Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Florabest Petrol Lawnmower

Options
  • 22-04-2013 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi All

I am new to this thread and to Gardening in general. I recently bought a house on a site and Taking the house out of it there is a sizable lawn still to be cut

I have been using a Power Devil 3.75 HP lawn mower with a 46cm cutting width.
    I think it is now time for a change though as I believe it has had its day.

The end game would be to eventually get a ride on mower but funds currently say no.

Can i get people thoughts on ALDI/Lidl branded mowers? I came across this in my local recently and the following link is the same

http://www.lidl-ni.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-6A2EFE67-FDB794F2/lidl_ni_ie/hs.xsl/index_29022.htm

would be interesting to get people experiences with them,

it has a briggs and stratten engine, has self drive and Mulching capabilities

Is this a good spec for the price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

To be honest, that don't look too good.

Very small engine, My walk behind has a 5.5hp motor, that is very small less than 3hp.

If you have a lot of grass to cut then the width (18 inches) is probably not quite enough.

Also I find it hard to believe that they can make a decent lawnmower so cheaply.

Just my feelings,

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

monkeynuz wrote: »
    To be honest, that don't look too good.

Very small engine, My walk behind has a 5.5hp motor, that is very small less than 3hp.

If you have a lot of grass to cut then the width (18 inches) is probably not quite enough.

Also I find it hard to believe that they can make a decent lawnmower so cheaply.

Just my feelings,

M.

Thanks M,

I do take your point, My own perspective is that the mower I had (3.5hp) was powerful enough. The key is to not let the grass get too high. I would hope to Mulch during the summer when/if we ever get some dry weather.

But I guess my main question was from the spec quoted do people think its a good deal? I read somewhere else that lidl had a version of florabest chain saw that was essentially a Husquvarna engine and parts. If so then that sounds good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

We use ariens lm21 we use them commercially and update them each year we have one of last years left for sale at €400, would be no problem for what u want, buy right buy once

Hi ymurtagh,

What are the vibration figures for the lm21?

M.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Hi ymurtagh,

What are the vibration figures for the lm21?

M.

I'm not familiar with his brand, is this a commercial lawn mower with a wider cutting range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Thanks M,

I do take your point, My own perspective is that the mower I had (3.5hp) was powerful enough. The key is to not let the grass get too high. I would hope to Mulch during the summer when/if we ever get some dry weather.

But I guess my main question was from the spec quoted do people think its a good deal? I read somewhere else that lidl had a version of florabest chain saw that was essentially a Husquvarna engine and parts. If so then that sounds good

H-mowers are sold under a number of different brands. If you're interested you will also see similar mowers (different name) on sale in Homebase for a good deal more. Good mowers, not intended for commercial use.

B&S engines are well proven too.

H-mowers are sold under a number of different brands. If you're interested you will also see similar mowers (different name) on sale in Homebase for a good deal more. Good mowers, not intended for commercial use.

B&S engines are well proven too.

Thanks for your post Sonnenblumen, SO I am defiantly not looking for anything to cut from a commercial perspective, although as a previous poster said you would get a great life span out of them, I think I am open to buying a brand whereby its not badged as an Husqie or what ever, but carries the good name of said Brand. The reason I liked the Florabest lawnmower from initial post was price firstly, 2 year Guarantee and the spec seemed to be a decent spec from my perspective (Mulcher option etc).

i was hoping to et feedback from posters here on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Hi All

I am new to this thread and to Gardening in general. I recently bought a house on a site and Taking the house out of it there is a sizable lawn still to be cut

I have been using a Power Devil 3.75 HP lawn mower with a 46cm cutting width.
    I think it is now time for a change though as I believe it has had its day.

The end game would be to eventually get a ride on mower but funds currently say no.

Can i get people thoughts on ALDI/Lidl branded mowers? I came across this in my local recently and the following link is the same

http://www.lidl-ni.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-6A2EFE67-FDB794F2/lidl_ni_ie/hs.xsl/index_29022.htm

would be interesting to get people experiences with them,

it has a briggs and stratten engine, has self drive and Mulching capabilities

Is this a good spec for the price?

Couple of things, as some have said, its all about the power, get the most powerful one you can afford. Briggs and Stratten and Honda engines are the best apparently.

Remember, if you mulch, you will be mowing more as this feeds the grass and makes it grow quicker!

Self drive is a must though and a large capacity.
    Ive seen some hire shops sell them off cheaply.
    Basically you arent looking for something from B&Q\Lidl or a commercial one, but something inbetween.

Oh and an anti rust deck is a good idea.

This is something thats worth spending a bit more on - around the 400-500 euro mark as it should last a long time if looked after and servicef once a year.

Try and find a shop that does servicing and talk to them as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

the lawnmower u have been looking at in lidl is made by mcculloch in italy its the exact same just green were mcculloch one is black in colour but the lidl one is cheaper and comes with a three year guarntee

jacob2 wrote: »
    the lawnmower u have been looking at in lidl is made by mcculloch in italy its the exact same just green were mcculloch one is black in colour but the lidl one is cheaper and comes with a three year guarntee

Thanks for your message Jacob2, I have looked on the mcculloch site and I think you might be on to something, from looking at the spec of the lawnmowers it seems that this particular model "M46-140WR"http://www.mcculloch.com/uk/products/lawn-mowers/m46-140wr/ is quiet close to the Lidl specification

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

both have briggs and Stratton engines even the mulch plug is the same lidl had to turn to somebody to make the mowers they chose mcculloch

jacob2 wrote: »
    both have briggs and Stratton engines even the mulch plug is the same lidl had to turn to somebody to make the mowers they chose mcculloch

Thanks Jacob2 you seem to be in the know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Needed a new mower. Was fed up with the crap on offer for approx €200, needed to be spending €350 plus to get something decent. Looked at this thread and decided to bite the bullet. Glad I did.

Definitely made by McCulloch. Comes with a 5L petrol can which has the McCulloch sticker on it !! Quieter than any I had before. I like the hose plug in for washing, nice wide cut, height adjustment simple to use, will definitely use the mulch attachment later in the Summer.

Would recommend.

(have no affiliation to Lidl)

dfbemt wrote: »
    Needed a new mower. Was fed up with the crap on offer for approx €200, needed to be spending €350 plus to get something decent. Looked at this thread and decided to bite the bullet. Glad I did.

Definitely made by McCulloch. Comes with a 5L petrol can which has the McCulloch sticker on it !! Quieter than any I had before. I like the hose plug in for washing, nice wide cut, height adjustment simple to use, will definitely use the mulch attachment later in the Summer.

Would recommend.

(have no affiliation to Lidl)

Hi All

I took the plunge this past weekend and bought this model, I cut my lawn at the weekend and so far so good, Looking forward to using the mulching capabilities if we ever get dry weather. I too agree that the cut is good

Hopefully I wont regret buying it now, I can only assume that the 3 year warranty covers very little

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I think that was priced at 270 euro in ROI, f-ing rip off republic.

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    I think that was priced at 270 euro in ROI, f-ing rip off republic.

Where are you based? What price did you see it for

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

270 on lidl.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

£190 in Lidl up North, converts to approx €225

Yes, Rip Off Ireland is alive and well. Shame on Lidl

dfbemt wrote: »
    £190 in Lidl up North, converts to approx €225

Yes, Rip Off Ireland is alive and well. Shame on Lidl

wow, ripoff Ireland Indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fritz Mc A

Hello all,
    Could anyone advise me where I could purchase a spare part for the LIDL Florabest Lawnmower with a Briggs & Stratton 500 engine.

I apologize but I do not know the correct name of the broken part - it is a long circular bracket with a pulley which attaches the cutting blade to the engine drive.

Any advice on the correct name of the part or where to find it would be very much appreciated,
    Thank you,
    J

• Advertisement

Fritz Mc A wrote: »
    Hello all,
    Could anyone advise me where I could purchase a spare part for the LIDL Florabest Lawnmower with a Briggs & Stratton 500 engine.

I apologize but I do not know the correct name of the broken part - it is a long circular bracket with a pulley which attaches the cutting blade to the engine drive.

Any advice on the correct name of the part or where to find it would be very much appreciated,
    Thank you,
    J

Try this website http://www.einhelltools.co.uk/product-list.php?pg1-cid637.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fritz Mc A

Thank you very much Kaiserrussel.
    Looking at the website, I think I may have seen the part I am looking for.
    I appreciate the quick response and your help,
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone buy that lawnmower? is it any good

cause its on sale second time around

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Good machine. Bought Spring 2009. Always starts first pull.
    fryup wrote: »
    anyone buy that lawnmower? is it any good

cause its on sale second time around

• Registered Users Posts: 15 enoefay

Is it a self drive or an ordinary push mower ..? If its an ordinary push mower then I suppose to pay an extra few pound to get a self drive would be the better option ...

enoefay wrote: »
    Is it a self drive or an ordinary push mower ..? If its an ordinary push mower then I suppose to pay an extra few pound to get a self drive would be the better option ...

It has self drive capabilities (sorry for dragging this up)

Hi all

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I have an issue. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could get an air filter for these lawn mowers, I am trying to find somewhere on-line or a bricks and mortar shop. I know I posted a link previously to a site for spare parts, but I need to cut my lawn regardless of the weather, its getting high now!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My local lawnmower place are selling a 4.5HP Briggs engined, 46cm Viking (Stihl) push mower for €270.

Just posting for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 enoefay

I purchased it anyway and its a great mower and it is self drive as you have pointed out.

The engine is a briggs and stration so rather than look for the air filter for the mower look for the air filter based on the engine .. id imagine (although have not checked) that your local hardware store would have these or could order them in

• Advertisement

just go to your local lawnmower service guy with the model of engine he will be able to get the filter or just google the engine name

Advertisement