Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank to drop fee-free banking (from July 2013)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

unkel wrote: »
    It seems it is a charity. Did you see the Mercer report on banking remuneration? Their conclusion was that banking staff in Ireland are overpaid

Maybe the banks should look at cost cutting first, before they start thinking about raising charges / fees...

Cost cutting?? UB are probably the most advanced bank at cost cutting that operates in Ireland. 1000's of staff have been made redundant since 2008/9/12 rather than cut wages. They've streamlined how they operate on daily basis. Divisions joined together. Outsourcing of divisions etc. Removal of bonuses for all pay grades. Yes, while basic pay remains the same its certainly not risen for the vast majority of staff as had been the case for many years previous. Its near impossible to gain a pay rise. They've re designed the contracts to favour the bank and have over hauled the pension scheme again at the expense of staff. So maybe you should research before making statements.

A bank account ain't a right. You want one, you pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

I opened a few bank accounts many years ago for my nieces and nephews so i have a name on these accounts as it turns out, these accounts are all with zero balance even though i presume they are active, will there be bank charges on these even if they are doormant ???

faolteam wrote: »
    I opened a few bank accounts many years ago for my nieces and nephews so i have a name on these accounts as it turns out, these accounts are all with zero balance even though i presume they are active, will there be bank charges on these even if they are doormant ???

I don't think that account type will have the new charges applied. Its best to enquire with them as to what account type they are. If dormant they will not attract charges but you are better of sorting the accounts out before they end up being closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Next year people will be able to open accounts elsewhere in the eurozone and pay their direct debits and standing orders in Ireland. Many banks offer free online only accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You sound like Aer Lingus etc, all fine until a new business model arrives.

Give me an online only account with ads on the website for free and I'd be happy.

• Advertisement

It's a business. They have charges, like it or lump it.

I think it is a major mistake, if one of the banks had the balls not to charge they would mop up. Thousands will complain and do nothing about it.

The market needs a serious shake up and while I would welcome over seas banks the fact remains the vast majority of customers want to interact with their local branch, so the overseas option will be a minority.

An ad for I think Halifax best sums up banks, real you in with a promise of greatness only to change it afterwards. This practice is common place in many companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes, while basic pay remains the same

That was my point ;)

Pay is too high in the Irish banking sector according to Mercer...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 galway4

Hi, I got a letter from Ulster bank saying they are charging me €4 a month for using my current account, I only use it for my direct debit.

Is there any other bank you can recommend that doesn't have these charges (or has the lowest charges?) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

All the banks have some form of charges now (Ulster was the last hold out). A popular choice would appear to the ptsb's new current account offering, which has a lower threshold for avoiding fees. More info here

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

That was my point ;)

Not really how this works though.
    The folk at the top get paid loads, while most staff are on fair pay, maybe a bit low if you account for the amount of crap we all give people in the banks these days.

If you average out the pay across all sections in the banks it looks like the people on the ground are getting paid huge amounts because the directors pay brings up the average by a decent amount.

A bank clerk used to earn an okay amount when you took in annual increases, perks and packages. These days if you take all those extras away (which is what their employers did in most cases) it's not great but people still have the misguided view that the nice lass handing you your Sterling over the foreign exchange counter is earning 50k a year or something which is just not the case.

• Advertisement

That was my point ;)

Its a simple way to look at it, as we all know this "pay is too high" argument is being giving in all sections of work life from Garda to nurse etc.

The fact the business is one of the most active cost cutting ones out there means those lucky to be left can have a decent basic wage. Nothing wrong with that and certainly something the above professions would love to have.

The big wig's get paid many multiples of front line staff and without reading that report I can not say if this is how the averaging impacts the report.

I'll say no more on it unless someone wishes to start a new tread cause this is going off topic.

galway4 wrote: »
    Hi, I got a letter from Ulster bank saying they are charging me €4 a month for using my current account, I only use it for my direct debit.

Is there any other bank you can recommend that doesn't have these charges (or has the lowest charges?) thanks
    BoI might be an option for you with their 28c per transaction account. Not free but if you only have one or two transactions per month a better option maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

murphaph wrote: »
    Next year people will be able to open accounts elsewhere in the eurozone and pay their direct debits and standing orders in Ireland. Many banks offer free online only accounts.

Now that I cant wait for. Same should happen with insurance.

That was my point ;)

Everyone thinks everyones elses pay is too much though.
    People also assume everyone elses job is easier than their own job too.
    Funny, very few people think themselves are overpaid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    Everyone thinks everyones elses pay is too much though.

Do I have to mention the Mercer report for the third time in this thread?

Do I have to mention the Mercer report for the third time in this thread?

You make it sound like that report actually means something.
    You can get a report for anything you want. I wouldnt hold too much faith in one report, but by all means mention it as many times as you like.

If that was a report that said property prices are going up, done by mercer on behalf or estate agents you would be crying "vested interest".

Read who commissioned it. Its in big writing on the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭iHateManCity

what happens if you have no money in your current account? will you still be charged?
    I use mine once or twice a year so the €4 charge is a big no no

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes, you will be.

what happens if you have no money in your current account? will you still be charged?
    I use mine once or twice a year so the €4 charge is a big no no
    Close it and move to BoI and pay 28c per transaction.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

galway4 wrote: »
    I only use it for my direct debit.

Maybe change it to a savings account? That is just a hole-in-the-wall card, and can have standing orders and direct debits on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

If I got 3000+ a month to my account I wouldn't care about paying 4 euro, since I only get around 1500 I do.

I was with ulster bank mostly because of visa debit card, but also have AIB graduate account (for 2 years) so requested Visa debit replacement of laser and will close my Ulster. I don't think they are going to miss my current account, but they sure will my saving account.

It's funny how a bank can go from best on the market to worst in such a short period.

Advertisement