Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Fraud

Options
  • 21-04-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I received a phone call from Bank of Ireland today about my Credit Card. It was used on multiple transactions today even-though I never used the card myself today. Anyway, someone was using my card illegally online and its now cancelled.

What I want to know is how did someone get access to this information? I bought a product on Ebay over 2 weeks using paypal which I thought was safe but now Im worried about using my new card anywhere. My PC has all latest anti virus and anti malware up to date and I dont store any bank account info over my laptop, nothing important like that.

What happens to the people who were involved in this fraud? Nothing? Only for the bank ringing me, I would have been wiped out without even knowing it. The same wouldn't happen with Debit Card as i have online banking and check my account everyday and would be aware of any unusual transactions.

Advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

Hi Amprodude,

We wouldn't know where someone got access to your information here.  You will have to wait until fraud finish their investigation; they will be in contact with you as soon as they are finished.

Please see our security section here from the Bank of Ireland website that may be of some help to you.

You can also add your Credit Card to your online profile on Banking 365, so you can keep an eye on your transactions.  Please contact Banking 365 directly and a representative will be happy to assist you.  Please have your account details and Credit Card to hand before you contact them.

If you ever notice anything on your current account or Credit Card that you do not recognise, please contact us immediately and a representative will be happy to assist you.

Thanks for taking the time to post

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PaulDalyRoI

Amprodude wrote: »
     The same wouldn't happen with Debit Card as i have online banking and check my account everyday and would be aware of any unusual transactions.

Advice welcome.

Don't be rushing to use your debit card instead when shopping online! Remember, your debit card hits your current account, so it's your money the fraudsters are taking. A Credit Card transaction is your Banks /  Financial Institutions money until you pay your bill.

So, if your current account is emptied, you will be out of pocket until its all sorted out and you are refunded. If you get a Credit Card bill and only then notice the fraudulent transactions you can contest them before the money leaves your account, so you are not out of pocket. 

As a slight aside, it's good to see BoI's anti fraud systems are obviously working since these transactions got flagged, and you were notified and got the card cancelled, all on a Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Hi Amprodude,

We wouldn't know where someone got access to your information here.  You will have to wait until fraud finish their investigation; they will be in contact with you as soon as they are finished.

Please see our security section here from the Bank of Ireland website that may be of some help to you.

You can also add your Credit Card to your online profile on Banking 365, so you can keep an eye on your transactions.  Please contact Banking 365 directly and a representative will be happy to assist you.  Please have your account details and Credit Card to hand before you contact them.

If you ever notice anything on your current account or Credit Card that you do not recognise, please contact us immediately and a representative will be happy to assist you.

Sean

Just wondering will it be possible for the bank anti fraud team to detect these fraudsters? I was slightly shocked when I got the news and that some hacker had got access to one of cards information. I wiped all my computers today in the off chance that there might be undetected spyware on them.

Fair play to bank of Ireland for detecting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Did you by any chance get a (phishing) email recently looking as it it came from Paypal asking you to click a link to update your credit card details on your Paypal account?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Did you by any chance get a (phishing) email recently looking as it it came from Paypal asking you to click a link to update your credit card details on your Paypal account?

I got an email my self claiming to be from BOI over the weekend asking me to update my 365 info, http instead of https was one of the triggers to see it was phish.

• Advertisement

No, but on 26th March, I removed one card which was my expired credit card and added another card (my present one) on to PayPal account. I did it on my own accord. I got emails confirming this. I reckon this is where I could have been caught? , I bought a product on eBay that day too. Credit card wasn't used by me since then.

irish-stew wrote: »
    I got an email my self claiming to be from BOI over the weekend asking me to update my 365 info, http instead of https was one of the triggers to see it was phish.

If I ever get anything like that, I will deliberately put in false info just to hit these hackers back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

If I ever get anything like that, I will deliberately put in false info just to hit these hackers back.
    You should never visit any of these sites. Even entering false info could result in malware containing a keylogger being installed on your pc, effectively letting the hacker know what sites you visit & if sophisticated enough record any form data that you enter before it is passed over the internet bypassing https encryption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Just wondering will it be possible for the bank anti fraud team to detect these fraudsters? I was slightly shocked when I got the news and that some hacker had got access to one of cards information. I wiped all my computers today in the off chance that there might be undetected spyware on them.

Fair play to bank of Ireland for detecting this.
    Hi Amprodude, 

Thanks for posting. 

Our Fraud Department are very thorough and will run a full investigation.
    Should they require further information, they will be in touch with you.

Thanks

Billy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

irish-stew wrote: »
    Hi Irish-Stew, 

Thanks for posting.

If you still have that email, would you mind sending it to 365security@boi.com

Thanks a million. 

Billy

• Advertisement

Hi Amprodude,

Sean

How do you add a credit card to your online profile on banking 365? Can a question like this be asked over an internet forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

Hi Amprodude,

That is a perfectly good question to ask. 

You just need to contact Banking 365 directly and a representative will be happy to assist you.  You will have to have your account and Credit Card details to hand before you call as you will be asked additional security questions.

Banking 365 contact details:

ROI: 0818 365 365
    NI:   0845 7 365 555
    GB:  0845 7 365 333
    International: +353 1 404 4000

Many thanks for posting

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Erkan

Hi There..

i received a text message a transaction appearing on my credit card and i reply this text as FLAG

i received this text message after the flight landed , i turned it on my phone  and i replied the text..also i have called the bank and they cancel my credit card!

they also inform me that fraud department will investigate and they will call me however its been a week now and i got no return plus

i received an email from fraud department regarding to this transaction and i response to email twice but still got no answer?

i cant call them as i am abroad on my holiday which will cost me again..i can see two transaction on my credit card statement which are not mine!!

can anyone tell me what to do ?how long does it takes fraud department to investigate this ? can anyone let me know how this investigate going by email any chance?

Please response!

Thank you ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I'm on my fourth credit card in around six months, with fraud on the previous three, and nobody from Fraud department has ever been in touch with me regarding their findings. I feel there's a breach somewhere in my online browsing. I am suspecting file hosting sites are to blame, so I'm finished subscribing to them e.g. Uploaded, Keep2share, Rapidgator etc. I reinstalled Windows on my laptop and factory restored my tablet and phone. Hopefully that will help matters. OP if you are doing anything dodgy, you should do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Erkan

Hi Ally

My pc has just arrived from repair and has been formatted and installed latest softwares so plus i do not use any filesharing etc also i have deep knowledge of using pc and internet, plus i use very effective antivirus programs..i do not think this happen online..

but fraud department should have been contact with you in this matter, i work in a bank aswell and this is unusual they do not keep customer informed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I'm on my fourth credit card in around six months, with fraud on the previous three, and nobody from Fraud department has ever been in touch with me regarding their findings. I feel there's a breach somewhere in my online browsing. I am suspecting file hosting sites are to blame, so I'm finished subscribing to them e.g. Uploaded, Keep2share, Rapidgator etc. I reinstalled Windows on my laptop and factory restored my tablet and phone. Hopefully that will help matters. OP if you are doing anything dodgy, you should do the same
    I used to work for a bank myself. Wasn't involved in fraud dept or anything though

Advertisement