Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God of War II - its amazing.

• 21-04-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

So yeah, God of War II is pretty damn great. I had a thread about a month ago about the first God of War game while I played through that for the first time. I thought it was excellent and a few people mentioned that the sequel was better. So far I think it is. The game is a few years old now so spoilers ahead I guess.

Everything bar the story so far is more impressive. The graphics are improved (bear in mind I'm playing the HD remake), the scale is more impressive and the Kratos feels a bit more responsive to control. I loved the whole sequence with the Steeds of Fate and the sections with control over time is a neat addition. There was a great little moment that I just played through tonight where a guy jumps to his death but you travel back a few moments in time to stop him killing himself. I'm a sucker for anything time travel related and this was a nice moment in the game.

The whole level where you are climbing around on Atlas was great too. That is something I didn't think I ever say about a level with platforming elements in a GoW game. The Icarus wings making jumping so much better. Speaking of the wings, the sequence in which you tear them from Icarus is amazing. Another element that this game is better is the puzzles. There are still a lot of pushing blocks involved but I've enjoyed them better this time around.

I think the only part of the game that I'm not enjoying as much is the story. I'm not sure if it is poor, the problem is that I'm just not sure there is much of a story at all. Basically Kratos is angry at the Zeus for something and wants to kill him. Not very deep. But with the gameplay this much fun it just doesn't really matter very much.

This is definitely the best of the trilogy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

make sure you play the psp games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

make sure you play the psp games :)

I've thought about it but I'm not sure I'd want to play the PSP games on the PS3 on a big TV. If I end up getting a Vita I suppose I could play them on that. I think the GoW Collections are remote playable on the Vita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Not being bitter, but there is a "review" section up the top of the Games section. No real need to start a whole new thread on a 6 year old game telling us how much you enjoyed it.
    It's just that it doesn't open anything up for discussion really. I loved GOW also, never got to play the 3rd as I don't own a PS3 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Not being bitter, but there is a "review" section up the top of the Games section. No real need to start a whole new thread on a 6 year old game telling us how much you enjoyed it.
    It's just that it doesn't open anything up for discussion really. I loved GOW also, never got to play the 3rd as I don't own a PS3 though.

I wasn't reviewing the game so no need to put it in the reviews section. The previous thread that I mentioned did generate some discussion so I felt a new one is justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I've thought about it but I'm not sure I'd want to play the PSP games on the PS3 on a big TV. If I end up getting a Vita I suppose I could play them on that. I think the GoW Collections are remote playable on the Vita.

ive played ghost of sparta on ps3 and it feels no different than playing on handheld. on psn store for 8 quid about 5-6 hours long

well worth the investment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GoW 2 really is a massive improvement on the original game. The combat isn't deep at all and amounts to 'always be dodging' but you're given a lot more toys to mess around with even if they aren't necessary. The level design and much better and more boss battles is what I really liked about it.

The story however is absolutely appalling and it's basically the story of Kratos throwing his toys out of the pram. Unlike the first game when he had a reason for his violent rampage he has absolutely no character in this one.

I think the penny arcade strip at the time summed up most peoples feelings about the game:

217498941_UNH3Z-L-2.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    GoW 2 really is a massive improvement on the original game. The combat isn't deep at all and amounts to 'always be dodging' but you're given a lot more toys to mess around with even if they aren't necessary. The level design and much better and more boss battles is what I really liked about it.

The story however is absolutely appalling and it's basically the story of Kratos throwing his toys out of the pram. Unlike the first game when he had a reason for his violent rampage he has absolutely no character in this one.

I think the penny arcade strip at the time summed up most peoples feelings about the game:

217498941_UNH3Z-L-2.jpg

Looks really good. cant wait to get my hands on it!

Advertisement