Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router dropping wireless

Options
  • 22-04-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I have a Linksys WAG120N router/ADSL modem, and I find when I come home sometimes the Wifi light is on but I get authentication errors on my SGS2, same as my mams Mint laptop.

It had worked before fine, then I read you should disable UPnP on your router for security reasons, I did this but not sure it's related as I turned it back on and the issue still happens. I hadn't messed around with anyother settings recently.
    The internet works fine as my PC is connected via cable and can still access the net, turning the SSID broadcast on/off or resetting the router power makes it come back on but prefer it to stay on!
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

download this app (free)

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

install it on a mac, windows or android based device and run it

it will tell you the wifi channels all your neighbour's routers are using

then you log onto your own wifi router and set the wifi channel to something none of the other routers in range are using.

also move any cordless phones or baby comms away from the router as they too can interfere with wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

what is the ssid name? it should be simple. no numbers, spaces or special characters, this can actually cause some problems.

Also, consider swapping out the hardware. 802.11AC is being rolled out steadily. N will be for the most part phased out by 2014 with only a few deadbeat models left on the shelves by then. Not to mention the older your router/devices, the older your security.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Overheal wrote: »
    what is the ssid name? it should be simple. no numbers, spaces or special characters, this can actually cause some problems.

Also, consider swapping out the hardware. 802.11AC is being rolled out steadily. N will be for the most part phased out by 2014 with only a few deadbeat models left on the shelves by then. Not to mention the older your router/devices, the older your security.

wireless ac has great range BUT if you buy one make sure it is dual band model otherwise a crappy old 54g device will hog the wifi slowing down any device that is wireless ac will only run at wireless g speeds.

if you have a lot of devices that are wireless g or n its best keep an older wireles router and set it up as a range extender and only connect wireles g or n devices to that rather than your wireless ac router.

Advertisement