Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treatment of subs

• 22-04-2013 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick query re something that's been really getting on my nerves.

I'm employed as a sub teacher. I've been in the school since January. While everyone is very friendly and I'm happy here, I seem to be getting constant subtle reminders that I'm a sub.

For example, a letter came to the school today addressed to the 5th year (subject) teacher, which is me while I am here. However, it just misses my pigeon hole and goes straight to the other teacher of that subject. Same thing goes for reps dropping in books. They seem to be told not to give them to me.

In some ways, I can understand that they want to keep things to the permanent staff. But at the same time, I am supposed to be subbing for a teacher, which I feel should include things like opening envelopes relevant to the students in my class.

Am I just missing the point? :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its a common issue. You are the teacher while you are there but the other side of the coin is that "its while your there". Books are always a sticking point because if you get all the books/notices, then you take these when you leave and rep must give more to the school. Remember books are samples for picking books and subs generally wouldn't do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

TheDriver wrote: »
    Its a common issue. You are the teacher while you are there but the other side of the coin is that "its while your there". Books are always a sticking point because if you get all the books/notices, then you take these when you leave and rep must give more to the school. Remember books are samples for picking books and subs generally wouldn't do this.

Yes, I can understand the books. That's been happening on and off for the last few months.

It's the letter re fifth years that really sparked me off this morning. At this time of year, it's probably just about summer courses or something. I would have thought I would have been worthy of that small responsibility at least .... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

teach88 wrote: »
    Yes, I can understand the books. That's been happening on and off for the last few months.

It's the letter re fifth years that really sparked me off this morning. At this time of year, it's probably just about summer courses or something. I would have thought I would have been worthy of that small responsibility at least .... :cool:

I wouldn't take it to heart. In the staffroom, you hear "who teaches fifth year Irish?" "I think X might have them." Ok, stick notice into pigeon hole. Often, you might hear "No, I think Y has them". Its not deliberate, its just convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

General information for subjects should go to the subject co-ordinator, it would be this persons responsibility to make sure each teacher of the subject gets the information. That clearlly would not be you so maybe this is what is happening.

I'm sure if it was specific stuff about your students it would come to you. Most of the other things are junk in general but I can see why it would be given to a permanent member of staff over a sub. It isn't anything personal it just makes sense.

I can guarantee you that the other members of staff have not given this a second thought. It certainly wouldnt be anything being done on purpose.

We have a sub in for a maternity leave in English until the summer, started a few months ago I suppose. If I happened to find something lying around with 5th Year English teacher on it I would give it to one of the permanent members of staff as I would feel they would know what to do with it, who to give it to, who to show it to, etc. If it was something specifically addressed to Mrs. X (the person on maternity leave) I would leave it in her pigeon hole and unless you were 100% certain what was going to be in it I would presume you would not open it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

seavill wrote: »
    I'm sure if it was specific stuff about your students it would come to you. Most of the other things are junk in general but I can see why it would be given to a permanent member of staff over a sub. It isn't anything personal it just makes sense.

I can guarantee you that the other members of staff have not given this a second thought. It certainly wouldnt be anything being done on purpose.

Yes, you're probably right. I guess it's just natural to want to be part of the team so to speak.... life as a sub... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Oh definately I know what you are saying, but particularly teachers that have been there for a number of years see subs coming and going constantly, never mind teachers who are only there for a year or two and then gone, and without meaning to sound harsh if its a maternity leave everyone knows you will be gone soon so its only natural to "bypass" them unintentionally without thinking about it.
    Should you find yourself in a years contract (maybe more) with your own hours you will see that it wont be the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

and there are lots and lots of people passing through each school each year, some people last a day, some a week, some a year. Yet all are forgotten about ina day which would be the same for all of us. Don't think about it any more!

Advertisement