Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22lr accuracy and CCI Stingers

Options
  • 21-04-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

So lads I decided it was time for my bi annual, what ammo is right for my .22lr experiment, today as I wasn't feeling the eley subs anymore.

Target was at 50 yards with an 10 o clock 5-15mph gusting wind ( it just wouldn't settle down ), so please forgive the not so amazing groups but I did the best I could.

Rifle is a cz452 style with all the usual yo dave bits and bobs in it.

All groups are 5 shot.

Ammo used was eley subs, eley match, cci mini mags, cci standard, cci stingers, federal bulk box and lapua center X.

I have never fired CCI stingers before and to be honest after everything I read was not expecting much. But to my surprise, they appeared to be the most accurate!

Anyone have any experience with CCI stingers? I'm going to get a few boxes and see how they do out to 200 yards. Anyone gone down this road before with stingers or have any predictions on the outcome???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Watch out for copper fouling with Stingers - they have a copper jacket, unlike slower rounds.

Accuracy suffers above 80yds or so, reason discussed ad nauseum in other threads.

They hit really hard, if you hunt with them - this is a compelling reason to ignore the accuracy loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

Did u clean barrel between ammo changes? It takes about 10 rounds before the barrel accuracy is set for the ammo type, then try your 5 shot group, there will be a big differance

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

the stingers are more accurate under 75 yards but because there a lighter round (only 32grain) they lose it after that,
    stingers are not really meant for semi-autos they have a longer case compared to all other rounds and
    they might end up jamming,
    not only that they have less punch after 50 yards the cci velocitors!!

heres the stinger spec

Velocity, ft/sec
    MUZZLE.....50 YARDS....75 YARDS....100 YARDS

Energy, ft-lbs
    191...............119............96 ...............81

Trajectory if sighted at 75 yards
    25 YARDS...50 YARDS...75 YARDS....100 YARDS
    0.1................0.7............0.0.............-2.3

and the velocitor

Velocity, ft/sec
    MUZZLE.....50 YARDS.....75 YARDS...100 YARDS

Energy, ft-lbs

Trajectory if sighted at 75 yards
    25 YARDS....50 YARDS...75 YARDS...100 YARDS
    0.3.................0.9...........0.0............-2.5

as you can see over 75 yards the velocitor has more speed and is harder hitting!!
    hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Thanks for the replies lads, on reviewing the target pics I'm going to grab some mini mags and stingers and do some long range (for a .22) testing and post the results here.

Had it not been for the wind, the mini mags may have come out tops. We shall see.

To be continued...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

What are the cost differences between brands ect, do you buy in bulk ect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Have you tried playing with the torque settings on the action screws?

Here are two posts that I did up testing torque settings in the Improving Factory CZ 452 thread.

SK Standard Plus

Eley Match

Advertisement