Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rhubarb

• 22-04-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

my 3 year old rhubarb started coming back up in the last 2 weeks or so but it's bolted or flowering already

what's this ?? am I not to have rhubarb this year or the plants are tool old and should be dug

any advice
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

there is something wrong as usually its fine up to 5-10 years where you may have to dig up the crowns and divide them.

Can you make a picture please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Just snap the flowering head off and continue as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

That's weird, I noticed yesterday that one of mine bolted too. I have another 3 so should be ok for crumble and wine :)
    I read up on it this morning and there is a host of reasons why it might happen. Bottom line, cut out the flowering stems as early as you see them and harvest the good stuff. Just like sirspycho says. I wonder has it anything to do with the late spring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Could be the conditions this year. Are these the first shoots now? I'm on the third growth of my rhubarb this year so far, but I have it in a very sheltered spot in the south of the country. First shoots were coming up through the snow earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,459 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

One of mine did the same, apparently its a sign of a stressed plant. Cut it out to the base , water, fertilize well and generally keep an eye on this year. In the winter i will divide it up I think, possibly the severe spring that never was is stressing out the plants??

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement