Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The fall of the roman empire

Options
  • 22-04-2013 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭

So when did the roman empire (ancient rome don't bring that holy crowd into it) fall. Was it with the western empire or can you really count the eastern empire (aka byzantine empire) after the western demise Rome?

clearly meant to say did :(

When sis the Roman empire fall 10 votes

When the western empire fell roughly around 475-480 AD
    0% 0 votes
    when the eastern empire fell in the 15 centuary
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

History makes the distinction between the Eastern and the Western halves for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭Guffy

Ravelleman wrote: »
    History makes the distinction between the Eastern and the Western halves for a reason.

but does it? personally i agree with you but I've been having an argument on the general knowledge question regarding this. 2 or 3 times since i started following it the question of 'who was the last roman emperor?' pops up and it always ends up with the last eastern emperor being the correct answer. It just irks me so I figured I'd pop on here and see if I could get a debate going in the correct forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

You forgot a third option "that it still stands" in Moscow

"Two Romes have fallen. The third stands. And there will be no fourth. No one shall replace your Christian Tsardom!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Rome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

gufc21 wrote: »
    Was it with the western empire or can you really count the eastern empire (aka byzantine empire) after the western demise Rome?
    You can if you want. You can also claim it was the Holy Roman Empire. Plenty of people have laid claim to the title as successor of Rome and it always sparks debate

It's a poor quiz question precisely because it is so open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The Byzantines still saw themselves as Roman so they would have seen the Roman Empire as ending with them.

I view it as this way as well since it was a surviving part of the Roman Empire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

The Greeks may have called themselves what they wanted but they were about as 'Roman' as the Germans. Arguably less: the early German Emperors at least visited the city to receive their crowns

Advertisement