Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduates from UL that didn't get Co-op

Options
  • 22-04-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Have you been successful in finding a good job in your sector after you graduated? In particular I'm interested in science and engineering graduates, because I can imagine that it's difficult to find employment in a lab if you have no experience at all in industry. Just wondering because I know a lot of students (myself included) that didn't get it from that joke of a co-op office & we see it as unfair that the students who were given co-op might have an advantage when they graduate? Is this the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yes that be interesting to know.

A potential FYP for some student.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

No it doesn't really factor in when applying for a job, other colleges in Ireland don't have coop.

To get an interview they usually have a criteria (first class/upper second class honours) after that it's down to the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

reunion wrote: »
    No it doesn't really factor in when applying for a job, other colleges in Ireland don't have coop.

To get an interview they usually have a criteria (first class/upper second class honours) after that it's down to the interview.

I would beg to differ. It mightn't make as much of a difference getting an interview, but I think being able to speak at interview about experiences matters. Coop provides you with experiences to talk about at interview.

In Ireland, there's a large emphasis for graduate programmes on the quality of your degree (specifically with a 2.1 cutoff) and a lot of companies still look at leaving cert points. Since such a large emphasis is placed on these cutoffs to whittle down application numbers, coop mightn't be as big a factor in the initial application.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

YFlyer wrote: »
    Yes that be interesting to know.

A potential FYP for some student.

There's a psychology FYP going on right now regarding psychology student's expectations before going on co-op.
    Could be broadly related to whats being asked here.

Advertisement