Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this absenteeism?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Heya,

I have a question regarding absenteeism. I live about 50km from work and have been having a bit of a trouble with my car in the 2 years that I have been with my company.

Now I always let them know right away and try to sort out everything asap. I'm also looking for a place closer to work to avoid these kind of issues.

However, it has resulted in me having to take some sudden vacation days here and there. As I work in CS with computers (no phone support) I offered more than once to do my share of work from home but was advices to rather take vacation.

My company is very accommodation but I'm afraid it might be held against me at some point...

So would this be considered absenteeism? I have no problem to produce sufficient proof that I did not just take the days off because but it still worries me.

Cheers for any reply!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

By definition if they allow you to take it as holiday it's not abseentism; not showing up, handing in sick certs etc. would be abseentism. The only real way it can be held against you is more informal; i.e. not promoted because they are not sure if you'll come in or not etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

How many days in the past two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ceida

Thanks for the replies!

I'd say about 4. I really am looking for something closer by but hab´ven't found anything that suits yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

4 days in the past 2 years? Really can't see any employer having any sort of problem with that to be honest, especially if you're in on time and doing your job properly every other day.

Iano_128 wrote: »
    4 days in the past 2 years? Really can't see any employer having any sort of problem with that to be honest, especially if you're in on time and doing your job properly every other day.

I agree, 4 days in 2 years is grand, assuming this is your only potential HR issue.

• Advertisement

I did have some sick time last year as well (about 7 days) but well within the allowed limit and all certified.

Seeing that I was promoted in July as well and got a raise at the end of the year I do hope all is fine.

I'm probably just worrying too much but I love my company and work and don't want to get into trouble...

Why are you worrying about this?

Did HR say something about it?

Oh no, no one did. I just tend to think too much I guess and hate causing troubles for others seeing as for example today I would have been the only one in the office to work on what I do. Did do the basics from home anyway though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I think the 4 days are ok, but you really do need to get a more reliable car as it's causing you anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ceida wrote: »
    Heya,

I have a question regarding absenteeism. I live about 50km from work and have been having a bit of a trouble with my car in the 2 years that I have been with my company.

Now I always let them know right away and try to sort out everything asap. I'm also looking for a place closer to work to avoid these kind of issues.

However, it has resulted in me having to take some sudden vacation days here and there. As I work in CS with computers (no phone support) I offered more than once to do my share of work from home but was advices to rather take vacation.

My company is very accommodation but I'm afraid it might be held against me at some point...

So would this be considered absenteeism? I have no problem to produce sufficient proof that I did not just take the days off because but it still worries me.

Cheers for any reply!

I live 128KM from work and have similar problems to you.

Don't worry about it, its a fairly common thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement