Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xFire or Raptr?

• 22-04-2013 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

I have both, but which is better? Hard for me to keep on top of both.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I have both, I generally would have them running in the background but that's about it really. What do you mean by keeping on top of both?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I use Raptr purely for the game tracking and the Rewards (which is sometimes cool). I did like Xfire back in the day but I don't know anyone that is using it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Angron wrote: »
    What do you mean by keeping on top of both?

Well with Raptr, I can attach multiple accounts from various services (Xbox Live, PSN, Steam etc) but when I play a game offline (without broadband), I'd go to Raptr when I get the chance and add in the hours I played (on whatever the game) manually, using the Game-tracking feature. I like little things like that.

With xFire I don't have the option, and it focuses on PC games. But that gives you the option to take screenshots and record the gameplay unlike Raptr. And if I play a game somewhere else or without broadband, then the hours I played the game, I can't put in manually to xFire the next time I login. It's confusing having to press the shortcuts to one or the other as-well. (ctrl+tab to open one or the other).

Then in the end I'm looking at my hours played for Dawn of War on xFire is under 5 hours whereas on Raptr it's about 7 hours because I was able to manually input the correct time played into it.

Am I making sense? :confused:
    I use Raptr purely for the game tracking and the Rewards (which is sometimes cool).

I like the rewards system on Raptr myself. I got a World of Warcraft t-shirt for my Xbox avatar, something rare enough I never thought I'd see on it. Fair cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Just wondering, as I never used either before, are there any real benefits from using these programs bar achievement tracking?From what I've read , it seems that they're kind of pointless if you use steam and don't have consoles.I'm probably wrong but could some explain why they'd use either of them?

Meatwad wrote: »
    Just wondering, as I never used either before, are there any real benefits from using these programs bar achievement tracking?From what I've read , it seems that they're kind of pointless if you use steam and don't have consoles.I'm probably wrong but could some explain why they'd use either of them?

Raptr tracks consoles and Steam (where as Xfire only tracks PC Games) You need the PC Desktop software open to track PS3 stuff though (Dunno why), but it's quite a good service.

But overall, it's a show-off tool to show how much of your life that you have wasted on Video Games.

(I have wasted a lot of hours T_T)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Originally, xFire was an Instant Messenger that sync'd with games, to tell your mates what you were playing, also as a way to setup multiplayer games. Haven't used it since 2006/7-ish myself. Everything became polluted with I.M as a feature it's become kind of pointless since, for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭rgfuller

xFire is handy for one-to-one and group voice chat, quality is good and lag is low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Didn't know anyone used xfire anymore! I remember thats what we used before steam friends was around, was the easiest way to join servers with your mates.

Burgo wrote: »
    Didn't know anyone used xfire anymore! I remember thats what we used before steam friends was around, was the easiest way to join servers with your mates.

You could say that it is the "Gamers MySpace" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

You could, but you definitely shouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Razer have a new VOIP/IM thingamajig coming soon too. Early word on the street is that it's pretty darned good, but I've no idea if it does anything other than chat.

Edit: Beta available here.

Advertisement