Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do?

Options
  • 21-04-2013 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

View2-19022634.jpeg

Any opinions on this
    Impreza

I have a 2001 Citroen Saxo which is dying.

Needs a couple of things that I can tell:
    Drivers mirror
    Exhaust box was spot welded a couple of years ago and some holes are starting to appear.

The Saxo is the 1.1 furio with 76000 miles.

Would I be better off fixing the Saxo or going for something else like the Impreza and driving it for the next 2-3 years.

Was hoping to get a further 18 months out of the Saxo before spending up to €10000 on a mid sized car.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

How much would exhaust and mirror cost!?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's gonna be a pig on petrol if its 1.5 automatic with 4wd.
    Is it 4wd I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Not only will it be a pig on fuel, it will be a pig to drive as well as these are very underpowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not gonna win any beauty contests either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruamar

How much would exhaust and mirror cost!?

To be honest, I am not sure but I'd imagine I'm looking at €300 to €400. I know it's not too much but the repair bills are starting to kick in over the last couple of years
    JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Not only will it be a pig on fuel, it will be a pig to drive as well as these are very underpowered.

Are they that bad?
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not gonna win any beauty contests either :D

not too worried about that, thanks for the tips so far. Any more advice welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You should get that sorted for a lot less than 3/400. Well I would guess so.

The Saxo isn't dying by any means. If you want something new then fair enough, I just don't think that subaru is the best option!

ruamar wrote: »
    To be honest, I am not sure but I'd imagine I'm looking at €300 to €400. I know it's not too much but the repair bills are starting to kick in over the last couple of years

Are they that bad?

not too worried about that, thanks for the tips so far. Any more advice welcome
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't get the Subaru, stay with the current car.
    Mirror and exhaust can be fixed on the cheap if you're not too fussed, and getting a car for 2k that's "just out of nct" isn't the best deal you can make.

Thanks all for the advice.

I intend to change the Saxo within the next 12 -18 months. But have noticed a slight noise from the exhaust the last couple of days and didn't really want to continue spending too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

If you don't like spending money fixing cars avoid a 1.5 Auto scooby tbh :p

• Advertisement

If you don't like spending money fixing cars avoid a 1.5 Auto scooby tbh :p
    Why? what problems do they give?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Gearbox on the auto tries to eat itself in 3rd, fuel filter problems with temperature are a couple that i am aware of beyond that meh it's fugly and thirsty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

ruamar wrote: »
    Needs a couple of things that I can tell:
    Drivers mirror
    Exhaust box was spot welded a couple of years ago and some holes are starting to appear.

That's not dying. Get a new exhaust, mirror and keep the car you know on the road instead of buying something you have no idea about what could go wrong, how much to look after etc

Had a couple of mishaps with the car, decided to go down the fit-it route. Booked to drop it in with mechanic last Thursday evening.

Was driving carefully and keeping revs below 20k. Was turning (slowly) round a bend when the front end of the exhaust dropped onto the ground. Was told by the call-out mechanic that the manifold was gone or the front part of the pipe was gone. He managed to strap it up enough for me to get by until I could bring it to the mechanic.

Long story short, the manifold area was welded, brand new mirror put on with a few other things done, total cost €188.

Out of interest (not seriously thinking of buying, will get another couple of years out of the Saxo) what are the opinions on this:
    High mileage A3

Advertisement