Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Raspberry Pi Hostin¦Colocation

Options
  • 21-04-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this and signed up.

Worth a shot to find out if it's any use. I think it's only free for 12 months.

http://raspberrycolocation.com/home/
    Free Raspberry Pi Hosting

For the surprisingly low price of € 0,- you will get a super fast network connection and 500 GB worth of traffic. Seats are limited so try not to wait too long! (Although that probably wouldn't be too hard)
    Get started

Terms and Conditions in English - HERE
    Thanks for your order at PCextreme BV
    There is just sent you an email confirmation of your order to your specified email address.
    We try to process your order. As soon as possible.
    Are you a new customer?
    New customers must first confirm by clicking on the activation link in the confirmation email. Their email address to us electronically
    Since it is very important that your email address is correct, your order will only be processed when we rest assured that your specified e-mail address is correct.
    If you have not confirmed the order, your order will not be processed further.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Interesting idea.

As you mentioned, it's free for the first year, but will be automatically renewed next year unless you contact them one month in advance.
    So I assume you must register with your credit card.

I imagine you would be locked to use the disto you have on your SD card when you post it over. Unless there's a facility to post a new SD card during the year to be reinserted into the Pi.

I wonder what happens if the rPi fails?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Interesting idea.

As you mentioned, it's free for the first year, but will be automatically renewed next year unless you contact them one month in advance.
    So I assume you must register with your credit card.

I imagine you would be locked to use the disto you have on your SD card when you post it over. Unless there's a facility to post a new SD card during the year to be reinserted into the Pi.

I wonder what happens if the rPi fails?

I didn't enter any credit card details, and i used an email account that is unattached to paypal or any other payment options.

Worth a look at it anyway, i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I don't get it and I'm sure I'm not the only one. What exactly is this? Been considering getting a PI for a while so I don't have one at the moment so obviously not an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

jarvis wrote: »
    I don't get it and I'm sure I'm not the only one. What exactly is this? Been considering getting a PI for a while so I don't have one at the moment so obviously not an expert.

TBH, it's more for me to mess about with, thought other people might be interested in it.

I bought 2 pi's. One of the main reasons i bought a 3rd one, was for my sister, so that she could set up a cloud at home :).
    This puts the cloud back out again. The 1st gen Pi wouldn't be the best for this, as it would be verrrryy slow.

The idea behind this is to gather a community in the cloud, hosting OS's, helping people in development, and other things you may use the Pi for.

There is more info below and what you can use it for.

Use it for hosting etc...
    More info HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

jarvis wrote: »

Let's say you wanted a little Web Server or internet service running constantly on the internet.

You could set up your Raspberry Pi then connect it to your home router and open up some ports in your routers firewall to make it publicly accessible from the internet.

This crowd are basically saying, set up your Raspberry Pi, then post it to us.
    We'll plug it into our power supplies and network connections and let your Raspberry Pi use our network connections ( free broadband ).
    So it's free broadband and free electricity.

It would really suit someone who is already running a Raspberry Pi constantly in their home and wanted it available publicly and not eating up their internet bandwidth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement