Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on guns for a beginner

• 21-04-2013 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

so i played airsoft for the first time last sat and had an excellent time so now im goin to purchase a gun as im def going this weekend and loads more hopefully. couple of things id like advice on any help appreciated.

1. which is the best manufacturer?
    2. what is the best type of battery? does one last a full day?
    3. i know 1 joule is the max power but what do i need to look for to make sure the gun is close to 1joule?? ( sorry if my terminology is wrong)
    4. is there much resale value on guns i.e. if i buy a cheap enough gun starting out when i upgrade will it be worth much? or am i better off buying an expensive gun for the start?
    5. are the cheaper guns any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheHiveAirsoft

Dude, go play and rent a gun, see if you like it and if you do maybe buy a similar gun and start playing, all your really gonna get here is people's personal opinions. Worse still you mite get someone who thinks he knows what he's talking about giving you the worst possible advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭brianmax88

Ya i played last weekend. I used a rental it was ok gave a bit of trouble but it wasnt as powerful as some of the regulars guns. I know they'res were prob modified. I know everyone has different opinion but if a few people gave the same bit of advice it would prob be accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

First off, is there a particular gun you like, eg M4, AK, MP5, G36 etc, etc? Once you decide on the gun you like, then you can think about how much you want to spend, which will dictate which manufacturer you can afford, ie JG, Classic Army for entry level and up to G&G and onwards.

Don't go mad and spend a fortune at the start though as while airsoft is exciting, the Adverts section is full of people who have decided to get out of the sport and end up selling their guns for a lot less than they paid for them. Come to think of it, why don't you buy second hand? You'll save a wad of cash. I've five aegs, of which I bought 4 second hand on Adverts, all of which are in perfect working order, but at a fraction of their new price.

There are a couple of guns that caught my eye. I like the timber ak or maybe an armalite i don know what il buy whatever i get for the right price but a good gun. Id have no problem buying second hand but i dont know qnything about the workings of the guns and i wouldnt know what im buying.. im sure most guns are in good condition. I was looking at a gun on a website that fired at 315 fps. I dont know is that below 1 joule or does it depend on the weight of the bb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

1 joule = 328fps so 315fps is fine. In Ireland an airsoft gun must shoot at or below 328fps with a 0.20g bb so you cant have anything above .20g bbs firing at 328fps as that would be illegal.
    Most people on boards are honest and won't rip you off so as prosperous dave said ,buying a gun second hand here on boards is a very good idea.
    Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Find something comfortable. That's pretty much it. Everything after that is down to aesthetics, and tech stuff that you'll come to learn (and upgrade, probably) later. The amount of people I've seen buy rifles they can't shoulder properly, so subs they can't reload without difficulty, is ridiculous.

Go to a shop, try a few out. Go to a few more sites as a renter, and ask to see a few players guns in the safe zone. Sometimes the rifle you most like the look of, can be an absolute pig in your hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

First off, is there a particular gun you like, eg M4, AK, MP5, G36 etc, etc? Once you decide on the gun you like, then you can think about how much you want to spend, which will dictate which manufacturer you can afford, ie JG, Classic Army for entry level and up to G&G and onwards.

Don't go mad and spend a fortune at the start though as while airsoft is exciting, the Adverts section is full of people who have decided to get out of the sport and end up selling their guns for a lot less than they paid for them. Come to think of it, why don't you buy second hand? You'll save a wad of cash. I've five aegs, of which I bought 4 second hand on Adverts, all of which are in perfect working order, but at a fraction of their new price.

+1 and how I got started ;)

1 joule = 328fps so 315fps is fine. In Ireland an airsoft gun must shoot at or below 328fps with a 0.20g bb so you cant have anything above .20g bbs firing at 328fps as that would be illegal.
    Most people on boards are honest and won't rip you off so as prosperous dave said ,buying a gun second hand here on boards is a very good idea.
    Hope this helps.

Good advise and I'll add, to ask as many questions as possible, because what the person answers with and how quickly they get back to you, is a good way to judge if the item(s) are worth buying

A good seller will always be happy to answer questions and share what they know with you :)

NakedDex wrote: »
    Find something comfortable. That's pretty much it. Everything after that is down to aesthetics, and tech stuff that you'll come to learn (and upgrade, probably) later. The amount of people I've seen buy rifles they can't shoulder properly, so subs they can't reload without difficulty, is ridiculous.

Go to a shop, try a few out. Go to a few more sites as a renter, and ask to see a few players guns in the safe zone. Sometimes the rifle you most like the look of, can be an absolute pig in your hands.

Nail on the head here, as comfortable to use, fit for your purpose of use (indoor / outdoor) and I'll add reliability, are most important. Also, just about any sound person would be more than happy to share their kit in the safe zone and even, let you have a test shot or two and advise of what they know

Hope this helps :)

Ok thanks guys ye were all helpfull. Im going to search on boards hopefully find a gun i like. I think starting out it would be best to start small and go play a few more times and learn a bit more off other players. Thanks again.

Advertisement