Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a Scooter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...first things first: does he have a licence or learner permit ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 24 helen12

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...first things first: does he have a licence or learner permit ?
    Yes he has a learner permit so I want to buy a bike for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

very generous!

how old is he? often its the cost of insurance that is the deciding factor on the size of bike ye can viably get going on

I'd personally go for the largest cc you can afford to insure, and legally able to ride on your permit

Wossack wrote: »
    very generous!

how old is he? often its the cost of insurance that is the deciding factor on the size of bike ye can viably get going on

I'd personally go for the largest cc you can afford to insure, and legally able to ride on your permit

He is 20 years old.Thanks for your suggestion.What you think which is good one 50cc or 125cc?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

helen12 wrote: »
    He is 20 years old.Thanks for your suggestion.What you think which is good one 50cc or 125cc?

You'll have to get insurance quotes but at least a 125 and try for a 250cc -400. 50cc will drive him mad very quickly if he does any riding outside of a busy city street. Here's a rough list of what new bikes are A2 compatible, plenty of older bikes meet the criteria.

• Advertisement

Im afraid I dont know too much about mopeds/scooters - I think the yamaha aerox (50cc), is pretty decent, as is the honda innova anf125. Try and stick with the bigger known jap brands also (imo), honda, yamaha, suzuki, kawasaki - but again, showing my lack of knowledge of mopeds that I may be missing something obvious (piaggios and vespas perhaps? or peugeot speedlights etc? )

but I'd mirror Del's thoughts above - re busier/faster road work, and insurance quotes..

Im afraid I dont know too much about mopeds/scooters - I think the yamaha aerox (50cc), is pretty decent, as is the honda innova anf125. Try and stick with the bigger known jap brands also (imo), honda, yamaha, suzuki, kawasaki - but again, showing my lack of knowledge of mopeds that I may be missing something obvious (piaggios and vespas perhaps? or peugeot speedlights etc? )

Mopeds and scooters are totally different beasts, if you can call a moped a beast.

AM, used to be M, is for bikes with less than 50cc and can't exceed 45km/h, very few scooters sold in this country meet that criteria and it doesn't have to a scooter to be a moped! These are really only useful for riding in busy traffic, or if your a Continental cousin riding on the roads at 14, as once you get onto any decent road you can't match traffic and unless you've nerves of steel you'll end up in the gutter.

At 20 the OPs brother can get an A2 licence which opens up a world of bikes, provided they can afford the insurance:(. A lot of scooters fall into this as do some very good learning bikes.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You'll have to get insurance quotes but at least a 125 and try for a 250cc -400. 50cc will drive him mad very quickly if he does any riding outside of a busy city street. Here's a rough list of what new bikes are A2 compatible, plenty of older bikes meet the criteria.
    Thanks for sharing this list.It is also informative for me .But in this list pictures are not displayed which confused me because I want a bike with stylish look.

but I'd mirror Del's thoughts above - re busier/faster road work, and insurance quotes..

Thanks Wossack for your recommendations.. Can you provide some pictures of Yamaha Aerox (50cc) and Honda Innova anf125?

Mopeds and scooters are totally different beasts, if you can call a moped a beast.
    At 20 the OPs brother can get an A2 licence which opens up a world of bikes, provided they can afford the insurance:(. A lot of scooters fall into this as do some very good learning bikes.
    What you say about push scooters? Someone gave me the idea of push scooters.

• Advertisement

What you say about push scooters? Someone gave me the idea of push scooters.

Not sure what you mean by push scooter, the only thing coming up in google are kids toys. They where a few old brands like Puch and Push( never heard of them before thanks Bikerguy) but for a 1st bike I'd recommend getting a modern one. Older bikes are an acquired taste and need loads of maintenance compared to modern ones. For 50cc bikes I wouldn't go over a few years old, as they are usually always at full throttle, for 125+ late 90s will be OK. You'll need to check any bike your thinking of buying and that means if you don't know someone with a good knowledge of bikes you may have to pay a mechanic to check it out, you don't want to end up with a couriered hack.
    Bikerguy wrote: »

Not sure what you mean by push scooter, the only thing coming up in google are kids toys. They where a few old brands like Puch and Push( never heard of them before thanks Bikerguy) but for a 1st bike I'd recommend getting a modern one. Older bikes are an acquired taste and need loads of maintenance compared to modern ones. For 50cc bikes I wouldn't go over a few years old, as they are usually always at full throttle, for 125+ late 90s will be OK. You'll need to check any bike your thinking of buying and that means if you don't know someone with a good knowledge of bikes you may have to pay a mechanic to check it out, you don't want to end up with a couriered hack.

I am sharing a picture of push scooter .Some say its a kick scooter. Yes you are right it is very difficult task to handle an old bike.

very nice - little more advanced then what I started on:

A206P_SP336_12_US0UL

but fantastic machines all the same. No pillion capacity, but sure half the thrill of them is just you and your machine, out there on the open road, ripping it up. Did the gap on it in about 5.5 hrs - not inc ciggy breaks - so no slouch either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Wossack i like the color scheme here. Whats the awerage consumption?

Btw i ment to say puch instead of push.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carefull now!

He'll be bored after a week on a 50cc. I do about 40km a day on a 125, it leaves the 50ccs for dust and keeps up with most bigger bike commuting, about 110 kph. I have it up for sale if he's interested. Here's the link, if this is not allowed please tell me and ill take it down or ask a mod to.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/scooters/4854788
    Either way he should go for bigger if the licence allows it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

he'll have to do an IBT which is a 16 hour motorcycle training course before he'll be allowed on the road on a moped.

I had two or three suzuki katana's which were 50cc and great fun. Good for getting about town.

2001_AY50R_Katana_450.jpg'

I also had a yamaha majesty which was much better for longer distances and a bike i'd highly recommend.

fond-800x600.jpg

• Advertisement

very nice - little more advanced then what I started on:

A206P_SP336_12_US0UL

but fantastic machines all the same. No pillion capacity, but sure half the thrill of them is just you and your machine, out there on the open road, ripping it up. Did the gap on it in about 5.5 hrs - not inc ciggy breaks - so no slouch either
    Wow it looks fantastic and awesome. Thanks for your sharing. But I think it is Comfortable for a single person.I also asked my brother not to buy this one.

He'll be bored after a week on a 50cc. I do about 40km a day on a 125, it leaves the 50ccs for dust and keeps up with most bigger bike commuting, about 110 kph. I have it up for sale if he's interested. Here's the link, if this is not allowed please tell me and ill take it down or ask a mod to.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/scooters/4854788
    Either way he should go for bigger if the licence allows it
    Does riding on 50cc is boring? Thanks for sharing your experience with him. I hoped it would be helpful for him for selecting a bike. When I click on the link the following error occurs.
    "You don't have permission to access /donedeal/classifieds/view.do on this server"

bluefinger wrote: »
    he'll have to do an IBT which is a 16 hour motorcycle training course before he'll be allowed on the road on a moped.

I had two or three suzuki katana's which were 50cc and great fun. Good for getting about town.

2001_AY50R_Katana_450.jpg'

I also had a yamaha majesty which was much better for longer distances and a bike i'd highly recommend.

fond-800x600.jpg
    Did you upload some more pictures of Suzuki katana's? What is their estimated price?
    Yamaha 's scooters are mostly used and having excellent guarantee? What do you say?

Does riding on 50cc is boring? Thanks for sharing your experience with him. I hoped it would be helpful for him for selecting a bike. When I click on the link the following error occurs.
    "You don't have permission to access /donedeal/classifieds/view.do on this server"

50cc its not boring at all, i dont know what all the people think that bigger means better!! in heavy traffic 50cc is actualy fun, easy for filtering and extremly cheap to run/insure. i was driving myself one, even being giant in size/weight. its not bad at all and if your bro is gonna ride only in city centre there is no need to go for bigger engine at all.

as mentioned aerox, katana... 50cc more then enough and they are very well made. they can easy go 70kmh and you dont need to go faster in town.

second hand or not, they cant go wrong. (unless they have been abused)

/haw

my bad boy back in the days

its peugeot speedfight 2 - but i wont recommend it :) it gave me a lot of troubles ;) / but fast enough to move around town - go to bray on the sunny days or howth

263532_2269823025474_6231995_n_zps4f06cf82.jpg

Thanks Bikerguy. Can he use 50cc for sport's purpose?
    Mentions some trouble which you are facing using Peugeot Speedfight 2.

I just tried the link from here and it worked so I'm not sure why you couldn't access it. Its an 09 Suzuki in the scooter section of donedeal for 995 if you wanna have a look, or pm me and we can arrange for you to see it.
    Don't get me wrong, 50cc bikes are good fun, I've had katanas, aeroxs and driven others, but there's a noticeable difference between them and the 125. The 125 has better power, fuel economy and less maintenance. The 50 can be as quick but they had to be moded, remove restrictions, change rollers, power pipe exhaust ect.... This is all fine for a quick bike but it all shortens the life of the 2 stroke engine and was mainly done by young fellas on the garden so may lead problems, cross threaded bolts ect... Plus adding the smell of burnt 2 stroke oil to your clothes every day- all 2 strokes burn oil, its how the engine works

Thanks Bikerguy. Can he use 50cc for sport's purpose?
    Mentions some trouble which you are facing using Peugeot Speedfight 2.

50cc is not for sport purpose. I dont know what u mean by that, but scoot is for moving around. Easy parking and cheap to run.
    Btw you dont need to modify aerox or katana at all to be fast.

I mentioned speedfight peugeot only becuase i had 50cc i had issues with brand and reliabilty. Overheating and electrical issues but thats related to peugeot not to 50cc in general.

I am not saying that 125cc is bad or better i am saying that for start and only for city commuting only 50cc is more then enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Yes he has a learner permit so I want to buy a bike for him.

Where are you located?
    Where does your brother live?

Is is no good if we recommend scooters that you can't view, or buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Full-18133902.jpeg

If you want to buy a scooter, buy one with character. This, for example, is a 125cc Vespa. There's lots on Donedeal.

• Advertisement

(Btw you dont need to modify aerox or katana at all to be fast.)
    Depending on your definition of fast, the bike were restricted from new to around 70kph, if you unrestricted/moded them they'd do about 90kph if wanted you could get them over 120kph. As i said, all this affects the life/ maintenance of the engine so its worth considering when your thinking of buying one.
    Most 125s will do 110kph with ease all day without any modification and without affecting the engine life.

Advertisement