Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre with Sky BB

Options
  • 22-04-2013 4:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭

Hi Mark, I'm with sky  for my BB, my area is being cabled for fibre at the moment and will probably go live on the May launch. When it goes live will I have to change back to Eircom or Magnet to avail of this service or will sky be able to provide the service to me? My BB contract with sky is until January 2014. My exchange is Enniscorthy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

Fibre Broadband is Exclusively available to Eircom Customers only I think, so I'd be changing back if I were you. Sky BB is unreliable and very bad customer service. I have them for my TV service and Im holding off until Eircom launches eTV later on in the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

jca wrote: »
    Hi Mark, I'm with sky  for my BB, my area is being cabled for fibre at the moment and will probably go live on the May launch. When it goes live will I have to change back to Eircom or Magnet to avail of this service or will sky be able to provide the service to me? My BB contract with sky is until January 2014. My exchange is Enniscorthy.
    Hi jca

Unfortunately we are unable to advise on what service other providers are offering and the best advice I can offer is to contact your current provider in relation to this.

Regards

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

psalbmb wrote: »
    Fibre Broadband is Exclusively available to Eircom Customers only I think, so I'd be changing back if I were you. Sky BB is unreliable and very bad customer service. I have them for my TV service and Im holding off until Eircom launches eTV later on in the year
    None of whats in this post is true!! Magnet will also be providing BB over fibre( Fat Pipe) they confirmed to me by e-mail. If you took time to actually read my post you would see that I'm tied to a contract until Jan '14 so "changing back" isn't an option at this time. eTV, if its anything like the dreaded BTVision it's best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stemmurphy

Hi

My thoughts are currently both Eircom and Vodafone are advertising for registration of interest on there websites. I can't see why SKY Ireland wont do the same. The new Fibre newtork being sold by Eircom Wholesale is an open access network and can be sold by any licensed ISP be it Eircom, Vodafone or Sky etc... The expected go live date is the 20th of May in major urban areas such as Dublin, Cork and Limerick and in locations across Ireland such as Letterkenny, Ballina, Castlebar, Drogheda, Sligo and Ennis. Best bet is contact SKY directly, ref a registering your interest in the service if available.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

stemmurphy wrote: »
    Hi

My thoughts are currently both Eircom and Vodafone are advertising for registration of interest on there websites. I can't see why SKY Ireland wont do the same. The new Fibre newtork being sold by Eircom Wholesale is an open access network and can be sold by any licensed ISP be it Eircom, Vodafone or Sky etc... The expected go live date is the 20th of May in major urban areas such as Dublin, Cork and Limerick and in locations across Ireland such as Letterkenny, Ballina, Castlebar, Drogheda, Sligo and Ennis. Best bet is contact SKY directly, ref a registering your interest in the service if available.
    I raised the question with Sky last week and the answer I got was ... Sorry , no plans for now but maybe considered in the future 
    Very vague reply ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Vico1612 wrote: »
    I raised the question with Sky last week and the answer I got was ... Sorry , no plans for now but maybe considered in the future 
    Very vague reply ...
    Sky cant even deliver 2mbps in the evenings on a 15mbps line, why on earth would fttc make a difference?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Sky cant even deliver 2mbps in the evenings on a 15mbps line, why on earth would fttc make a difference?
    Eh.....Because its fibre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi keno-daytrader

Fibre broadband is much faster.

The following link has details on fibre broadband and the advantages it offers:

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/eircom-Fibre-Broadband/td-p/19450

Regards

Al

Hi keno-daytrader

Fibre broadband is much faster.

The following link has details on fibre broadband and the advantages it offers:

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/eircom-Fibre-Broadband/td-p/19450

Regards

Al
    Hi Al, I was responding to a question asked about Sky, I know Eircom can deliver the speeds it promises thru fiber.

Eh.....Because its fibre...
    It wont matter if Sky have fiber right to your door, if they dont have the back haul to handle the number of customers on their network, you will see exactly the problem Sky customers have in the evening, horrible y slow speeds.

What good is 50mb fiber from your house to the exchange, if the network is congested after the exchange  and can only deliver 1mbps? 

Eh....fiber wont make a blind bit of difference if the network is clogged.

• Advertisement

It wont matter if Sky have fiber right to your door, if they dont have the back haul to handle the number of customers on their network, you will see exactly the problem Sky customers have in the evening, horrible y slow speeds.

What good is 50mb fiber from your house to the exchange, if the network is congested after the exchange  and can only deliver 1mbps? 

Eh....fiber wont make a blind bit of difference if the network is clogged.
    What does "backhaul" mean exactly? I've seen this phrase many times on Boards and asked what it means but no one has answered me yet. I'm starting to think its a bit like "going forward" that horribly over used phrase we had to endure during the so called boom.                                                                                                                                                                                         I think you need to get the Ladybird book on basic networking, to be frank,You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

What does "backhaul" mean exactly? I've seen this phrase many times on Boards and asked what it means but no one has answered me yet. I'm starting to think its a bit like "going forward" that horribly over used phrase we had to endure during the so called boom.                                                                                                                                                                                         I think you need to get the Ladybird book on basic networking, to be frank,You haven't a clue what you're talking about.
    Oh this should be good, if you dont understand the basics of how packets of data travel over telecommunications lines then perhaps you could do a bit of reading up on the subject, before assessing other posters ability to "have a clue what they are talking about"

You might explain to us then, why on a resold Eircom line or "Bitstream" line(not an LLU exchange), the same exact line from my house to the exchange that both Eircom and Sky use, why do we see major slowdowns in the evenings with the Sky product and not the Eircom product? Please explain to us, why this happens?

deleted, not worth it.

Jca, here is a simple few sentences about backhaul that you maybe able to grasp. I used google to get this, do you know what google is? goto www.google.ie to find out.

http://www.beyondbroadband.coop/kb/tackling-backhaul-question

Backhaul is the connection over which traffic is carried from a local aggregation node such as a street cabinet or telephone exchange back to an internet gateway. It is sometimes referred to as the “middle mile” as opposed to the “last mile” or the local access network. Backhaul can be provided using different types of technology: fibre optic cable, fixed wireless radio and microwave technologies and satellite.
    I asked a question to an Eircom rep via this forum regarding Sky BB and the availability of access to the newly laid fibre. Ever since I posted my query you've been extremely rude to everyone, me in particular. Obviously I know about google but I thought by going to a popular forum like Boards I would get answers from people willing to impart their knowledge to others and not be a rude arrogant Bo**ox like you. Many thanks to both stemmurphy and Vico1612. Nice to know some decent people are following this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

I asked a question to an Eircom rep via this forum regarding Sky BB and the availability of access to the newly laid fibre. Ever since I posted my query you've been extremely rude to everyone, me in particular. Obviously I know about google but I thought by going to a popular forum like Boards I would get answers from people willing to impart their knowledge to others and not be a rude arrogant Bo**ox like you. Many thanks to both stemmurphy and Vico1612. Nice to know some decent people are following this thread.
    Yes you asked a question to an Eircom agent on a PUBLIC FORUM, so one would expect users of the website to reply. you really haven't a clue what you are talking about. when I said Fibre is exclusive to Eircom at present, both Magnet and telecom etc work in conjunction with Eircom, whereas Sky and Vodafone only rent their lines (copper), so get your facts correct

psalbmb wrote: »
    Yes you asked a question to an Eircom agent on a PUBLIC FORUM, so one would expect users of the website to reply. you really haven't a clue what you are talking about. when I said Fibre is exclusive to Eircom at present, both Magnet and telecom etc work in conjunction with Eircom, whereas Sky and Vodafone only rent their lines (copper), so get your facts correct

Jesus!! Charming people on this thread. Some of the more mannerly posters answered my query earlier, many thanks guys/ girls. Going to unfollow this post now because of all the rudeness and hostility being put in my direction. So glad I left eircom years ago, will never go back to them either. Backhaul or no backhaul....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I see lot of people are happy about getting fibre soon.

For those without. I hope Eircom takes the opportunity to upgrade those places on ASDL1 to ASDL 2?

Some many places around Ireland are still stuck on prehistoric internet speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Not unless they fix their backhaul. Sky's speed problems do not appear to have anything to do with the access network (ADSL2+) as a lot of people are reporting they'd good speeds on their previous provider over the same line.

Any ISP/telco can use eircom wholesale's access networks to provide a product. That means ADSL, ADSL2+ or "fibre" when it launches as well as traditional narrowband voice and ISDN.

eTV and any eircom branded services are exclusive to eircom retail tho. There's nothing to stop vodafone, magnet, sky or anyone else launching similar.

Advertisement