Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental House Copied Keys

Options
  • 22-04-2013 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I just moved out of a rental house and gave the landlord back the keys he gave us. The thing is that I had to buy another set of keys while I was there, because there was two of us living there. I paid nearly €20 for the whole set to be copied.

So my question is, do I need to give the landlord these keys, or can I just dump them. He can have them if he wants to buy them from me, but, for me own reasons, I'm not gonna give him anything for nothing.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Youre basically asking can you retain a set of keys to a rented property after you move out. Obviously the answer is no, you must return all sets of keys which you have for the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 IrishJoker

If I have to return them, then should I not have gotten a set of keys for each person in the property in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

IrishJoker wrote: »
    I just moved out of a rental house and gave the landlord back the keys he gave us. The thing is that I had to buy another set of keys while I was there, because there was two of us living there. I paid nearly €20 for the whole set to be copied.

So my question is, do I need to give the landlord these keys, or can I just dump them. He can have them if he wants to buy them from me, but, for me own reasons, I'm not gonna give him anything for nothing.

Cheers

While you paid for this, if the house was broken into and the Gardaí found out you had keys, you might have some explainin to do, either give them to the landlord or destroy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Not necessarily. Im not aware of any obligation on a landlord to provide a key to each person in the property.

Ok - cheers for the information :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Since you copied the keys without the landlord's permission, I would just get rid of them. (Separately, with no indication of where they are from). Snapping them would be best.
    I'd imagine LL will laugh you out of there at the least if you asked him to pay for keys to his own house.

Yeah I've decided that I'm just gonna destroy them - a hammer and a vice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Some leases will have a clause re not copying the keys without permission (which I assume that you didn't have) so destroying them would be best.

Advertisement