Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor games and teaching tips.

• 22-04-2013 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm off work with a bad back and now that i'm stuck on the coach with a very bored Rottie trying to sit on my head I thought it might be a good time to try some training.

So far he knows what a ball is and I can get him to go around the chair beside me.

Any games I can play to occupy him that don't require much more than talking to him or picking up his toys etc, I have an easi reacher thingy I use to pick up his toys, any advice on how I could get him to pick that up when I drop it. That would be really helpful if he could as I can't bend.

He knows what his ball is, but I think I just accidently thought him that, I'm not sure how I did it.

He's 18months old and very bored right now, so anything I can do to while preventing the mass destruction of my sitting room would be great, he's a big fella.

Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I have a superactive puppy so I was always looking for training, tricks or exercises.

What I do actually is the normal, sit, down, stay, give paw, high five.

Then there is another command that seems could be useful for many tricks.. touch. He has to touch with the nose your hand, and you give him a treat (if you want you can find online or I can post some links).

These days he is at home and should be quiet after neutering. One new thing we are doing is I show him a treat and ask for sit and stay. I "hide" a treat (actually he can see where) and I tell him after to find it.
    We are trying to do always a bit more difficult, but if he doesn't see me actually he doesn't stay..

This is what I am doing, but there are a looooot of things.
    I bought a book :P if you want I can post here some page..

sorry I didn't get that you cannot move from the couch..
    so I tried also to teach him to put back the toys in a box..
    if you put the box next to you? when he brings back the toys make that he leaves in the box and give a treat and so on
    (we are not able, that's the theory)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

Briallant^^

I'm going to get him to put his toys into the box, that's a good one.

And I realised if I just keep repeating the word grabber, he'll eventually know it's the reacher(the thing I use to pick stuff off the floor) and get him to give it to me.

Now, if I could only get him to put on the kettle as well..

Ehehe, you can try to teach him..
    Other things that I do (always with treats... maybe choosing carefully to not overfeed him) is teaching - Leave it - taking the treat in one hand he cannot touch it.. then on the floor.. or on his paws from down position.. and praising if he stays still... people teach to balance the treat on the nose.
    Or the easy hold a small treat in one hand with your fist closed and extend both arms out and ask your dog if he can guess which hand you have the treat in.
    Or again put the treat under something like muffin cup or butter box and he has to guess where it is.

Usually those games tires him out a bit at least :P

Advertisement