Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing a Kindle

• 22-04-2013 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭

My Dad's kindle has a distortion on the bottom half of the screen. It's about 16 months old, so is outside the 1 year warranty window. Resetting it didn't help.

I've heard tales of people calling Amazon and being offered discount replacement kindles. Has anyone gone through this process? If so, how long does the process take and how much was the discounted kindle?

He is going on holidays in 3 weeks and was hoping to take it with him.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Mr E wrote: »
    My Dad's kindle has a distortion on the bottom half of the screen. It's about 16 months old, so is outside the 1 year warranty window. Resetting it didn't help.

I've heard tales of people calling Amazon and being offered discount replacement kindles. Has anyone gone through this process? If so, how long does the process take and how much was the discounted kindle?

He is going on holidays in 3 weeks and was hoping to take it with him.

Thanks in advance...

I had a replacement kindle in three days (they must ship from the uk) - in my case though it was under warranty and a known problem - it would be worth going on the site and doing the option where they call you back - they have really excellent customer service - I have a suspicion that if yur a good/regular customer it helps yur case - but that's only a hunch !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks Richard. Meeting Dad tomorrow and I'll get the Kindle off him. It's registered on Amazon.com, but let's see if I can wrangle a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

My Missus did something to her's at the weekend and the screen is busted - I bought it for her at christmas. She rang Amazon on Sunday and her new free replacement Kindle arrived today!

Both under warranty. It will be interesting to see what kind of deal I can get (about 5 months out of warranty).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Both under warranty. It will be interesting to see what kind of deal I can get (about 5 months out of warranty).

I would definitely try them, they have fantastic customer service, they replaced mine last year as a black mark appeared in the screen, don't know how it happened but I think something or someone must have leaned really hard on it. In fairness most companies won't replace damaged items for being dropped etc. so amazon are great like that.

They just want you continue buying books, so they replace them like its nothing. I would not be surpised at all if they offered you sone kind of resolution. I have used the chat feature on their site a number of times and I find it great. You will have to send the old kindle back or else you will be charged, they will email you a shipping label and all so you can send it back for free.

• Advertisement

I just wanted to follow up on this (in case anyone else has to go through the same process).

My Dad's kindle was registered on Amazon.com, so the first thing they asked me to do was switch it over to the .co.uk site (simple as clicking a link on my kindle management screen on Amazon.com).

Then I called customer support in the UK and went through the troubleshooting process (hard reset, factory reset). They said it was faulty and offered a replacement at a discount (since it was out of warranty). They gave me a number of discounted options:

Kindle Touch Wi-Fi for £67.99 plus the cost of delivery of the replacement.
    Kindle 6" Graphite for £47.20 plus the cost of delivery of the replacement.
    Kindle Paperwhite for £75.20 plus the cost of delivery of the replacement.
    Kindle Paperwhite 3G for £119.20 plus the cost of delivery of the replacement.
    Kindle Fire 7" for £107.20 plus the cost of delivery of the replacement.

I went for the same model as the broken one (6" Graphite).

When she tried to put the replacement through, it wouldn't allow them to ship a replacement to Ireland (due to a limitation in their software). She said she would apply a coupon to his account, and that was done within half an hour. The coupon was for about £23 against the price of a new kindle, so I added a new kindle to the basket, the £23 discount was applied automatically and a brand new kindle is now on its way to me at the cost of the refurbished model.

Completely painless process, and outstanding customer service from Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

I just wanted to follow up on this (in case anyone else has to go through the same process).

My Dad's kindle was registered on Amazon.com, so the first thing they asked me to do was switch it over to the .co.uk site (simple as clicking a link on my kindle management screen on Amazon.com).

Then I called customer support in the UK and went through the troubleshooting process (hard reset, factory reset). They said it was faulty and offered a replacement at a discount (since it was out of warranty). They gave me a number of discounted options:

Kindle Touch Wi-Fi for £67.99 plus the cost of delivery of the replacement.
    Kindle 6" Graphite for £47.20 plus the cost of delivery of the replacement.
    Kindle Paperwhite for £75.20 plus the cost of delivery of the replacement.
    Kindle Paperwhite 3G for £119.20 plus the cost of delivery of the replacement.
    Kindle Fire 7" for £107.20 plus the cost of delivery of the replacement.

I went for the same model as the broken one (6" Graphite).

When she tried to put the replacement through, it wouldn't allow them to ship a replacement to Ireland (due to a limitation in their software). She said she would apply a coupon to his account, and that was done within half an hour. The coupon was for about £23 against the price of a new kindle, so I added a new kindle to the basket, the £23 discount was applied automatically and a brand new kindle is now on its way to me at the cost of the refurbished model.

Completely painless process, and outstanding customer service from Amazon.

Just been on to Kindle support about my kindle that broke over weekend and they offered me replacement but like above could not put through order for replacement as in Ireland. no offer to put coupon on account or anything.. in then end they told me to just go and buy a new one!

Advertisement