Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase Mortgage payments or pay lump sum

Options
  • 22-04-2013 10:00am

Just a question. Would I be better increasing the monthly amount I can pay back on my mortgage over that of what is due or would I be better paying a lump sum off the mortgage. I can afford to pay a little more than the current mortgage but could save it up to pay it at once if that would work out better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

What's your current mortgage interest rate and is it fixed, variable or a tracker?

bee06 wrote: »
    What's your current mortgage interest rate and is it fixed, variable or a tracker?

Tracker mortgage .75% above the ECB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Tracker mortgage .75% above the ECB

Put it in kbc deposit account.
    Smart saver is 3.5 % interest.
    Instant access is 3%.
    Even after dirt, you come out better saving.

Scortho wrote: »
    Put it in kbc deposit account.
    Smart saver is 3.5 % interest.
    Instant access is 3%.
    Even after dirt, you come out better saving.

Cheers for that Ill look into that .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

PPR or BTL?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

gaius c wrote: »
    PPR or BTL?

At the interest rate he's on I'd guess ppr. Weren't btl's always on a higher rate?

PPR or BTL?

PPR yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Scortho wrote: »
    At the interest rate he's on I'd guess ppr. Weren't btl's always on a higher rate?
    No, some lenders went so mad that BTL rates were the same IIRC.

But in any case, he could be a "reluctant landlord" on an old PPR rate (some banks allow renting a former PPR or turn a blind eye)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Just checking.

Prob better to save the cash in a high interest account for now and decide what to do with it later.
    You can always pay down the mortgage lump sum down the line and with a bigger lump sum, you would be in a better position to do a deal with the bank on it. They would love to get you off that tracker so you are in a strong position.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

They would love to get you off that tracker so you are in a strong position.
    I hear a lot about people getting "deals" to come off trackers but I suspect most people lose out unless they intend selling up in the near future. Banks aren't (that) stupid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement