Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum post count for AH?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

Just a though about this and if people think it should be implemented? AH seems to attract a lot of spammers and new signups just so they can jump in on heavy discussions. It might cut out a lot of crap.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The widerange of AH and its volume, means it attracts large numbers of new posters. And in turn they won't understand why they can't post, won't take the time to read the charter explaining it, and then they'll either spam for the limit or start redundant threads in Helpdesk, or simply not start posting at all. The cons outweigh the pros I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd be in favour of a "read only 24 hours" once signed up. It would kill spammers and most spanners.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd be in favour of a "read only 24 hours" once signed up. It would kill spammers and most spanners.

It would stop people signing up to rush in or post something rashly, Fark.com operates that kind of system. But trolls will wait, and I've seen some spambots wait up to three years before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'd see this kind of system as being similar to DRM on computer games - Those it's designed to thwart will see it as a challenge to be overcome, those it's designed to protect will see it as a pain in the teeth that puts them off

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gun shop guy: "There is a 5 day waiting period".

Homer: "5 Days?! But I'm mad now!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

A minimum brain cell count might be a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

What's the point?
    It was proposed that you have a ten limit post count or something before being allowed to make a topic to prevent spammers.
    All it'll mean is that it'll annoy people that it's not supposed to.
    I get that AH does get a troll or two sometimes with a new account but come on, it's not that hard to see "registered April 2013" and then realize it's a troll. Just report it and it'll get dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Make it that anyone outside Ireland and the U.K. has to have x number of posts before being allowed start a thread. I predict a 99% drop in spam. I take payments in gold only.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ken wrote: »
    Make it that anyone outside Ireland and the U.K. has to have x number of posts before being allowed start a thread. I predict a 99% drop in spam. I take payments in gold only.

We'd still get battered by Irish shills. >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

We'd still get battered by Irish shills. >_<
    True.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

We get a huge amount of lurkers and unregged posters and new posters....
    That and we do respond quite quickly to spammers in any case. Posters are very quick to tell us about spam with the report post function.

If not the AH mods, the C-mods get it. If not the c-mods, then the admins. There are many pairs of eyes to keep AH clear of spam.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Given the amount of traffic in it, AH is remarkably light on spam. There are other much quieter forums that get hit with a lot more. And as dr. b said, there are always people around ready to deal with it so it never lasts long. Trolls are a different matter entirely, and if they really want to troll requiring them to have a minimum postcount before posting in AH (which I'm not entirely sure is technically possible btw, but Danny and co could confirm that) isn't really going to deter them.

Advertisement