Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some help with a best man speech

Options
  • 22-04-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a few pointers for a best man speech this weekend. I wanted to include something about the groom starting off his career as an accountant (which is how we met and which he no longer pursues) e.g. "For those of you who didnt know, Joe started life out as an accountant which is the equivalent of (insert something here) starting his career as a (insert something here).

Also, one of the grooms charchter traits is that he is very talkative and chatty, can anyone think of anything amusing I can throw in there.

The audience will be 60% over the age of 50, a large contingent will be from Kerry and the speech will be before the meal.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

censuspro wrote: »
    a large contingent will be from Kerry
    Any thoughts?

Yep

You're F***ed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

How about something like 'some of you may be aware that (groom) was an accountant in a former life; of course he has held on to some of the traits he picked up in that profession: his calculated risk in marrying (bride) has certainly paid off, always a hit between the (spread)sheets, if (bride) ever suffers from insomnia she can ask him to tell her about his first job', etc. If it was only a short time spent in accountancy i'd say just one or two brief references to it would be more than enough.
    Re groom being chatty, maybe you could start the speech by saying what a novelty it is to get a word in edgeways when the groom is around, and perhaps an anecdote about when his talkative nature has got you both into trouble/a funny situation in the past?
    A quick jibe re GAA rivalries always goes down pretty well, but in general I'd say the best speeches I've heard are at least 60% sincere: it's a great opportunity to tell the groom how much you value his friendship, so try not to take the p1ss too much! Also remember to compliment the bride and bridesmaids, and try to only have pointers written down (not the whole speech) so that it will sound natural and not too rehearsed.
    Re your planned joke, it sort of depends on what the groom does now, what does he work at?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

dee_mc wrote: »
    How about something like 'some of you may be aware that (groom) was an accountant in a former life; of course he has held on to some of the traits he picked up in that profession: his calculated risk in marrying (bride) has certainly paid off, always a hit between the (spread)sheets, if (bride) ever suffers from insomnia she can ask him to tell her about his first job', etc. If it was only a short time spent in accountancy i'd say just one or two brief references to it would be more than enough.
    Re groom being chatty, maybe you could start the speech by saying what a novelty it is to get a word in edgeways when the groom is around, and perhaps an anecdote about when his talkative nature has got you both into trouble/a funny situation in the past?
    A quick jibe re GAA rivalries always goes down pretty well, but in general I'd say the best speeches I've heard are at least 60% sincere: it's a great opportunity to tell the groom how much you value his friendship, so try not to take the p1ss too much! Also remember to compliment the bride and bridesmaids, and try to only have pointers written down (not the whole speech) so that it will sound natural and not too rehearsed.
    Re your planned joke, it sort of depends on what the groom does now, what does he work at?

Thanks for the feedback. The groom is currently a recruitment consultant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Although the internet is good for getting tips I'd advise you to write everything you're going to say yourself.
    Using other people's jokes word for word is never a good idea as they'll come out sounding fake and forced.
    Remember don't try to be like Tommy Tiernan - keep it mostly sincere and try to share things that make you smile and laugh - they will probably make the audience smile and laugh as well.

And whatever you do, don't use any of the hammy material available on different websites. You'd be surprised about how many people do and the results are always awful.

Advertisement