Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accusing a poster of being the person they are defending! Should it result in a ban?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This is a pet peeve of mine, posters accusing other poster's of being the person/celebrity they are defending! Should it result in a ban? It is the most useless, stupid argument or way of making a point I have ever witnessed on here. It is most prevalent in the Radio forum. I don't know how many suggestions of various DJ's posting under a pseudonym with no evidence at all. It's head wrecking and the radio forum mods should discuss whether or not it should be added to the charter as a ban-able offence?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055091114&page=324

See post 4853 in this thread to see what I mean? I think this type of post should be ban-able site wide...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

They already got an infraction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Maybe that poster was a fan of ray?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Those type of interjections are often meant to be humourous, rather than serious. Yes, they are ultimately unfunny but harmless enough and certainly not warranting a ban for a first offense.

Repeated (unfounded) accusations or a failure to heed a warning might be a different story, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

"Do you work for that organisation you're defending by any chance?" That's an original one! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

It's just very tiresome, the yellow cards are little more than a slap on the wrist. It's very hard to speak up for anyone on the radio forum as you will be accused of being the person you are defending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi,

This is a pet peeve of mine, posters accusing other poster's of being the person/celebrity they are defending! Should it result in a ban?

According to the charter, it should.
    Both pro- and anti- show opinions are equally welcome. Therefore, anyone who greets a post praising [Presenter X] with "Hi [Presenter X]" gets a one day ban - no exceptions.

disclaimer: I wrote that part of the charter.

Personally, I think a ban should be given to repeat offenders only. Infraction should be sufficient, but it is a pain in the hole.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Madam_X wrote: »
    "Do you work for that organisation you're defending by any chance?" That's an original one! :pac:

and its annoying one,
    Had it happen on the Broadband forum few years back, people started claiming boards.ie and myself were working with Three Mobile to protect them
    :rolleyes:

In the end an admin told people they'd be banned if they stated such nonsense again....that sorted it out :pac:

Advertisement