Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health promotion employment

Options
  • 22-04-2013 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi

I'm on the home stretch of finishing my BSc in Public Health and Health Promotion. Just wondering if anybody has done a similar course and has obtained employment in the field? I was hoping at this stage that I would know what area I'd like to work in but I'm still unsure. I have an interest in physical activity/nutrition/working with schools (all quite broad I know) but finding it so hard to pin down exactly what I want.

What I do know is that I'm not overly enthusiastic about going into research, it never appealed to me throughout my degree. Regarding further study, I know its probably the best way but I've been in college for 6 years (dropped out of another course so I don't know am I cut out for more time in the library after my exams!)

I would be willing to seek work in other countries such as UK, Canada or Australia if it came to it as they seem to be a bit more advanced in their recognition of how important this area of health is but ideally remain in Ireland if possible. I've spoken to my careers office but I'm not much better off!

Would love to hear how other people have got on or if anybody knows employment prospects. Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Some of the Irish charities have some staff in this area, certainly the Irish Heart Foundation and the Irish Cancer Society do, for example.

They will only recruit occasionally though, and a Masters and work experience would probably be needed.

You could approach them to do an internship possibly. They may also have some voluntary work programs which would help get a jump start on the CV.

Generally I'd suggest looking at Masters programs in a specific area, that would really help. I can't speak for the other countries you mention.

Advertisement