Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB Speed

• 22-04-2013 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

noticed family member's BB was v. slow, so checked on the Eircom DSL modem, and saw 160kbps. As a test I swapped the modem out for a standby I had, a DLINK DSL-504 and it gave exactly the same speed. Screen shots below for both the 160kbps location, and the same modem plugged in another location nearby.

Not sure what the difference in the noise figure, Aten and mode would mean. Does this look like it could be a wiring problem between the splitter and incoming line ?

250467.jpg

250468.jpg

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

did you test the modem directly to the socket with no filters, phones or sky boxes connected? the noise margin does look very low and not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

allen175 wrote: »
    did you test the modem directly to the socket with no filters, phones or sky boxes connected? the noise margin does look very low and not good.

didn't try that yet.. will give it a go. Thanks,

just a filter splitter off the incoming line. There is a phone and answering machine after that which I'll disconnect

what sort of SNR figure should I be looking for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

it really depends on what the speed profile is set to, if it is actually set to 160kb then the niose margin should be higher than 20db, but then again it all depends on the distance to the exchange.

Advertisement