Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 22-04-2013 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

hi lads
    didnt know there was a home brew thread so ill just throw out a quick intro

recently started home brewing because im a big fan of beer :)
    and because i was looking for a hobby i could do all year round that would be cheap, cheerful and entertaining

im not too knoledgable on brewing but im learning as i go

so far, ive very little equipment too so my inventory is only starting to pick up
    ive already made 2 batches of hooch (prison beer).1st 1 was manageable, but 2nd attempt ended up down the drain.just as a starter proper beer, i have a batch of wheat beer on the brew.tomorrow is 10 days, being bottled at 14 days.
    anyways, look forward to gathering/sharing info and getting a read of all yer storys and ideas

so for now, cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What did you use to make your "hooch"? And what was wrong with the batch you threw away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

What did you use to make your "hooch"? And what was wrong with the batch you threw away?

1st batch, followed the ingred/methods i have in a brew book.cant remember quantities off hand, but orange juice, yeast extracted from brown bread, sugar, water

2nd batch i tried was in a larger quantity with powder form yeast being used instead of extracting it from bread
    hard to describe the taste but it was very unpleasant, along with a sour taste.i had a few different people try it just to make sure it wasnt my tastes turning me off.but results were the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Jaysis, extracting yeast from bread and all :eek:

I've never done anything like that.

and your Wheat Beer, the current brew, is that from a kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

yup indeedy :p
    just following instructions is all!
    yeah the wheat beer is from a kit.got it in the brewing shop in mountmellick
    its expired the end of may so it was on offer for 12 quids.cant be bad

Advertisement