Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frustrating

Options
  • 21-04-2013 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Back in January I submitted my renewal application and all supporting documentation for a firearm.

After that, I submitted an FCA2 cancellation for a different firearm that I had just sold.

Rang local station three times since January to see status of my renewal. Same answer every time......'its being processed'.

So last week I get a letter from the local station about the firearm I had sold and asking if I had submitted an FCA2 or if I was going to renew.

It went on to tell me that it is a criminal offense to have an unlicensed firearm in my possession.

Rang station, my FCA2 was not found so I went in with another. Job done.

Irony of it is that AGS, in taking so long processing my application, have actually caused me to be in possession of an unlicensed firearm on my renewal but when I mention this on the phone, I am told....'its alright'.

So the law is the law but can be flexed in the laws favor?

Ridiculous

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    Back in January I submitted my renewal application and all supporting documentation for a firearm.

After that, I submitted an FCA2 cancellation for a different firearm that I had just sold.

Rang local station three times since January to see status of my renewal. Same answer every time......'its being processed'.

So last week I get a letter from the local station about the firearm I had sold and asking if I had submitted an FCA2 or if I was going to renew.

It went on to tell me that it is a criminal offense to have an unlicensed firearm in my possession.

Rang station, my FCA2 was not found so I went in with another. Job done.

Irony of it is that AGS, in taking so long processing my application, have actually caused me to be in possession of an unlicensed firearm on my renewal but when I mention this on the phone, I am told....'its alright'.

So the law is the law but can be flexed in the laws favor?

Ridiculous
    Send a registered letter to the supers secretary explaining whats going on , im fairly confident you will get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

He it's ridiculous alright no doubt about it.

So your cleared with the one you sold. Did you get your renewal back out yet for the other firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Rang the supers office today, spoke to a nice lady.

She said she would check it out for me.

Rang back three hours later and told me that she had just processed my application.

I was delighted to hear this! It was too good to be true, she tells me in the next sentence that she had processed my FCA2 for the firearm I had sold :rolleyes:

Asked her about the renewal, she asked how long ago I sent it in and I told her. She said she would call me back...............................still waiting.

I said that I was worried about using the rifle with an expired license and she said ' Dont worry, you'll be grand' :rolleyes:

A complete joke

It's a bit much infairness. Ok they take so long to process in the first place not really grand but what can you do. But how do they loose applications all the time I don't understand it.

What can you do with out been frown upon.

This just keeps getting better........

Got a call from the FO this evening to tell me my application, which was apparently being processed all the other times I rang, was lost.

A bit of an odd one as I hand delivered it and got a receipt.

Jesus on a bicycle.......this country would drive you mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Keep calm it'll all be over soon he knows he has made a mess of it and an ass of himself so it will be done quick smart. The same thing has happened to me on more than one occasion, It is like watching a slow motion car crash. All you can do is laugh and think of how nice it'll be once it's all over and you have your new toy in your hands.

juice1304 wrote: »
    Keep calm it'll all be over soon he knows he has made a mess of it and an ass of himself so it will be done quick smart. The same thing has happened to me on more than one occasion, It is like watching a slow motion car crash. All you can do is laugh and think of how nice it'll be once it's all over and you have your new toy in your hands.

Thanks Juice, you are right but I have been calling for months and getting tired of waiting as last time I waited 9 months for the renewal, again it was lost.

Got a call again from the FO tonight, he processed the application but reckons the paper work got lost when it went up (stairs) with 50 odd other applications.

Asked me to submit a new application tomorrow and I will have it within a week with an ammo increase on the same license.

To be honest, it is a pain but at least he is trying to sort it now.

Infairness 9 months is fairly excessive for a renewal. Look don't get wound up with him because that's what he will remember you for then. Now he will remember you because they messed you around and your better of that way. Imo.
    Fill in the form and get it back in. And you know another annoying thing is more than Likely you will have to go and get more passport photos taken ( It would just fit in with the tone of the whole lot ).

At least it getting sorted now doe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Is it just me...Or doesnt anyone find it somwhat alarming how many times a year AGS "lose" firearms applications and the rlevent files in various different stations around our island??
    Yet all the other mountains of paperwork of a very busy police force never seems to go lost??? Least of all anything that might benefit us taxpayers like summonses for speeding fines or parking tickets.:p
    Were this a private company that was handling sensitive personal data and files were going missing on such a regular basis there would have been

[1] Hell to pay with the data and privacy watchdogs,and they would be going over the system with a fine tooth comb to find out who ,what and when,and why and how this file got mislaid and who was in charge of it.

[2]Demand a proper audit of procedures and that a system is put in place that sorts out this loss of very sensitive personal info,and you cant get more sensitive than firearms information.

It kind of makes a mockery of all the guidelines and security advice then if the main handlers of this data is losing it in, or out their stations somhow??

Surely this continous loss of files should be something to alarm AGS themselves and that they conduct an internal investigation as to how this potentially valueable information might be possibly falling into criminal hands??

Something is not right with this at all.:confused::(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Is it just me...Or doesnt anyone find it somwhat alarming how many times a year AGS "lose" firearms applications and the rlevent files in various different stations around our island??
    Yet all the other mountains of paperwork of a very busy police force never seems to go lost??? Least of all anything that might benefit us taxpayers like summonses for speeding fines or parking tickets.:p
    Were this a private company that was handling sensitive personal data and files were going missing on such a regular basis there would have been

[1] Hell to pay with the data and privacy watchdogs,and they would be going over the system with a fine tooth comb to find out who ,what and when,and why and how this file got mislaid and who was in charge of it.

[2]Demand a proper audit of procedures and that a system is put in place that sorts out this loss of very sensitive personal info,and you cant get more sensitive than firearms information.

It kind of makes a mockery of all the guidelines and security advice then if the main handlers of this data is losing it in, or out their stations somhow??

Surely this continous loss of files should be something to alarm AGS themselves and that they conduct an internal investigation as to how this potentially valueable information might be possibly falling into criminal hands??

Something is not right with this at all.:confused::(

Couldnt have put it better myself, its a disgrace & total incompetence to do there job.

• Advertisement

fiestaman wrote: »
    Couldnt have put it better myself, its a disgrace & total incompetence to do there job.

On a good note, if such a thing could be good considering a 9 month loss last time.

I was in tonight and literally said 'lose this and i will go legal'

told the license will be a week and got a genuine apology.....................................lets see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Or you could ask the bin collectors who collect from your local station to keep an eye out:D

Letter acknowledging receipt arrived yesterday.

Grant letter arrived today :D

Lets see how it goes and if its the correct license with the correct requirements.

:rolleyes:

Finally got the license today :rolleyes:

Everything is correct on it for moderator and ammo increase, end of a saga.

only have to wait 3 years to have the same fun all over again.

I mean in two renewal periods, its got lost each time for anything between 5-9 months.

At least it gives you something to look forward to.

Advertisement