Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Driving Licence / Learner Permit.

Options
  • 22-04-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I just registered form my learner permit ( About a week ago) and they said due to the new licence it may take 4 to six weeks to arrive. They then gave me a slip with a reference number on it and it was stamped twice. I heard I can use this as a form of licence o use the reference number to apply for insurance are either of these true ?:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

If they said it , it must be true? Whereabouts are you based? I've just sent in an application.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cianmg

I am having the exact same dilemma i really wanna start driving but don't know can i use the receipt they gave me. Ive been waiting 3 week's now it is riducalas how they couldn't print it on the day

I take it that since i have applied and have gotten the receipt they have accepted my application so i can drive. It's the same as if you applied for a renewal they are hardly gonna stop you driving if your license is being printed and sent out.
    Due to this i am going to attempt to get insured on my parent's insurance and drive as i feel frustrated by the waiting and not being able to gain information

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You are not licensed until you have a license in your hand. Driving without a license is not a good idea.

Well i have a receipt with a reference number so i take it i am licensed

• Advertisement

My real issue is that can i get insured without driving license details as all i currently have is the reference but i am licensed i just don't possess the document currently

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭FortyMedals

cianmg wrote: »
    My real issue is that can i get insured without driving license details as all i currently have is the reference but i am licensed i just don't possess the document currently

You can drive with it, and get insured. the slip with the reference number is your temp licence, i was able to change my insurance policy with it as well as drive around with it until my licence came

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That piece of paper is not a license lads. You are not licensed.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭FortyMedals

That piece of paper is not a license lads. You are not licensed.

Odd,

My brother did his theory, and went to the motor tax office and paid for his provisional, they told him he will have to wait to get his licence, but told him the paper slip will allow him drive and do his EDT while he waits for the licence to come, when your at the motor tax office the date they file it is the date on your licence when you get it, he was allowed to drive, same happened to me when i got my full licence, i was told i was allowed to drive as long as i had the slip with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

I had that slip of paper before after adding a "D" category to my license and enquired at the desk in the motor tax ofiice what will happen if I get stopped by guards as I have to drive for work and the car cant be taken off the road ,the lady said I "should" be fine but it wouldnt hurt to carry photo ID in the car ,passport etc to assist the guards should I have been pulled over,I never got stopped luckily so didnt get to find out......just my 2c.

• Advertisement

Yeah Thank's guy's finely some people that actually know what they are talking about and not just speculating great help can't thank you's enough

Advertisement