Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dundalk for a stag do

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I would avoid The Spirit Store if on a stag or large group because it's so out of the way and quite pokey. If you're getting in from the Dog Track head on into town and check out Courtneys or Brubakers - have plenty of live bands. If you're lucky Smash Hits will be playing in Brubakers (they're due this Friday) as they really pull a crowd in.

Other places with bands are Corbetts and McManus' down in seatown but again, a bit off the main drag.

The Beer Keeper (Bartender for young uns, Seanchaí for oul wans) is my favourite pub due to the lack of loud music and TVs as it encourages conversation but I'm all loved up and it is a terrible spot to meet people. Brubakers and Courtneys are large, open spots with plenty of standing room where people and larger groups can mingle.

I'd avoid Parkes personally as it's the anti-beerkeeper: TVs, booming music, flashy lights, teeny boppers.

The Garden (aka Eden) is dead on and tends to have a good mix between music/conversation. Bar is very busy and slow though.

For a late night Ridleys is the only option but their door policy is strict if you're not a regular. Can be very picky too - letting 2 out of a group of 3 lads in etc. I've seen them accuse stone-cold sober lads (designated drivers) of being too drunk and arguing with them is pointless.

Thanks to their door-policy though it's a reasonably decent crowd - very few scumbags. But it gets rammed tight - especially on a bank holiday sunday. Queues at the bar get ridiculous and it's scrum-tactics to move around it. Be drunk before you enter.

The Market Bar around on the main square is new and trendy, been there once but didn't stay long. Nicely done place though.

Stay out of the pubs along Clanbrassil Street. Oul lads, Dundalk Heads and wannabe terrorists only.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I would avoid The Spirit Store if on a stag or large group because it's so out of the way and quite pokey.

To be fair, that's a bit of a push now since their renovations.

Down the back bar is very spacious in comparison to what it was.

Fair enough but compared to the central pubs in terms of how it would deal with a large crowd of horny lads I think it's just not a place to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

MugMugs wrote: »
    Yeah, downstairs is a non pay job and most / some of the time you can just rock on up to the band upstairs and pay there and then.

Downstairs generally has a bit of music on but not sure if it would be live or not.

I am a blow in to Dundalk. Brought a few friends into the place to see The Stone Roses Experience years back. Mate walked down the stairs at the time and in one small room there was a DJ banging out The Clash and in the other opposite one there was another DJ banging out The Kinks and both small rooms packed.

That pretty much defined the place as one of his favourites and I haven't been able to get rid of him since with his odd tip up to it.
    Sounds good to me, i think we will aim to go there and go from there and keep the other suggestions in mind if it doesnt work out. Thanks again for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Spiritstore is a good bar, but hardly suitable for a stag group,your going to have to get a taxi into town from it as its quite a walk from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

I would avoid The Spirit Store if on a stag or large group because it's so out of the way and quite pokey. If you're getting in from the Dog Track head on into town and check out Courtneys or Brubakers - have plenty of live bands. If you're lucky Smash Hits will be playing in Brubakers (they're due this Friday) as they really pull a crowd in.

Other places with bands are Corbetts and McManus' down in seatown but again, a bit off the main drag.

The Beer Keeper (Bartender for young uns, Seanchaí for oul wans) is my favourite pub due to the lack of loud music and TVs as it encourages conversation but I'm all loved up and it is a terrible spot to meet people. Brubakers and Courtneys are large, open spots with plenty of standing room where people and larger groups can mingle.

I'd avoid Parkes personally as it's the anti-beerkeeper: TVs, booming music, flashy lights, teeny boppers.

The Garden (aka Eden) is dead on and tends to have a good mix between music/conversation. Bar is very busy and slow though.

For a late night Ridleys is the only option but their door policy is strict if you're not a regular. Can be very picky too - letting 2 out of a group of 3 lads in etc. I've seen them accuse stone-cold sober lads (designated drivers) of being too drunk and arguing with them is pointless.

Thanks to their door-policy though it's a reasonably decent crowd - very few scumbags. But it gets rammed tight - especially on a bank holiday sunday. Queues at the bar get ridiculous and it's scrum-tactics to move around it. Be drunk before you enter.

The Market Bar around on the main square is new and trendy, been there once but didn't stay long. Nicely done place though.

Stay out of the pubs along Clanbrassil Street. Oul lads, Dundalk Heads and wannabe terrorists only.

For some reason i didnt see your post yesterday until now, but thanks for the heads up, i think Brubakers is a winner so

If you have your heart set on a live band double-check there's one playing in Brubakers before you go. Think they have a Facebook page or some shít.

Think they have a Facebook page or some shít.

Not a bookface fan SE?

Link here. https://www.facebook.com/brubakers.dundalk?fref=ts

No no I'm partial to a bit of Facetube it has to be said. Just not 'friends' with a building/pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

If you have your heart set on a live band double-check there's one playing in Brubakers before you go. Think they have a Facebook page or some shít.

Pretty sure Bru's never has a band on a saturday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

How about a "Danger" Stag OP ?

Do 4/5 pubs in Bridge street and finish up in one in Church st.If you safely complete your mission PM here and i'll arrange for solid gold medals to be sent to you & all members of your stag party !

;)

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

How about a "Danger" Stag OP ?

Do 4/5 pubs in Bridge street and finish up in one in Church st.If you safely complete your mission PM here and i'll arrange for solid gold medals to be sent to you & all members of your stag party !

;)

:pac::pac:

Classic, the ring of death!!!! ..... hit Northend bar first then across to PA's bar, grab a couple of frames of snooker in the bridge club with a few tins of harp from McAllisters offy, then onto McAllisters pub next door, then onto bennetts across the road, then to Harry's, then turn left and left again then past the pet shop to up to The Stags head into the Camelot, into Sean's Tavern, across to Brady's, straight up to The Emerald and across the road to Murphy's bar.....

2 pints of Harp in each and if are all still standing with no blood, fair play indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

For bonus points, wear a Rangers top

Amateurs. Everybody knows Pas closes when the bookies do.

Advertisement