Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you enter UCD arts with a fail in maths?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Im doing ordinary maths and im not 100% sure if ill pass or not if I fail can I still enter in the arts course if i get the right points?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Not sure of the exact requirements but I remember you don't need to pass maths, so you'll be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It should list the requirements for Arts on the UCD website, I remember needing maths though. My addvice, your Leaving Cert is what, at leasta month away? Try and focus on it as much as you can between now and then, maybe get some grinds to help you prepare for the exam. I did ordinary maths, was terrible at it, got grinds and got a B in it, was pretty delighted.

In any case, every subject you do is worth points.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Even if the course you plan on doing doesn't require maths, you will need to have a pass in an ordinary paper in order to complete matriculation.

If it makes you feel any better, I know somebody who failed honours maths in their leaving cert, but still had enough points for arts. They contacted UCD, and were permitted to start the course providing they re-sat and passed the LC maths exam the following summer. I'm not sure if it's the same now, but don't worry about it until your results come out. It's amazing what you can do under pressure in an exam.

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, the student in question got a 1.1 in their degree!

I'm almost sure you don't need to pass maths at all to get into arts, even matriculate? What would be the point of not listing maths on the arts requirement list if you need it to be considered for the course? I'm pretty sure some of my friends who did OL called UCD last year to make absolutely sure too. They all passed it in the end so I can't say with certainty, but I've seen it mentioned around boards in the past too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

From the prospectus
    Are there any other subjects that are always required?
    As English is the teaching language of the University, all applicants must have a pass in English Ordinary or Higher level (or equivalent in other exams). Mathematics is required for many programmes but not for Arts, Social Science and Law. In addition, some programmes require a third language and/or a laboratory science subject. Full details are available in our Summary Entry Requirements sheet, available at www.ucd.ie/myucd/entryrequirements or in hard copy from the Student Desk.

Emphasis Mine. The linked table does also show exactly which CAO courses require what subjects, and is the one IrishKnight linked above.

However, there are streams inside Arts with various different requirements - Economics recommends a HC3/OB3 in Maths, French the same in Frech, German has an experienced stream with similar requirements. Personally, I'd also think that the same requirement as Economics should apply to Maths and Stats, having done some of the modules expected of them.

I think a HC3 actually is required for maths, though the HC3 for French/German is just a "recommendation" (though you'd be in a bad way with just a C3).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It's not. Maths and Stats has no special requirements listed on the prospectus, or on the site, and the economics one is just a "recommendation" like the french german ones.

Didn't check if and of the maths and stats modules listed a requirement mind, but I'd be surprised if they did, if it wasn't mentioned elsewhere.

Advertisement