Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 Visa transfer

Options
  • 22-04-2013 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I have been offered a new job and the new company is willing to sponsor me on a 457 also. Has anyone been through this before?

I am wondering at what point should I hand in my notice to current employer, I need to give 4 weeks notice?
    When should new company submit my visa transfer, i.e. as soon as I give my notice or week or 2 before my notice is up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

HI Digiman,

I would not hand in my notice until you have a signed contract from the new company. They can apply for the 457 visa which you continue working with the first company.
    Both the notice and 457 application should take about the same time to run.

As soon as the 457 application is submitted, you will go onto a bridging visa automatically when your existing visa expires.

Regards,
    Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

457 will take anything from 2 days to 2 weeks to transfer across.

As Declan said, only hand in your notice and complete the forms for the visa transfer once you have a formal (signed) contract from your new employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Mine took 4 days back in July 2012. Easy process if they've recruited 457 before. About two weeks if they haven't and can lodge the application same time the company is applying for nomination rights.

As said. Sign contract first.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

Hi guys.

I had been given my 28 days from the DIAC after being made redundant from the company that was sponsoring me. I have now found another company willing to sponsor me.

Is it just a case of them submitting Form 1196N as long as they are an approved sponsor?

I am currently waiting on a response from the Sponsor Monitoring Unit of the DIAC, hopefully I can get some information here prior to such time as they respond.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mikester21

Do you have to stay with the 2nd company for another 2years to go for the 186 visa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mikester21 wrote: »
    Do you have to stay with the 2nd company for another 2years to go for the 186 visa?

Yes you start from scratch again, unless you can obtain a skills assessment and use the direct entry route.

Thanks for that, well that sucks, my occupation is on the list so I could do that but its alot harder then 186

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks for that, well that sucks, my occupation is on the list so I could do that but its alot harder then 186
    You misunderstood Mandrake's post. Direct entry is still the 186 visa. This is the standard 186 visa. You can apply for this at any time.

The 2 years on a 457 allows you to apply for a 186 via the transition stream, this means you skip the skills assessment. Other than that its the same.

There no requirement for be in a job 2 years before applying for a 186 visa

Ah ok thanks, I thought the Normal PR visa was under a different subclass. Ive been offered a new job after 2 years on 457 and dont know if its worth all the hassle. I wouldnt have enough time left to go transition stream

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah ok thanks, I thought the Normal PR visa was under a different subclass. Ive been offered a new job after 2 years on 457 and dont know if its worth all the hassle. I wouldnt have enough time left to go transition stream
    I think you are mixing up the independant skilled migration with direct entry 186.
    Two different visas.

You could transfer the 457 and go for a 186 without transition (ie direct stream). Only difference is you need a skills assessment and maybe a little longer processing.

Or if you'd rather skip the skills assessment, then wait for 2 years with current employer and go transition stream.

• Advertisement

So the only difference between Direct Entry stream and Transition stream is that you need skills assessed for direct entry? Does your occupation have to be on the current SOL?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

So the only difference between Direct Entry stream and Transition stream is that you need skills assessed for direct entry? Does your occupation have to be on the current SOL?

Occupation has to be on the CSOL for both streams, Direct Entry requires min 3 years post qualification experience.

Thanks so much, that clears it up for me. That's the option for me so I think. If I transfer my 457 now half way through I cant go transition stream due to time restraints and I cant get a 189 visa as its not on the SOL but it is on CSOL and I have well over 3 years ecperience, just have to get the new company to aggree to this before I join right?

Quick question, if my 457 transfer is granted for my new job during my 4 week notice period with my old job, can I still legally work for the old company until my 4 weeks are up?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lavelle72

Quick question, if my 457 transfer is granted for my new job during my 4 week notice period with my old job, can I still legally work for the old company until my 4 weeks are up?

I believe so, yes - there's special circumstances that apply to this scenario from memory. BTW I've moved across 3 different companies on 457s.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭crazy8

lavelle72, digiman and anyone else,

Did you get a 457 'package' and did you have to pay back any costs or benefits which the company had provided for? My company paid for my first month's rent, yearly return flight, a small relocation settlement allowance and the 457 visa obviously. (I presume the money they paid to get the 457 visa is gone and any new company would have to pay for a new 457 visa, correct?)

Would be interested to know what costs a 457 might be liable to pay or if it's the norm for the new company to pay those costs incurred by the previous employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

I was given 3k to move to Oz. the stipulation I was given was if I left before a year was up I would then have to pay it back

Advertisement