Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spidereing on server turned off - now ranking plummets...

Options
  • 22-04-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

OK, bacically we have a website that had a very good presence on Google for related keywords etc. We are an authoritive organisation, lots of quality content, website over 10 years old etc.

The server had ongoing problems for a few weeks which eventually brought down the site due to a few lines of code. It took a while to figure that out however and in the middle of the troubles someone advised it was due to the search engines spidering of our site more than usual and stopped this at server level. It was actually a web dev company who recommended this...

Anyway, over a week later and our Google presence seems thrashed. We are no longer appearing for keywords associated with our line of business, even the company name brings up an obscure foreign business with a similar name...

What to do? Are we starting from scratch with SEO?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I appreciate your need to jeep things under wraps, but it's a bit difficult to analyse without a URL (If you want to pm me a link I'll gladly take a quick look).

If you've stopped spiders crawling your site - then your site effectively does not exist any more. You can check either your server logs or webmaster tools to see is there was indeed an overly enthusiastic spider in the time you mentioned and at least see it that's correct.

I'd ensure that your site can now be crawled fully (or as much as it was before) and that all is ok internally (code/setup etc).

Then I'd file a reconsideration request through Webmaster tools to prompt some manual intervention on behalf of Google (might be infinitely quicker than waiting for a recrawl)

C

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Draper666

Thats right if spidering is off your site id F'ed in the rankings. What you can do to slow the crawling problems is set up google webmaster tools and set the rate at which they crawl your site. you can also find out what ip addresses are hitting your site too much and add an exception list

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Try viewing the site with http://www.browseo.net and see if it's appearing correctly.

Advertisement