Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really dry lips

• 22-04-2013 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I need a recommendation of a good moisturising/repair lip balm folks. My lips have been so sore and chapped for the last 2 weeks and vaseline is not doing the trick. It coats and moistens them alright briefly, but doesn't seem to give any relief long term.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I have terribly dry lips that chap very easily. I think vaseline was making them worse. I use a rituals lipbalm, works lovely.

http://www.rituals.com/gb-en/product/lip-treat-190

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

A couple of years ago I bought a nivea balm, called something like lips SOS....sorry I can't be more specific! I don't have it anymore, but it was in a small blue and white tube. It really worked wonders, and if I see it again I'll buy 3 of them.

What I usually do now is use a lip scrub from Lush (although olive oil and sugar is the same thing, or gently rubbing your lips with a damp washcloth) and then slather on carmex. After a few days my lips are usually fine again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I have terribly dry lips that chap very easily. I think vaseline was making them worse. I use a rituals lipbalm, works lovely.

http://www.rituals.com/gb-en/product/lip-treat-190

Is this available in boots/chemists? I would ideally like to get something this evening if possible.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Is this available in boots/chemists? I would ideally like to get something this evening if possible.

Their website says that arnotts stock them, I go to and from the US a good bit and get them free during the flight so always hang on to them :o Thought they'd be easily gotten here but having had a look at their website it seems to be just arnotts stocking them, plus a few online retailers that would have cheaper delivery than rituals themselves.

ETA: Sorry I really thought they'd be easy to get. Another one I found just as good (but had forgotten about thanks to free excellent lipbalm) is the sally hansen 24 hour lip treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

OP, my lips are always really dry (I drive a motorbike so I'm really exposed to the elements) and I have eczema which spreads to my lips. I use L'Occitane cocoa flower lip balm and the L'Occitane plain lip balm. They are expensive but I think they're worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I use Carmex and it's great. I have a L'Occitane shea butter one but I actually think I'm mildly allergic to it. Vaseline helps me briefly, but makes my lips worse in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Blistex Intensive moisturiser is very good. In boots or loads of places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I use Carmex Intensive Plus. I don't like the Carmex in the yellow tube but the one I use is great. It worked very quickly and it wasn't sticky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

Anytime my lips get very dry, I use Cymex, it is supposed to be for coldsores, but it can be used for dry chapped lips, find it soothes them and repairs my lips after 2 -3 uses

Vaseline really isn't good for dry lips to be honest, so anything else is likely to help.

I'd second Blistex, it's very good. Otherwise that Nivea SOS is worth using too.

Basically look for anything that's creamy (like blistex or even just a facial moisturiser) rather than things that are waxy/oily (like vaseline or those little tins of lip balm). The waxy lip balms make your lips feel soft/smooth, but they don't actually give the skin any moisture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

This is mad but i can assure you it works.

Rub your index finger behind your ear and then use the natural oil from your skin on your lips. I laughed when i first heard it but then i tried it and it worked.

Really sounds like i'm taking the p*ss but i can assure you i'm not.

I use nivea or labello
    Drink loads more water as well if you can

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Vaseline is better for protecting your lips in a barrier form (from wind/cold), rather than actually moisturising them. I really like Caramex or the Neutrogenia one on the tub, not the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

Blistex Intensive moisturiser is very good and the other protect which is really good is nuxe Ultra-Nourishing Lip Balm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I quite like the Yes to Carrots lip butter

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

The Nuxe lip balm is really good.it has an exfoliant in it(tiny little bits) and is the only thing that works for me. About 11 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I use Cymex and it's brilliant. I had a bad problem with dry lips and my friend gave me a tube of this. Any time I have cracked lips now, it sorts it out quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

The Burt's bees stuff is fantastic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Robyn_14 wrote: »
    The Nuxe lip balm is really good.it has an exfoliant in it(tiny little bits) and is the only thing that works for me. About 11 euro.

I found that the Nuxe dried my lips out :( I'd seen lots of good reviews for it but it's not working for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Another vote for Carmax as a balm. It doesn't have SPF though. For overnight treatment, a drop or two of Trilogy Rosehip oil on your lips is great - it is pricey though, not far off e20 for a tiny bottle.

Also, dry lips can often be dehydrated lips in reality so drink plenty of water to keep all your skin hydrated.

• Advertisement

fiona-f wrote: »
    Another vote for Carmax as a balm. It doesn't have SPF though. For overnight treatment, a drop or two of Trilogy Rosehip oil on your lips is great - it is pricey though, not far off e20 for a tiny bottle.

Also, dry lips can often be dehydrated lips in reality so drink plenty of water to keep all your skin hydrated.

Hi fiona

I know this is offtopic but i'm wondering what else you use the trilogy rosehip oil for and how its going for you
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

quinevere wrote: »
    Hi fiona

I know this is offtopic but i'm wondering what else you use the trilogy rosehip oil for and how its going for you

I use the trilogy every night mixed with my mositurizer,I think its fab, my skin is so soft in the morning. I wouldn't use it pre make up as it takes time to really absorb.

Back on top carmex is great, as is the Dr Organic lip treatments in Holland and Barrett. The ultimate treat though is the Chanel like treament,really works but pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

If you find your lips are really dry, stop using lip balm altogether! Your lips are addicted - you've put so much balm on them that they've stopped bothering to produce their own oils and moisture because it's not necessary. Go on a lip balm detox, use a soft toothbrush to get rid of excess flakes, drink lots of water, and your lips will almost never be dry.

tigerblob wrote: »
    If you find your lips are really dry, stop using lip balm altogether! Your lips are addicted - you've put so much balm on them that they've stopped bothering to produce their own oils and moisture because it's not necessary. Go on a lip balm detox, use a soft toothbrush to get rid of excess flakes, drink lots of water, and your lips will almost never be dry.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case with me. Especially in winter, although the weather's not so bad at the moment. If I went without lipbalm in winter I'd have bleeding lips that just get worse and worse and worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Lanolips is great or Figs and Rouge - both are 100% natural and can be got in the larger Boots. Google both

fiona-f wrote: »
    I drink a decent amount of water i think daily, at a minimum a litre a day. I could up it though and see if it makes a difference.
    tigerblob wrote: »

While i agree, its easier said than done. I'm a lip gloss addict and i do think its causing the problem but its a vicious cycle. If i go longer than an hour without some my lips are sooooo dry and sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Out of desperation i used germolene for dry lips and it worked great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

This is the most amazing lip balm I have ever used in my life..
    Has been mentioned above

baume-levres.png

Some McCabes sell it, and I know Nuxe is in Arnotts

I use EOS all the time now, it's light and sinks in quite well - haven't had dry lips since I started using it actually

Get them on www.beautyemporium.ie or amazon or ebay

tumblr_li2913YiXG1qb20i2o1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Glowla

Blistex Intensive Care is very good, as already noted by other posters but for the days when my lips are super dry I find Blistex 'Medplus for Lips' is super! It comes in a small blue pot and has a Carmex-y taste about it. I also think this is great at night time when I lash it on and my lips are in good condition the following morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Aldi do a three pack of Lip Balms for €1.49, the yellow (Coconut) one is also quite good

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_22393.htm

This is the most amazing lip balm I have ever used in my life..
    Has been mentioned above

baume-levres.png

Some McCabes sell it, and I know Nuxe is in Arnotts

I use EOS all the time now, it's light and sinks in quite well - haven't had dry lips since I started using it actually

Get them on www.beautyemporium.ie or amazon or ebay

tumblr_li2913YiXG1qb20i2o1_400.jpg

Have to say the nuxe is def the better option I've tried Elizabeth Arden 8 hour lip rescue/ Lrp lip repair and so many I can't remember the nuxe is def my favourite only killer is if you lose it!! It is on mc cabes that where I get it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

BEPANTHEN BEPANTHEN BEPANTHEN!

Put it on before your lips before go to bed and after a few days they'll be so smooth.

http://www.boots.com/en/Bepanthen-Ointment-100g_10315/

Went for Blistex in the end, only actually got time to buy it today. €2.79 cheap as chips! Feels nice and moisturising without just sitting on top like vaseline. Will report back in a few days to see if it works ;)

anniehoo wrote: »
    I drink a decent amount of water i think daily, at a minimum a litre a day. I could up it though and see if it makes a difference.

I'd drink at least 2l tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Anaiyela

Hey, Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream is great for chapped lips

elizabeth-arden-eight-hour-cream-tube2496.jpg

• Advertisement

Reporting back. The Blistex worked great, i only really needed to use it for 3 days (didnt use lipgloss at al) and my lips feel in much better condition now and not so dry and sore. ;)

Advertisement