over his past misdemeanors so they were always going to have a field day with this.
    Conspiracy Theory

As usual

Felexicon wrote: »
    Conspiracy Theory

As usual

Conspiracy theory from that? Perhaps English isn't your first language?
    Nothing to add to the thread. As usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I was in having a few brews yesterday and got chatting to another Irish lad (he claimed to be a Pool supporter).
    I asked him what his take on Suarez was, he just looked and me and said "No man is bigger than the club he plays for, get rid of him".
    I replied saying he's got 30 odd goals this season.
    The topic moved swiftly along!

The man has never done a single thing off the pitch to warrant a below the belt comment like that.

People need to get their knickers out of the big twist they are in over a minor heat of the moment incident that harmed absolutely nobody and never had the potential to.

I'd much rather he took a bite out of a player than rode his sister in law or rode a team mates woman or many of the other things players do regularly.

Below the belt? Are you for real? We've no idea what he's done off the pitch because that's not what we are exposed to. Our only real insight into him as a person is him on the pitch, and so far we have him down for racial abuse, 2 bites on a fellow professional, striking another professional and numerous instances of cheating.

Talking about what he is like off the pitch is stupid because neither of us know. But there's been more than enough on the pitch to make a judgement call from. Can't see how it matters if he racially abuses someone on a night out or on a football pitch, or if he bites someone on a football pitch or the street. It's the act that matters, not where the act occurs.

Below the belt? Are you for real? We've no idea what he's done off the pitch because that's not what we are exposed to. Our only real insight into him as a person is him on the pitch, and so far we have him down for racial abuse, 2 bites on a fellow professional, striking another professional and numerous instances of cheating.

Talking about what he is like off the pitch is stupid because neither of us know. But there's been more than enough on the pitch to make a judgement call from. Can't see how it matters if he racially abuses someone on a night out or on a football pitch, or if he bites someone on a football pitch or the street. It's the act that matters, not where the act occurs.

Why would we not know, if he did anything bad off the pitch it would be all over the papers like all the other high profile footballers.

• Advertisement

Nobody at Liverpool, or connected to him is gonna publicly call the chap a prick though, are they?

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why would we not know, if he did anything bad off the pitch it would be all over the papers like all the other high profile footballers.

Because we've never met him... And how much of what goes on in footballers private lives, do you think the media actually get hold of, or are able to print?

In fairness, you are preaching to everyone as if you personally know him ffs.

I remember Defoe bit Mascherano in a Spurs - West Ham game a fair while ago. The incident happened directly in front of the referee yet he only got a yellow for it. Afterwards, pretty much every commentator swept it under the carpet by saying stuff like "ah it was only a nibble".
    Watch the exact same "pundits" trip over themselves to say how disgraceful this incident is (which it is, to be fair).

Just seen this, great post.

In fairness, you are preaching to everyone as if you personally know him ffs.

No I'm talking as if he has racially abused someone, and bit 2 others. Whether it was a footballer or a binman, any reasonable person would be willing to condemn that person.

No I'm talking as if he has racially abused someone, and bit 2 others. Whether it was a footballer or a binman, any reasonable person would be willing to condemn that person.

We did condemn him but we have forgiven him again, we all make mistakes sure. Have you never ****ed up in your life.

• Advertisement

Who isn't condeming him?

To quote you again
    I just don't get how people can't accept that the chap just clearly isn't a very nice person

Maybe he isn't, maybe he's a lovely fella off the pitch. Who knows. Unless you actually know him outside the game, which is highly unlikely.

Tbh, it probably doesn't matter a fcuk what players are like outside of the game does it?

Ask any Utd or Chelsea fan what they think of Giggs or Terry? Two guys that are as low as you can get but it doesn't matter too much as they do the business on the pitch.

Suarez let himself down on the pitch yesterday and that's all that matters to Liverpool fans. Whether he is/isn't a nice person has nothing got to do with anything.

niallo27 wrote: »
    We did condemn him but we have forgiven him again, we all make mistakes sure. Have you never ****ed up in your life.

I have. Anyone can be excused an indiscretion if they show remorse. But not repeatedly. Suarez continues to display that sort of behaviour, because that's probably just who he is.

He came to England with a dodgy reputation, but I think most (maybe with the exception of the most biased United fans) were willing to see for themselves. Incident after incident later, it's not reasonable to make excuses for him as a person. I mean as a footballer I will continue to enjoy watching him, and Liverpool would be insane to get rid of him, but there's no excusing the person that he is at this stage.

Who isn't condeming him?

To quote you again

Maybe he isn't, maybe he's a lovely fella off the pitch. Who knows. Unless you actually know him outside the game, which is highly unlikely.

Tbh, it probably doesn't matter a fcuk what players are like outside of the game does it?

Ask any Utd or Chelsea fan what they think of Giggs or Terry? Two guys that are are low as you can get but it doesn't matter too much as they do the business on the pitch.

Suarez let himself down on the pitch yesterday and that's all that matters to Liverpool fans. Whether he is/isn't a nice person has nothing got to do with anything.

I don't think anyone reasonable really thinks Giggs or Terry are nice people. As above, I'm not expecting Liverpool fans to stop supporting him. He scores goals that win Liverpool matches. But the excuse making is ridiculous.

I don't think anyone reasonable really thinks Giggs or Terry are nice people. As above, I'm not expecting Liverpool fans to stop supporting him. He scores goals that win Liverpool matches. But the excuse making is ridiculous.

Who's makng excuses for what he did yesterday?

Maybe you should start naming these people and stop making sweeping statements about some Liverpool fans eh?

I have. Anyone can be excused an indiscretion if they show remorse. But not repeatedly. Suarez continues to display that sort of behaviour, because that's probably just who he is.

He came to England with a dodgy reputation, but I think most (maybe with the exception of the most biased United fans) were willing to see for themselves. Incident after incident later, it's not reasonable to make excuses for him as a person. I mean as a footballer I will continue to enjoy watching him, and Liverpool would be insane to get rid of him, but there's no excusing the person that he is at this stage.

Well i got in trouble for fighting when i was younger on a few occasions when i had a few beers. I grew out of it. Your making the man out to be some kind of monster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement