Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your highlights of this generation (so far)

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The rise of the Indie game has been a huge highlight for me this generation. So many opened paths, new ideas, fresh developers getting rewarded for their fantastic work. It's a great time to be a gamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Jericho. wrote: »
    Edit - Special mention also for Sonic Generations which was the best Sonic game for quite some time.

That and Sonic All Star Racing Transformed game me some hope for Sega's mascot:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

dammit can't believe I forgot Super Meat Boy, pixel perfect gaming. Crushingly difficult but never through poor design,and the soundtrack rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Vyse wrote: »
    Lots of people showing love for Red Dead Redemption. Must admit that I didn't like it at all. Played it to completion and didn't find the story engaging at all.

thats a bit of an oxymoron surely! - I hated it but had to finish it!

I kinda of agree actually, it hasnt grabbed me yet so not spent many hours with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The open world RPG's are the big stand outs for me thing generation. Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas both held my attention for months and both had me wanting more when they were done.

Probably not a popular opinion on this forum but I think the Call of Duty series was another big highlight. Ignoring the horrible community, the online games offer a great short, sharp and addictive almost arcade-like blast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

sweetie wrote: »
    thats a bit of an oxymoron surely! - I hated it but had to finish it!

Didn't hate it, just didn't think it was deserving of the priase it has received. Played through hoping that the story would pick up. It didn't. Gameplay wise it was okay, just nothing special. In saying that there is very few games that I start which I don't finish. I like to keep my list of unfinished games at a minimum:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

QWOP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Vyse wrote: »
    Didn't hate it, just didn't think it was deserving of the priase it has received. Played through hoping that the story would pick up. It didn't. Gameplay wise it was okay, just nothing special. In saying that there is very few games that I start which I don't finish. I like to keep my list of unfinished games at a minimum:pac:

you have no heart :pac: i wont say anymore for the sake of ruining the game for people who havnt completed it yet :P haha

i really enjoyed it to be honest
    zombie expansion (if thats what you call it) was repetitive but was great :P worth the money for it surely :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

surprised no one has mentioned Battlefield 3 yet, the SP was alright but it really shines in the MP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just curious about the title of the thread? Where are people drawing the line in terms of this generation? Are we going by consoles? Because technically with the wiiu we are already in the next generation.
    And considering almost all console games are available on PC now and in many cases better versions of these games so categorising all games by console generation is slightly bizarre, especially considering many of the games mentioned here, indie games and mods specifically, are only available on PC which doesnt go by console generations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Odd choice this but Cut The Rope, brilliant little game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

VinLieger wrote: »
    Just curious about the title of the thread? Where are people drawing the line in terms of this generation? Are we going by consoles? Because technically with the wiiu we are already in the next generation.
    And considering almost all console games are available on PC now and in many cases better versions of these games so categorising all games by console generation is slightly bizarre, especially considering many of the games mentioned here, indie games and mods specifically, are only available on PC which doesnt go by console generations.

well, if we'll be straight forward about it, maybe any game that saw general release since the launch of the PS3 or 360 (or Wii), or their handheld equivalents, regardless of platform? (obviously re-releases wouldn't count)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

VinLieger wrote: »

we got a pc fanboy over here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Oh yeah. Call of duty was a big one, hasn't been one I haven't enjoyed, got me into the idea of online gaming. And red dead redemption too, fantastic. Been a good gen .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Euro Truck Simulator,

exciting Sh*t indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Bioshock
    Bioshock Infinite
    GTA IV
    Red Dead Redemption
    Portal 1/2
    Skyrim
    Batman Arkham City/Asylum
    Dead Space
    Mass Effect 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

For me, the current generation is 2006 up until today really. I think some of the best games are in this generation, a reflection of the huge budgets, but overall the number of unique games is less and its clear publishers are getting more adverse to risking new and interesting things

Theres plenty of great picks on the thread already, mine would be

Mass effect trilogy: They were billed as cinematic space RPG's and they pretty much fit the bill, each game was awesome, the only fly in the ointment was the ending of 3.

Prince of Persia: The reboot of the reboot wasn't too popular, but I really liked the cool art style and the whole buddy system you had with the female character.

Left for dead 1&2: I had many hours of fun with friends in these two, the teamwork element was really well done

Oblivion & Skyrim: I loved both of these, I think oblivion more as it was my first elder scrolls game, but Skyrim really trumped it for content to be fair. Every cave was samey in Oblivion, but in skyrim almost everything was unique. The world is amazing, although I do wish the combat was more entertaining.

Dues Ex Human Revolution: They did a good job of capturing some of that dues ex atmosphere, but at the same time made its own game, I think its being appreciated more now.

Assassins Creed 2 & brotherhood: The atmosphere and recreation of the citys is brilliant, it was really engrossing. The combat is fun too, but the overarching story has never really made sense.

FF XIII & XIII-2: Probably won't have too many agreeing with me, but I love these two, mainly for the art style, awesome graphics, and the game play is actually pretty enjoyable once you get the hang of it (and once XIII finally takes off the training wheels 20 hours in).

From Dust: Gets a special mention because it reminded me of the once popular god games I used to love.

Finally, I'm going to sneak in WOW, even though its debatable if its in this generation, but most of my fun was had a few years after it came out, the world was genuinely awesome the first time I played it, and once again playing with friends was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Walking Dead - Masterpiece by Telltale

Batman Arkham Asylum & City - Just perfection!

Assassins Creed 2 - AC 3, Y U NO LIKE AC 2!!!!!

Left 4 Dead - The best multiplayer game I have ever played.

Mass Effect series - Had it's faults but an absolute joy to play through.

Far Cry 3 - Where the hell did that come out of!

Fifa 13 - I don't even follow soccer but that game is brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Journey

By far the greatest inspiring beautiful game of this gen !

The visuals were amazing, jaw dropping stuff !

I played this at Christmas, didn't put it down when I first started, a short game, max 2 hours but I was glued to the screen.

I watched my nephew who is 7 play through it, helped him along slightly but he finished it all and was loving it.

I watched my friend play it after I was raving about it for a few weeks.

Spoiler :
    He played through the whole thing without realising the other characters weren't AI, I was laughing because he wasn't waiting for them or helping them along, selfish mofo.
    I told him after he finished it and he was blown away.

Can't wait for ThatGameCompany's next title, tough one to follow.

Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ceiteach

This list might be a little biased towards more recent releases, it's hard to remember games as far back as 2006 :/

Left 4 Dead

Arkham City

The Walking Dead

Resident Evil Revelations

Assassins Creed Brotherhood

Civilisation IV

Prince of Persia

Minecraft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ceiteach wrote: »
    This list might be a little biased towards more recent releases, it's hard to remember games as far back as 2006 :/

True, the new consoles have been making some really compelling games lately :) the PS plus is killing me though, can't keep up with 4 free games a month, apparently 6 in June, bigger hard drive needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Demons/Dark Souls - best game of the generation by a long margin

Valkyria Chronicles - a real breath of fresh air for strategy games

Little Big Planet - the toolset that came with the "Create" mode really pushed the envelope for user generated content on a console

The World ends with You - successfully made use of the DS touch screen to offer a unique experience

Radiant Historia - Great RPG that really tries something a bit different

SMT: Devil survivor - Another great DS RPG with a fantastic strategy/combat element

XCOM - showed how to update a classic and brought strategy games back into the limelight

Advertisement