Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got fined for rubbish

Options
  • 22-04-2013 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

recently i got a fine for rubbish. however i left the rubbish wherre myu landlord told me on his private property. he said he would sort it out but i am a bit worried about it. can you be fined for leaving rubbish where you have been told to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Bob Z wrote: »
    recently i got a fine for rubbish. however i left the rubbish wherre myu landlord told me on his private property. he said he would sort it out but i am a bit worried about it. can you be fined for leaving rubbish where you have been told to?

It clearly wasn't his private property. Or else the rubbish wasn't secure and a dog or something got at it.

Are you planning on appealing the fine? What does your landlord say?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When did you leave it there ? Bin day? A few days before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

How is he disposing of the rubbish? Ring the local authority little warden (who I presumed issued the fine) and tell them your landlord disposed of the rubbish. Are you in a flat/house/apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It depends on the nature of the issue. Were you fined for allowing rubbish to build up in your back yard? Or did the landlord take your rubbish to dispose of and then just dump it on the side of the road or something?

In the first scenario its really up to you to ensure that rubbish is not allowed to build up on your property, as the neighbours would be well within their rights to report you for it, even if it is on private property (Im not sure if you are issued with a fine for a first offense though).

In the second scenario I would have thought you should have a case to appeal provided you can show some evidence that the landlord has been removing the rubbish from the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

he said he would sort it out but i am a bit worried about it. can you be fined for leaving rubbish where you have been told to?
    Sounds like he may have illegally dumped it, and when the CC opened up the bag, they found your name...y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

It clearly wasn't his private property. Or else the rubbish wasn't secure and a dog or something got at it.

Are you planning on appealing the fine? What does your landlord say?

The rubbish was on his private property where we were told to to dump. all the flats in the block do the same thing. however its not put into bins its just left there. the council i think took it on themselves to clean it up. The landlord said he would sort it out but i am worried in case he doesnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

The rubbish was on his private property where we were told to to dump. all the flats in the block do the same thing. however its not put into bins its just left there. the council i think took it on themselves to clean it up. The landlord said he would sort it out but i am worried in case he doesnt

There are rules about litter, for example, if litter on private property is visible from a public place, then there can be fines and/or prosecutions.

But on a broader note, did you not stop to think that simply dumping bags of household waste, not in a bin or anything, would be a bad idea? That it could attract rats? That allowing a build up of rubbish in a residential complex is not a good thing to do?

Presumably by the time the council bothered to collect it it had been there a while (I know from experience they dont tend to be quick about these things) - had you not noticed there was no official weekly bin collections going on?

On the one hand I sympathise, you did what the landlord told you. On the other hand I think you need to take some responsibility because any sane adult should recognise a build up of dumped rubbish on the ground as a bad thing.

There are rules about litter, for example, if litter on private property is visible from a public place, then there can be fines and/or prosecutions.

But on a broader note, did you not stop to think that simply dumping bags of household waste, not in a bin or anything, would be a bad idea? That it could attract rats? That allowing a build up of rubbish in a residential complex is not a good thing to do?

Presumably by the time the council bothered to collect it it had been there a while (I know from experience they dont tend to be quick about these things) - had you not noticed there was no official weekly bin collections going on?

On the one hand I sympathise, you did what the landlord told you. On the other hand I think you need to take some responsibility because any sane adult should recognise a build up of dumped rubbish on the ground as a bad thing.

Yes but we are all doing it. What else am i supposed to do with the rubbish? There is a few bags there but i seem to getting the blame for it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Never have your name on anything in the rubbish. Shred it.

MMAGirl wrote: »
    Never have your name on anything in the rubbish. Shred it.

i nearlyu always do but i forgot this once

• Advertisement

Yes but we are all doing it. What else am i supposed to do with the rubbish? There is a few bags there but i seem to getting the blame for it all.

Unfortunately for you I dont think "sure everyone else was doing it" is going to wash with the council. So what if everyone else was doing it? That doesnt make it right!

I can only assume that you are an adult given that you are old enough to rent somewhere - do you really need someone to spell out to you what you are supposed to do with rubbish?

What you are supposed to do with rubbish is dispose of it in a responsible manner.

If the landlord tells you to dump it, not even in bins, and its not being collected then you hassle your landlord to provide a proper solution and in the meantime you find other ways to dispose of it. You contact the local authority for advice perhaps?

I appreciate that you trusted the landlord but once you saw it wasnt being collected, the onus was back on you to act. It was a bad sign that there were no bins to put it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The bottom line unfortunately here is that you were the one who was dumping the rubbish, not the landlord. I appreciate the situation that you find yourself in, but ultimately you left the bags where they shouldnt have been left. If the landlord sorts it out for you then great, and I hope he does if he was the one who thought that it was an acceptable arrangement for refuse disposal, but if he turns around and does nothing for you then Im not sure how much come back you will have.

Unfortunately for you I dont think "sure everyone else was doing it" is going to wash with the council. So what if everyone else was doing it? That doesnt make it right!

I can only assume that you are an adult given that you are old enough to rent somewhere - do you really need someone to spell out to you what you are supposed to do with rubbish?

What you are supposed to do with rubbish is dispose of it in a responsible manner.

If the landlord tells you to dump it, not even in bins, and its not being collected then you hassle your landlord to provide a proper solution and in the meantime you find other ways to dispose of it. You contact the local authority for advice perhaps?

I appreciate that you trusted the landlord but once you saw it wasnt being collected, the onus was back on you to act. It was a bad sign that there were no bins to put it in.

The rubbish was being collected but slowly. I have told some of the neighbours and they are still dumping it there. As i am myself. ThIf we dont dump it there we have no where else to dump it.

I dont know the details but there is some sort of dispute going on. There is skip there but we didnt get the keys. The skip are ussed by a different block of flats but they are on our landlords land. We used these skips until they started putting locks on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Is arranging an account with a bin company out of the question? Like, get together with the neighbours and get a communal bin that's collected every week?

Is arranging an account with a bin company out of the question? Like, get together with the neighbours and get a communal bin that's collected every week?

ok ill look into that but shouldnt this be worked out by the landlord? its impractical where we to have wheelie bins i think

so is the general consensus here that i am the one going to get the blame for it? we were to told to dump the rubbish there temporarily until we go the keys. i didnt realise there was any sort of dispute or we were breaking the law

I dont know the details but there is some sort of dispute going on. There is skip there but we didnt get the keys. The skip are ussed by a different block of flats but they are on our landlords land. We used these skips until they started putting locks on them

Sounds like the landlord is behaving in a totally irresponsible manner. Perhaps get onto PRTB (as a group) for advice?

Its not acceptable that you have nowhere for waste disposal, so if I were you Id contact the local authority and ask them what you are to do with your waste.

Depending on how long this is going on for or goes on for, perhaps think of renting elsewhere, its a bad sign when the landlord doesnt even bother to have waste facilities for his tenants.

so is the general consensus here that i am the one going to get the blame for it? we were to told to dump the rubbish there temporarily until we go the keys. i didnt realise there was any sort of dispute or we were breaking the law

Think about this, if the landlord told you to break in somewhere and you did - who is to blame, you or the landlord? Its not a defence to say "someone else told me to do it". You have to take responsibility for your own actions.

In theory, when the landlord said to dump it, you should have said no and asked for proper facilities. But I understand that you didnt put that much thought into it and just did it thinking it was a temporary solution. I dont think the council will be as understanding though.

How long has it been going on for that you have had no bins?

It was about 2 months. There is about at least other flats that do the same thing for the first week i didnt dump any rubbish at all i just kept in the flat thinking i was going to get the keys until i was to dump it beside the skip. however i was told this verbally it was never written down. although i presume everyone got told it. My neighbour used to dump it at night but i thought he was just being silly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Is there a clause in your lease that refers to rubbish collection? If not, then you would be responsible for disposing of it in a legal manner.

However, a landlord must comply with the following:
    The house (or apartment) shall have access to suitable and adequate pest and vermin-proof refuse storage facilities.

But it may still be your responsibility to have this rubbish removed.

2 months!

I think all you can do is tell the council what your landlord told you, and deal with the consequences.

And find a proper way of disposing of your rubbish going forward.

Advertisement