Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butternut Squash Soup

Options
  • 21-04-2013 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

So I just made a delicious batch of Butternut Squash Soup and I would rate it a solid 7/10. BUT, even though it was hearty and is supposed to be hearty and comforting, I couldn't help but feel it was missing something. I just cant put my finger on it, it's like it needed a sharp finish or a zing or something to take it up to a 9/10!

Has anyone any ideas or tried and tested methods?

It was roasted butternut squash, onion and sweetcorn soup with chilli for spice and herbs for depth. Very rich and creamy.

What am I missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i guess it was quite sweet. 1 tablespoon of lemon juice per 300ml of soup should add that zing you were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

It somehow wasn't even that sweet! I was considering lemon juice but it instinctively doesn't feel right? I was thinking lime zest?

You may well be right though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

would you think about some different spices maybe to round it off? some cumin might be nice,maybe just a touch of curry powder or even some ginger or nutmeg?

or you could add something with a bit of twang other than just zest? maybe try a couple of nice twangy green apples in to cook out with the squash?

if you have some portions of your soup done up already, just try designating one of the portions as the experimental bit and portion it up into some cups and experiment with adding various different things until you find the flavour you're looking for, that way you're not going to ruin a whole batch experimenting and trying to find the flavour you're after. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I agree with the above post. Some toasted cumin seeds would round your soup off nicely.
    Alternately fry some chorizo and add a little of the oil to the soup just before serving to add real depth and smokiness.

oh yes, that would be lovely. i used to do the chorizo thing, but then use the choizo oil and some herbs to fry off some croutons. hmmmm. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys!

I will definitely give those a go, I still have plenty of this batch left so I will experiment.

Ginger might do the trick. The soup already has a very deep flavour, it just lacked that extra kick! (apart from my chilli kick :D)

The chorizo sounds like a nice idea, I think that tops the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I usually make mine by dusting the squash with ground cumin & coriander before roasting. Some hot smoked paprika would add a bit more depth than chilli too.

Its not so much the depth I'm struggling with but moreso the finish. It just needed something fresh to bring it to life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

a very small drizzle of pumpkin seed oil before serving. That's the zing that will bring you from a 7/10 to 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I bake slices of Proscuitto in the oven until crispy. Then cool, break up into little pieces and sprinkle over butternut squash soup. Yum!

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    a very small drizzle of pumpkin seed oil before serving. That's the zing that will bring you from a 7/10 to 10/10.

Thanks, that's interesting, I think I'll give this a try too!

Toulouse wrote: »
    I bake slices of Proscuitto in the oven until crispy. Then cool, break up into little pieces and sprinkle over butternut squash soup. Yum!
    i've dry fried them before and you get the same effect. pretty much any thinly sliced cured meat will do. i've done it with salami and all the similar kinds of meats you get in aldi & lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

I used Butternut Squash in soup a couple times and found it gave the soup an aftertaste that I wasn't all that fond of flavour-wise. The OP's recipe does sound nice though.

Passenger wrote: »
    I used Butternut Squash in soup a couple times and found it gave the soup an aftertaste that I wasn't all that fond of flavour-wise. The OP's recipe does sound nice though.

It truly was. Here is what I did:

Cut the butternut into 1 inch cubes. Season with S&P and roast them and half an onion also cut into 1 inch cubes for 50 mins until tender.

At about the 40 minute mark, boil 850ml of water and add in 3 oxo cubes of veg stock. Simultaneously, toast half a can of sweetcorn in a small pan.

Throw the squash, onion and sweetcorn into the boiling water and cover the pot with clingfilm while putting in a handheld blender in the side and blending it all up. Otherwise the mess would be spectacular!

once it is the right consistency, remove the cling film and simmer for a while and add in the chilli powder and whatever other seasoning you desire.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

A couple of cloves of garlic roasted in their skins would round off the flavour nicely, definitely brings out the sweetness of the squash or pumpkin. I'd avoid adding garlic if freezing though as it can taste musty once defrosted.

after all that, when i got home from work today i came over all inspired and used up a head of cauliflower and broccoli to make a nice soup and sprinkled some dry fried parma ham and parmesan over it. :)

250537.jpg

om nom nom! :D

Advertisement