Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i cloud/apple ID

• 21-04-2013 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

Me and my wife have the same I cloud and apple id. How do we seperate these so everything is not all synced together. Apple customer support is useless and had the neck to ask for 80 euro for support.
    If I delete mine and her i cloud account will everything be erased from the phone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

You can still have the same Apple ID but have separate iCloud accounts on your phones.

just go into settings and create a new iCloud account in one of your phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

mad muffin wrote: »
    You can still have the same Apple ID but have separate iCloud accounts on your phones.

just go into settings and create a new iCloud account in one of your phones.
    Thanks for the reply. Will that stop our contacts syncing together?
    And if so do I need to delete my old account first?

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Will that stop our contacts syncing together?
    And if so do I need to delete my old account first?

Yes syncs will be separated.

Who ever decides to create the new one needs to delete the old one off their phone.

So if hour wife was to create an iCloud account and she doesn't have her own Apple I'd she will need to create that first.

Then if you wanted to share apps she could have your Apple ID in the App Store.

Yes syncs will be separated.

Who ever decides to create the new one needs to delete the old one off their phone.

So if hour wife was to create an iCloud account and she doesn't have her own Apple I'd she will need to create that first.

Then if you wanted to share apps she could have your Apple ID in the App Store.
    No we want everything seperate if possible. Will either of us loose any info or contacts off the phones?
    How do u create a new apple ID?

No we want everything seperate if possible. Will either of us loose any info or contacts off the phones?
    How do u create a new apple ID?

You can create a new one on the phone.

Ok, so who ever decides to create the new ID.

settings

iCloud

Scroll to the bottom and delete account.

It will ask you if you want to keep contacts and such on the phone.

Now in iCloud at the top when you enter account it will ask if you want to create a new one.

As regards to the App Store. You can sign out and enter the new Apple ID.

What will happen though, from now on when ever there is an update for any of the apps already on your phone you'll have to enter the old ID and password.

• Advertisement

You can create a new one on the phone.

Ok, so who ever decides to create the new ID.

settings

iCloud

Scroll to the bottom and delete account.

It will ask you if you want to keep contacts and such on the phone.

Now in iCloud at the top when you enter account it will ask if you want to create a new one.

As regards to the App Store. You can sign out and enter the new Apple ID.

What will happen though, from now on when ever there is an update for any of the apps already on your phone you'll have to enter the old ID and password.

Ok ill try all that. Thanks very much for your help

No worries.

When I went to delete it said nothing about wanting to keep contacts. It just said:

When I went to delete it said nothing about wanting to keep contacts. It just said:

Is contacts set to on?

Is contacts set to on?

No I've everything turned off because they all merged before and had to manually delete all her numbers from my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I use 1 iCloud account for 2 ipod touches (one for me and one for the mrs), an ipad(mine), an iPhone (hers) which was robbed 2 weeks ago and the wifes replacement IPhone which was reset a number of times.

At no time were the contacts synced and each device has its own backups made to "the cloud" under each devices name.
    On the laptop each device has its own sync profile for photos etc.
    Contacts on each device are separate from one another and have always been that way.

I am struggling to see what problem the OP has.

The only advice I'd have is that you can really play about with the phone(s) (presuming thats what you have that you didnt think to mention) safely once you have backed up settings and whatnot either via iCloud or on your laptop.
    With a backup you can always revert back to that should everything go pear shaped.

No I've everything turned off because they all merged before and had to manually delete all her numbers from my phone.

Then that's why.

So you don't have to worry it won't delete anything off the phone as its already turned off.

Here's a short video showing the process.

I use 1 iCloud account for 2 ipod touches (one for me and one for the mrs), an ipad(mine), an iPhone (hers) which was robbed 2 weeks ago and the wifes replacement IPhone which was reset a number of times.

At no time were the contacts synced and each device has its own backups made to "the cloud" under each devices name.
    Contacts on each device are separate from one another and have always been that way.

The only advice I'd have is that you can really play about with the phone(s) (presuming thats what you have that you didnt think to mention) safely once you have backed up settings and whatnot either via iCloud or on your laptop.
    With a backup you can always revert back to that should everything go pear shaped.
    In contacts do you both have iCloud contacts ticked?

I don't know why they synced originally. We had the same ID and cloud account. When we both went to back up we realised all our numbers had mixed

In contacts do you both have iCloud contacts ticked?

You mean as in I cloud settings and contacts turned on?

You mean as in I cloud settings and contacts turned on?

In the contacts tab if you have your phone synced on the computer and iCloud, hotmail and such and they all have contacts you can decide which contacts you use.

I was just curious if maybe munchkin_utd didn't use iCloud contacts in the contacts app.

I can't see otherwise how he has the same iCloud account and has it synced on both iDevices but their contacts and calendars and anything else on didnt merge on both devices.

Right so I just set up a new apple ID for my phone. Deleted old I cloud and set up a new one for my phone. Just need wifi to back up. Fingers crossed.
    By the way, apple could do with support like this for people as the ones on the phone are brutal

Just checked and I've all my wife's contacts again even though contacts is turned off on her phone

Just checked and I've all my wife's contacts again even though contacts is turned off on her phone

Who had the original iCloud?

Who had the original iCloud?

Not sure to be honest. Think it was her. Would that make a difference now though seeing as I've a new ID and cloud account?

• Advertisement

Not sure to be honest. Think it was her. Would that make a difference now though seeing as I've a new ID and cloud account?

If you go to settings

iCloud

Account

Scroll to the bottom

Advanced

Mail

Who's email address is listed?

If you go to settings

iCloud

Account

Scroll to the bottom

Advanced

Mail

Who's email address is listed?

The address listed is different to mine, as in its the same except mine is @gmail and this is @icloud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

The address listed is different to mine, as in its the same except mine is @gmail and this is @icloud

You have to use an email address that was never used for the original account. Did you use the iCloud email that was created from the other account? If so it will link all the details

Backups don't always work as they should, before iCloud I lost contacts a few times after a restore and each time I made a backup before the restore

guil wrote: »
    You have to use an email address that was never used for the original account. Did you use the iCloud email that was created from the other account? If so it will link all the details
    The original ac and the one on my wifes account is hotmail. When I set up a new ID I uses gmail. The I cloud ac is empty. Can't even remember how I got it. It just popped up one day when I was playing around with the phone recently

Is the old email address linked to your wife's iCloud account still showing in mail, contacts, calendars, under settings?

Go here and sign in with the original apple id and make sure the gmail address isn't associated with the gmail address.
    https://appleid.apple.com/ie/

Is the old email address linked to your wife's iCloud account still showing in mail, contacts, calendars, under settings?

Yes the old hotmail address is linked to hers. I thought once I set up a new gmail address she could use the hotmail one. is that wrong?

Go here and sign in with the original apple id and make sure the gmail address isn't associated with the gmail address.

Gmail assosiated with the gmail? Sorry I'm not sure what that means

• Advertisement

Gmail assosiated with the gmail? Sorry I'm not sure what that means

Advertisement