Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here travelled to Australia WITHOUT a degree?

Options
  • 21-04-2013 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I am thinkin of heading down under for a while travelling but I'm very anxious about the fact I have no degree. The majority of posters here seem to have just qualified or will be qualifying and I'm worried I won't be able to get a job to keep myself going. The only experience I have is in office work and I have heard there is a lot of competition for these jobs and employers don't like WHV candidattes. Anyone any advice or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

My 4 sisters are in Australia. Only 1 has a degree and the other 3 don't.

The 3 sisters are all working in restaurants, bar and a shopping centre.

A load of their friends are there as well and not many have degrees but are all working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

If you're going to go to OZ do something different than a run of the mill job.

To many people going over and spending 12 month working in Sydney in some random office.

It's a great country with loads of opportunity for everyone degree or no degree. You'll have a great time book the tickets the worst that'll happen is you'll have an extended holiday if you can't find work.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

My brother has settled there with no degree but he is a qualified joiner - a job he since ditched due to over work (seems they can't get enough good joiners in Oz so they want you to work 24/7 if they could get away with it)- he's now a manager for a large sports clothing company a job he would never have contemplated over here! As long as your prepared to work Australia will give you a chance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Worst case scenario I know you can get a door to door job in Melbourne pretty much overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 6 trippyfella

Correct me if I'm wrong but I get the idea that it's easier for guys to get the labour jobs and so they always have another job lined up. But girls go for hospo and that can be pretty unpredictable, they prob pick easier options than someone coming from afar. It's possible to find of course and those sales jobs, but I find the toughie jobs are easier to come by and better paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 swazzie

If you have good office expierence you'll get work. Especially in Syd and Mel where they are quicker to take whv if they need people . Just make sure your resume looks good, highlights the expierence you have and make sure you have references.
    I have done some hiring in brisbane and for some office jobs we don't look for a degree- depends on the position. eg ap/ar /payroll/process /admin roles most place want expierence over a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Thanks for replies everyone ! :) I'm strongly contemplating going for a whole before I head back to college !

Advertisement