Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we get out deposit back?

Options
  • 21-04-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Myself and the bf moved from Dublin to Carlow at the end of October 2012. We signed a 6 month lease (rent) on a bungalow, but at around Christmas time we had to move out quite quickly because there was a severe mold problem. The letting agent found us another home, she transferred the deposit to the new place and we moved in at the beginning of January. Thing is we had only planned on living in Carlow for one year and we just noticed that the second lease we signed is for a full year so isn't up until January 2014. I have to move back to Dublin before August for college and I'm raging now that we will lose out on the €600 deposit, without it I'll end up living in my dad's sharing a single bed with the bf MILES from college until we save up a new deposit, which could be months and months.

Is there ANY way we can move out between now and August and get the deposit back?
    For example if we were to arrange viewings ourselves and find someone to move in so that the landlord doesn't miss any rent, and if we were to have the house scrubbed and ready for them to move in without the landlord having to lift a finger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You can reassign the remainder of the lease (pretty much what you described). Its been discussed a few times on here the past couple of weeks so have a search of this forum for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

Thanks I did have a look but didn't really see anything that matched my situation. Also, am wondering if we do move out and we can't find someone to move in after us, are we liable to keep paying rent up until the end of the lease or until someone does move in? I'm pretty sure this house was empty a while before we moved in and I can see why, the walls/carpets/floors are in terrible condition and the landlord isn't bothered fixing it by the looks of it.

Advertisement