Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time renter?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I am going to be moving out of home in the next couple of weeks (currently looking for a place) and would like to know what exactly do I need? Obviously I know I need the money for a months rent and a deposit which is fine, and I know generally references are required. I've been working full time since I'm 16 so getting references shouldn't be a problem.

Is there anything else I should have/know about as I've heard some disaster stories with 1st time renters and don't want to be one of them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Go onto Citizens Information and read up on your rights as a tenant, as well as the rights and obligations of the landlord. Read your lease thoroughly before you sign it and if there is anything at all in there that you are unhappy with question it (on here if necessary; plenty of posters will give you advice). Dont enter into the world of renting without having some idea of where you stand legally as a tenant; this is the single best way of ensuring you dont end up in a bad position.

Before you sign your lease go through the property fully and make a note of every issue/problem that you can find, put them all in writing and bring them to the attention of the landlord. Take as many pictures as you can also. Get the landlord to sign the list of issues, and if anything requires attention make sure that the issue is resolved before you sign the lease. A lot of landlords will promise to fix issues, and once you sign the lease youll end up chasing them for months. Do not sign the lease until you are happy with the condition of the property.

In terms of what else you need, it really depends on where you rent. You may need a couple of hundred quid deposit in order to sign the electric bill into your name. You will also have to pay a TV license (€160).

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

That's great djimi thanks. Just been on to the citizens information website there and found everything I needed to know. Will make sure to take your advice and take notes of anything I can see that's wrong etc.

Wasn't aware of the electric bill side of things, does that depend on the landlord or is that needed in pretty much everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Iano_128 wrote: »
    Wasn't aware of the electric bill side of things, does that depend on the landlord or is that needed in pretty much everywhere?

It depends on the provider I think. I didnt have to pay it when I signed up to ESB the first time about 4 years ago, but I was looking at moving provider recently and most seem to look for €200 deposit, or €300 if you are not paying by direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

djimi wrote: »
    It depends on the provider I think. I didnt have to pay it when I signed up to ESB the first time about 4 years ago, but I was looking at moving provider recently and most seem to look for €200 deposit, or €300 if you are not paying by direct debit.

On a side note electric ireland wont require a deposit for supply if u pay by direct debit

Advertisement