Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TTC and exercise

Options
  • 22-04-2013 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Hi,

ttc at the moment.

I was quite overweight and have lost 3 stone over the last 18 months.

I am now about a stone overweight.

I just wonder if there is any issue with continuing to exercise while ttc?

I would usually go to the gym a few days a week and do between a half an hour and an hour on a cross trainer.

Occasionally, but not often, I would run on the treadmill or have a swim.

In terms of tcc history, we started trying in Oct. I got pregnant in Oct. Miscarried in Nov and started trying again in Jan so it hasn't been long. I suppose I just want to make sure that my exercising isn't an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I have pcos and an underactive thyoid, like you between my wedding the year before etc I had lost about 2 stone. 6 weeks before I got pregnant I had begun training for a half marathon, my diet was altered a good bit too though but in that 6 weeks I lost the last of the weight I needed to. Definitely did me no harm, I was doing about 10KM 5 days a week and got a big shock when I got my bfp. I also think the exercise took my mind off ttc completely which people say is a big help!

Double check with your gp maybe but I definitely think it helped us. With my conditions though I firmly believe exercise and diet are the key and the work I put in exercising etc has stood to me during my pregnancy weight wise.

Edit: sorry to hear about your losses, hope all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I wouldn't see exercise being an issue. I exercise 6 days a week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Hi,

I had 2 miscarriages and then lost 3 stone also through excercise. Lost the weight last year (July - October). Am now 22 weeks pregnant... and all going really well.

I lost the weight through doing weights watching what I ate and continued doing so while trying to conceive and am still doing weights now I'm pregnant. I'm just careful about the type of weights I do.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Dinkie wrote: »
    Hi,

I had 2 miscarriages and then lost 3 stone also through excercise. Lost the weight last year (July - October). Am now 22 weeks pregnant... and all going really well.

I lost the weight through doing weights watching what I ate and continued doing so while trying to conceive and am still doing weights now I'm pregnant. I'm just careful about the type of weights I do.

Good luck.

Thanks.

My gut feeling was that it would be fine if I was sensible about it but I didn't want to not ask and then have someone tell me in 12 months that I shouldn't be hitting the gym a lot while ttc!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

I exercised while ttc and up until I was 20 weeks pregnant, mainly circuits, weights and walking. I only stopped because of spd which is brought on by pregnancy hormones. Gp and gyne told me that it is fine to continue with whatever form of exercise your body is used to while ttc and in the first trimester in pregnancy. After that speak again to your gp and listen to your own body

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

I'm ttc also, 4 years now, starting exercising lately and have altered my diet, can't see why it would do any harm, I'm hoping it will impact positively!

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Anyone experience bleeding after exercise, mid cycle? I never had it while on pill but since off it, have had this issue. Does it mean anything negative for ovulation?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    Anyone experience bleeding after exercise, mid cycle? I never had it while on pill but since off it, have had this issue. Does it mean anything negative for ovulation?

I cant say I have ever heard of this. Can you tell us what type of exercising you are doing ie running cycling etc and for how long? It could be that the exercising could be too strenuos? Just a thought!

I have never experienced any bleeding, I do alot of running, some times mid-cycle I get terrible pains very low down, they would absolutely cripple me, but no bleeding, do you have pain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

IUI is €720 in Merrion plus whatever tests and appointments you need to lead up to it. We got most of what we spent on tests back through our health insurance.

My health insurance is useless to me as I only have it 2 years and I'm ttc for 4 years now, it's such a disaster. Wish these things were cheaper to have carried out, there should be more help for people. I'm waiting on an appointment for another dye test, dr wants to have it repeated, worst is I have to travel 2hours each time to get the tests done and for appointments, using all my holiday time from work for hospital visits.

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    I cant say I have ever heard of this. Can you tell us what type of exercising you are doing ie running cycling etc and for how long? It could be that the exercising could be too strenuos? Just a thought!

I was cycling for about an hour each time that the bleeding occurred. It was quite scary at the time & I didn't know why. Turns out now that I was pregnant at the time & doctors still don't know what caused the bleeding. I'm 14 weeks now & baby is healthy so luckily the bleeding didn't have any negative effects!
    But since I got the positive result I haven't cycled since, just in case. I might try again in a few weeks but just a bit wary for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

You can exercise safely,get on youtube and plenty of easy videos to follow.
    I would not push it but def exercise to keep the weight in check and for your health.

Advertisement